Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
My top chap: Ginger
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Fails to Return
Quote: Aim high.

Biggles Graphic Novels

Post by kylie_koyote » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:34 pm

This thread originally contained photographs. Click here: http://bigglesforum.net/forum/viewtopic ... 6d8f5c5e13

Biggles Graphic Novels
Postby OzBiggles1963 » 11 Oct 2013, 13:38

This graphic novel on ebay is located in America apparently....I wonder who published this? I've never heard of it, although I do have 2 graphic novels [Spitfire Parade & Biggles & The Battle Of Britain] purcahed a few years ago.

The description says it is "3 in 1", although I wonder if The Lost Oasis [Parts 1 & 2] is actually Biggles Flies South? Kind of an interesting compilation, i.e. a war story [?WW2] followed by an 'inter-war adventure'....hmmm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIGGLES-SUPER-S ... rens_Books
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Biggles Graphic Novels

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 11 Oct 2013, 13:46

Wow, this 2nd graphic novel on eBay [Biggles 'Sky Wars'] has even more bizarre story titles:

1)THE LAST ZEPPELIN
2) THE 13th TOOTH OF THE DEVIL
3) THE WOTAN SWORD

Where on Earth did these Biggles stories originate from? Is this legitimate? [I mean to say...."the 13th Tooth Of The Devil"?..."The Wotan Sword"?.....surely this is um, quite strange, lol]:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIGGLES-SKY-WAR ... 2644774%26
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 11 Oct 2013, 22:46

These have been appearing on Ebay for a few months now. I asked about them in another thread (Graphic Novels) back around June but nobody seemed to know anything. At the prices they're asking, I don't intend to be the one to find out, either! :shock:
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by VickersVandal » 11 Oct 2013, 23:18

These are printed in India but incredibly hard to get hold of. I currently have a librarian helping me track down copies of Lost Oasis 1 & 2. A few years ago I tried to order Lost Oasis 1 from the publisher in India and the fellow who responded demanded some utterly exorbitant rate (equivalent of around AU$80 I think) for shipping so I told him to shove it.

Those two are Biggles Flies South and (I believe) Sweeps The Desert. I think the other titles in the series are probably non-canonical.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby The Professor » 11 Oct 2013, 23:33

They sound fun though :mrgreen:
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby VickersVandal » 12 Oct 2013, 01:55

The Professor wrote:
They sound fun though :mrgreen:

Heck yeah! The artwork looks really good. Probably the best I've seen of the graphic novels.
They've used a DeHavilland Dagon Rapide for Lost Oasis, which is pretty close to the DH Dragonfly that, strictly speaking, it should be. So my anorak needs are satisfied :mrgreen:
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by OzBiggles1963 » 12 Oct 2013, 08:18

Sizzling Sausages wrote:
These have been appearing on Ebay for a few months now. I asked about them in another thread (Graphic Novels) back around June but nobody seemed to know anything. At the prices they're asking, I don't intend to be the one to find out, either! :shock:

Most intriguing.....looking at the eBay seller again, this one wants US$31 to post......wow!
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by kylie_koyote » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 12 Oct 2013, 08:25

VickersVandal wrote:
These are printed in India but incredibly hard to get hold of. I currently have a librarian helping me track down copies of Lost Oasis 1 & 2. A few years ago I tried to order Lost Oasis 1 from the publisher in India and the fellow who responded demanded some utterly exorbitant rate (equivalent of around AU$80 I think) for shipping so I told him to shove it. Those two are Biggles Flies South and (I believe) Sweeps The Desert. I think the other titles in the series are probably non-canonical.

Fascinating...India you say? I wonder who they got copyright permission from [if indeed they did], especially if the 'Sky Wars' collection has 3 'non-canonical' stories in it. Surely this is illegal?....

The description for the 'Sky Wars' novel says: "BIGGLES: SKY WARS characters created by Captain W.E. Johns. An extremely rare ENGLISH copy of a BIGGLES 3-in-1 graphic novel. This may be your ONLY CHANCE to own one like it. They are out of print, and the print run was very limited in 2007."

So, this one is in the English language, which leads to the question....are they also done in other languages? Hmmm....if the print run is 'very limited', perhaps this was done in 2007 by some private person or ?Indian Biggles enthusiast [someone who has adapted 3 existing stories for graphic novel format And invented 3 further non-orginal stories].
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Biggles 'Super Squadron'??
Postby OzBiggles1963 » 12 Oct 2013, 08:29

VickersVandal wrote:
.....Heck yeah! The artwork looks really good. Probably the best I've seen of the graphic novels. They've used a DeHavilland Dagon Rapide for Lost Oasis, which is pretty close to the DH Dragonfly that, strictly speaking, it should be. So my anorak needs are satisfied :mrgreen:

Yes, I love the artwork too, especially the cover you mention above ["anorak".... :lol: Never heard this saying b4, but I think I have "anorak" OCD tendencies too, lol]. One the reasons I bought the 'other' graphic novels [i.e. Spitfire Parade & Battle Of Britain etc] was for the artwork.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Lycaea » 12 Oct 2013, 09:25

Why, haven’t you heard of the infamous comics that portray Algy with a red moustache? These are the ones! A Belgian series of Biggles albums, first drawn by Francis Bergèse. Eric Loutte and Frank Leclercq are later artists. The first titles were after books by Johns, but most are newly written, so the publishing company must have an arrangement with the copyright holder. The last one was published in 2006.

The lost oasis is not Flies South, it is written by Michel Oleffe, has Bertie in it, and von Stalhein (blond...), and other bad-guy Germans (it’s closing up to WW 2 and Biggles thinks von Stalhein was dead so bye-bye, & Co) and bad-guy Germans playing around with – well, to be honest, I don’t know if is is resuscitated mummies or just plain aliens.

Super Squadron is, I believe, the one called Squadron Biggles back in 1994. Some variation of parts of Spitfire parade.

I’ve always been partial to the artwork of these artist, it’s only a shame they’ve done such a mess of the characters!! And somewhere in there I spotted a South American parrot in Asia :kill: So even though I’ve got them all, most of them in French, I hardly ever read them because it’s a strain on my nerves...
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Tommy Smith » 12 Oct 2013, 09:34

Interesting thread. I didn't know Biggles graphic novels existed. I found this link to a Mag with very old school 'Dan Dare' style illos, which has unfortunately left me dying to know what happened next.

http://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06 ... ggles.html
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 12 Oct 2013, 10:07
Lycaea wrote:Why, haven’t you heard of the infamous comics that portray Algy with a red moustache? These are the ones! A Belgian series of Biggles albums, first drawn by Francis Bergèse. Eric Loutte and Frank Leclercq are later artists. The first titles were after books by Johns, but most are newly written, so the publishing company must have an arrangement with the copyright holder. The last one was published in 2006....]

Ah yes, I had heard of the 'infamous' Belgian comics [lol] some time ago, I think when I was on the Yahoo Biggles site about 10 yrs ago they were mentioned. I did at the time see some of the characters & how they were drawn. However, I think VV suggested that these later two on eBay were published in "India" in the English language......ok, so Belgian in origin not Indian?

Perhaps since 2006 it seems they have done some more graphic novels in 2007....cool ! [the eBay description states 'limited run' in 2007 I think. But why so expensive?
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Lycaea » 12 Oct 2013, 10:29

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
Ah yes, I had heard of the 'infamous' Belgian comics [lol] some time ago, I think when I was on the Yahoo Biggles site about 10 yrs ago they were mentioned. I did at the time see some of the characters & how they were drawn. However, I think VV suggested that these later two on eBay were published in "India" in the English language......ok, so Belgian in origin not Indian?

Perhaps since 2006 it seems they have done some more graphic novels in 2007....cool ! [the eBay description states 'limited run' in 2007 I think. But why so expensive?

All of the title quoted here, Last Zeppelin, 13th tooth, Wotan Sword, are Belgian comics published earlier than 2006. I don’t think they were published in English, and perhaps someone in India has done a very limited edition (like Norman Wright is doing with some books)?

Tommy Smith wrote:
Interesting thread. I didn't know Biggles graphic novels existed. I found this link to a Mag with very old school 'Dan Dare' style illos, which has unfortunately left me dying to know what happened next.

You probably can – if you know your French :) . A Belgian company published two albums with these comics, by Ron Embleton and Mike Western, 2002–2003. The album titles are: Sabotage à Canberra, and Biggles Contre le Dr. Zanchu / Biggles Contre von Stalhein. (I haven’t actually looked through them to see if that particular page is in there though.) But I think – it’s been some time since I read them too – Algy is not in those comics.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Tommy Smith » 12 Oct 2013, 10:53

Good lead for tracking it down, thank you. Hadn't heard of the artists Ron Embleton or Mike Western before and Biggles Contre le Dr. Zanchu does indeed seem to be the story.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Sizzling Sausages » 12 Oct 2013, 22:36

Tommy Smith wrote:

http://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06 ... ggles.html

Copies of TV Express with the Biggles comics in them crop up every now and again on Ebay - I think I've got one floating around somewhere.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby kylie_koyote » 19 Mar 2014, 18:27

I recently acquired one of the 3-in-1 graphic novels in English. It has three stories in it:

"The Pirates of the South Pole" (Biggles 2nd Case)
"The Yellow Swan" (Sgt. Bigglesworth CID - no idea where they got this name!)
"The Flight of the Wallenstein" (non-canonical, but shows Bertie with his family, kind of fun)

I also have the "13th tooth of the devil" but it's in French. To the best of my (rather limited) French, this is also non-canon.

I'm most curious as to what sort of copyright permissions they got to write non-canonical Biggles stories.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby SaintedAunt » 19 Mar 2014, 21:24

I unreservedly dislike all those horrible comics with their bizarre illustrations etc. BUT... I do think it's fun to have a few in a foreign language. I recently acquired Biggles & Co in French, published by Presses de la Cite, a well known French publisher. I thought I might improve my French while my Biggles books were packed in bubble wrap :lol:
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby kylie_koyote » 19 Mar 2014, 21:28

I'm on the lookout for Biggles books in Spanish. If anybody has a lead on this, please let me know.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby SaintedAunt » 20 Mar 2014, 02:12

kylie_koyote wrote:
I'm on the lookout for Biggles books in Spanish. If anybody has a lead on this, please let me know.

Have you tried Spanish ebay ? http://www.ebay.es
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by kylie_koyote » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 20 Mar 2014, 23:41

SaintedAunt wrote:
I unreservedly dislike all those horrible comics with their bizarre illustrations etc.

I have "Spitfire Parade", "Flying Detective" and "Biggles and the Battle of Britain". I have always detested the illustration of Algy with that moustache :nono: . However, they served as a great introduction to Biggles for my grandsons when they were younger and more interested in comic type literature - so mission accomplished, I guess 8-)
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by SaintedAunt » 21 Mar 2014, 09:59

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
SaintedAunt wrote:
I unreservedly dislike all those horrible comics with their bizarre illustrations etc.

I have "Spitfire Parade", "Flying Detective" and "Biggles and the Battle of Britain". I have always detested the illustration of Algy with that moustache :nono: . However, they served as a great introduction to Biggles for my grandsons when they were younger and more interested in comic type literature - so mission accomplished, I guess 8-)

Yes - true :) In contrast, the hardback graphic book of the Cruise of the Condor has very nice pictures and the landscapes are wonderfully painted. It's often on ebay quite cheaply.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Fairblue » 22 Mar 2014, 14:20

I've never bothered with the graphic/comic editions before, but by all accounts they can be quite interesting. The first time I saw Algy withTHAT MOUSTACHE was on this forum. It took me days to recover from the shock. :shock:
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby kylie_koyote » 22 Mar 2014, 14:30

Fairblue wrote:
I've never bothered with the graphic/comic editions before, but by all accounts they can be quite interesting. The first time I saw Algy with THAT MOUSTACHE was on this forum. It took me days to recover from the shock. :shock:

The one I just got in the mail "The flight of the Wallenstein" is non-canonical, but I enjoyed it. Shortly after the end of the war, Bertie goes to one of his family's estates, this one in Scotland, and we meet Bertie's uncle and his two small cousins. Bertie and his uncle's sister-in-law, out on a walk, spot a plane behaving oddly. Bertie investigates but an attempt is made on his life by cutting the brakes of his car, which goes over a cliff as he and his dog leap for their lives. Bertie phones up Biggles and chums in London, and they come to investigate. A group of rogue Nazis have been trying to get a plane that crashed during the war. Biggles & Co. solve the mystery. Everyone lives happily ever after. The End.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by OzBiggles1963 » 22 Mar 2014, 14:52

kylie_koyote wrote:
Fairblue wrote:
I've never bothered with the graphic/comic editions before, but by all accounts they can be quite interesting. The first time I saw Algy with THAT MOUSTACHE was on this forum. It took me days to recover from the shock. :shock:
The one I just got in the mail "The flight of the Wallenstein" is non-canonical, but I enjoyed it. Shortly after the end of the war, Bertie goes to one of his family's estates, this one in Scotland, and we meet Bertie's uncle and his two small cousins. Bertie and his uncle's sister-in-law, out on a walk, spot a plane behaving oddly. Bertie investigates but an attempt is made on his life by cutting the brakes of his car, which goes over a cliff as he and his dog leap for their lives. Bertie phones up Biggles and chums in London, and they come to investigate. A group of rogue Nazis have been trying to get a plane that crashed during the war. Biggles & Co. solve the mystery. Everyone lives happily ever after. The End.

Sounds like a great premise for a story, & if written in the "WEJ" style, I am all for it! Just curious if the estate of WEJ has had something to say about these. :thinking2:
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Fairblue » 22 Mar 2014, 17:32

kylie_koyote wrote:
. A group of rogue Nazis have been trying to get a plane that crashed during the war. Biggles & Co. solve the mystery. Everyone lives happily ever after. The End.

No how spooky is that. I have started a fanfic which involves a crashed plane (a war grave) but this is set in Yorkshire.
"That's better."

Return to “Biggles Comics and Graphic Books”