The Chat Thread

General chit-chat and banter, anything goes old bean.
Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Re: The Chat Thread

Post by Kismet » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:21 pm

There are more rats around than usual this winter, but the cat is quite a good deterrent.

Well, I applied many years worth of 'find the hidden rodent' skills last night. We started with a torch, checking the rat wasn't under the dressers or behind the tumble dryer. Various bits hidden in these places by the cat were removed and access blocked. We moved onto the tool cupboard, checked that was clear, refilled it with tools, made sure it couldn't be accessed and moved on. Eventually, we had one small thing to move behind the drawer the kitchen tv stands on and there we found the rat.

Eldest daughter wanted to catch it in the net so I watched her move boxes to block portions and reduce the size of its hiding place until it shot out, avoided the net and cornered itself in the kitchen where daughter still couldn't net it and it disappeared behind my bench.

I insisted the kitchen door was opened and we returned to moving things until the rat ran out of hiding place and bolted once more, this time out of the door (luckily it was a mild night). There was a slight tangle at the door between the cat, the rat and my eldest, but we are pretty sure that the rat didn't come back in. At least 90% sure.

After two hours of rat hunting, I had had enough last night. I've left everything out, disinfected the exposed bits of carpet and shortly we will put the room back together and have a final check for our little brown friend.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Tracer
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Vampire and Concorde
Favourite Book: The Last of the Wine by Mary Renault
Quote: The thousand-yard stare

Post by Tracer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 am

:claphappy: A good job done there despite overwhelming odds!
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:01 pm

It seems to be a week where my life doesn't run smoothly.

After a lovely weekend celebrating my mother's birthday with my brother and sister-in-law (we let my mother join in, too) I slid into my much loved, very battered 21 year old Audi and it refused to go into gear. Some hours later, I was recovered home (driven by a lad I was at Junior School with) and sending messages to the poor man charged with keeping my car on the road. Much to his disappointment (he tells me in the pub all about cars in much better condition than mine that are going to be scrapped and will only cost me a few hundred but I remain loyal), it looks like it will be fixable quite cheaply.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
My top chap: Ginger
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Fails to Return
Quote: Aim high.

Post by kylie_koyote » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:45 pm

I'm glad it didn't decide to break down on you in the middle of nowhere - at least you were at your mother's! It could have been much worse.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:51 pm

I'm very grateful that it wasn't much worse, Kylie. I don't often use a mobile phone, so I wasn't bothered when mine got a deathscreen a few days ago (I'll just wait until one of the brood updates then use their old one for car journeys and emergencies) so I would have been driving on rural roads with patchy signal, no phone and a good walk to the nearest house or a wait for some good Samaritan to come by and stop. As it was, I sat at my mother's, with a constant supply of tea, and read a book on my tablet whilst waiting.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Well, if you're going to break down, you may as well be comfortable.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:34 pm

My car is indestructible. I have picked it up and paid the garage tab. £20 to mend it!

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Favourite Book: Fails to Return
Quote: Aim high.

Post by kylie_koyote » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Here's an interesting video about a recently re-found WW2 aircraft carrier that was sunk 76 years ago in a naval battle:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/02/1 ... ng-videos/
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."

Frecks
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Favourite Book: Black Peril
Quote: No man is an island

Post by Frecks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:29 pm

Just watched Only Connect and one of the clues was about Biggles' companions - the team did not have a clue and looked quite bewildered when Victoria Coren Mitchell explained who they were. She said it was a question you would either know or not know. Even Mr. Frecks recognised the names straight away :lol:

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:45 pm

I wish I'd seen that! I must try to remember to watch it on the i-player. I hope I recognise the connection.

Frecks
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Favourite Book: Black Peril
Quote: No man is an island

Post by Frecks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:05 pm

You will definitely know the connection Kismet - there are five named characters and one of them is red herring.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:20 pm

That sounds manageable!

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:49 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -quiz.html

I found this marvellous quiz on dialect and identifying where in the country you come from. It placed me as originating somewhere between Blackpool and Leeds, which is spot on; my eldest daughter, much to her horror, was firmly identified as Cumbrian. We had a lovely time arguing over correct terms (speg vs chuddy anyone?) and I discovered she'd never heard the term Corporation Pop. It's great fun.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:59 pm

I did the quiz as well and it had me bang to rights. East Midlands. Mr FB also took it and it showed that he was, to quote him, "basically from Scotland", which was correct but not quite the finer detail I would have liked.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

elderlyfemalerelati1
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
My top chap: Algy
Favorite Aircraft: spitfire
Favourite Book: Flies East
Quote: Oh well.

Post by elderlyfemalerelati1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:21 pm

Just did the quiz too, and they got me to within a few miles. And I don't speak in dialect, either.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:10 pm

I was surprised, that after twenty five plus years of Cumbrian being in my ears - and I taught at the college so I heard strong Cumbrian day in and day out, - that my word choices came from a place I left when I was eighteen. I knew that despite mostly speaking Standard English, there were a few sentence constructions that were Northern in my speech, and the occasional dialect word, but I am amazed that it is possible to pinpoint my origins so closely with twenty five questions.

Return to “Chat”