RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Biggles Out of Favour

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:25 pm

Well, this one has languished for about 5 years. My New Year's goal is to finish unfinished fics (and not yield to the temptation to post new ones till existing ones are completed). I thought this was the only one still to be completed, but then I discovered another that I'd forgotten about - Collision Course - a crossover and I sighed :doh: Seems I have more work to do.

But I'll endeavour to make progress with this old one - if enough folk are interested - before revisiting the other :writing:

So, here are the opening bits of Biggles Out of Favour...

Biggles Out of Favour
Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 28 Apr 2013, 23:33

Will start re-posting with the most recent (and this only has one chapter up so far....)

Biggles Out of Favour

“So what did Raymond say?” Ginger rose from the corner of his CO’s desk as Squadron Leader Bigglesworth entered his office, closing the door behind him. He cast an annoyed glance at the younger officer.

“I’ve told you before, I don’t like you referring to the Air Commodore by his surname,” Biggles snapped as he continued around the desk to stare out his window, hands thrust in his trouser pockets. Ginger exchanged a speculative glance with Algy and subsided into a nearby chair.

“That bad, was it?” Algy moved to stand beside his cousin. After a few more moments, Biggles rubbed a weary hand across his face and turned back towards his two closest friends.

“I’m being sent out to take command of what’s left of the RAF squadron on Murawae Island in the eastern Indian Ocean – effective immediately.”

“Well, that answers my question of when we leave,” responded Algy with gentle humour. “By the way, when do we leave?”

“We don’t leave, Algy. This is just me. I’m the one in the firing line. You fellows will be staying here. You’re taking command of 666, old boy,” he smiled crookedly at his friend.

“Rot!” retorted Algy acerbically. “Where you go, we go. Raymond knows that. We’ve been in this together from the start. Ginger and I – and the rest of the gang for that matter – will be going with you. I’ll go and see Raymond myself and tell him!”

“And you’ll wind up facing charges, too. Don’t be a fool,” Biggles sighed. “No sense in any more of us getting it in the neck. As the yanks say, ‘The buck stops here’. That’s why they appoint commanding officers.”

“You were given a job to do – and you did it. Damned successfully, too,” snarled Algy. “I’m damned if I’ll take your command just because some brass hat in Whitehall doesn’t like your success rate!”

“Swearing’s not going to help, old boy,” interjected Biggles mildly, as he raised his eyebrows at his 2IC and cocked his head. “I did things my own way once too often and now I’m paying the price. Raymond can’t cover for me this time.”

At Ginger’s inelegant snort, he turned his eyes to his young protégé whose looming protest was cut short by Algy.

“It’s okay if Biggles calls him ‘Raymond’, Ginger. It’s only insubordination if you or I do it,” the Flight Lieutenant explained with biting sarcasm.

“All right, knock it off, the pair of you,” frowned Biggles. “I’m not in the mood for it.” He faced Algy again and seemed to finally take in his friend’s belligerent stance and set face. “It could have been worse, old boy. They could have given me a desk job at the Ministry,” he finished with a touch of his old humour.

“Hummph!” was the only response he received and he realised that Algy would not be soothed. His own innate sense of justice had been deeply offended, so he could understand his cousin’s attitude only too well. He continued staring out the window, wondering if he could have avoided this situation by doing things differently. But no, he knew he wouldn’t have changed his modus operandi. He had been given a tough job and had done it. Unfortunately he had stepped on some influential toes and would now pay the price. Biggles found that his normally philosophical approach to life and living with the outcome of his decisions, was being severely challenged. He ran a hand through the fair hair flopping rebelliously across his forehead and turned away from the window. He smiled whimsically at the two men who were closer to him than any other friends he had ever made.

“Might not be a good career choice, Algy old son. I’m being moved downwards and sideways. It won’t look good on your service record when this show is over and we’re looking for civilian employment.”

“Do you seriously think Ginger and I give a hoot about that!” exclaimed Algy belligerently. “After all we’ve been through together – hell! After all we’ve done for King and country – we’re not going to let that low down snake get away with this.”

“Algy,” Biggles remonstrated, “I sincerely trust you’re not speaking about Raymond….”

“See, Ginger, I told you it’s okay when Biggles…” interrupted Algy triumphantly, only to be stopped mid-sentence by his cousin’s quelling gaze.

“This isn’t a joke, Algy.” The serious hazel eyes then turned to the younger Flying Officer whose beginning smile quickly vanished when he met his CO’s unrelenting gaze. He turned back to Algy. “And Raymond did go in to bat for us – for me. Trouble was, I trod on some very sensitive toes when I overruled young Thornbury and now his father’s considerable ire is being brought to bear. It’s easier for all concerned to move me.”

“If Thornbury wants to bring his father’s big guns in to this, Bertie and I can both…” But Biggles again cut his cousin’s tirade off.

“Don’t be a fool, Algy! I can’t undo what’s happened and we both know I wouldn’t have done anything different – even knowing this would be the result. We know the truth and so does Raymond. But there’s no need for everyone else to go into exile with me. You are going to stay here and take command of 666. The boys will need you.”

Algy stared contemplatively at Biggles for a long moment, while Ginger stared at them both in fascinated attention. He had seen the two disagree and argue vigorously on several occasions, but he sensed that this had moved to a new level.

“Well, I’m coming with you – you can’t be trusted on your own. You know we always look out for each other. And don’t pretend to be surprised when the whole blinkin’ squadron puts in for a transfer to Murawae. Come on Ginger, we’ve got work to do,” and Algy picked up his hat and moved towards the door.

“You can’t just disobey a direct command and expect to get away with it, Algy. Raymond’s already gazetted your promotion and new position. It’ll be posted tomorrow.”

“He can just ungazette and unpost it, then,” retorted Algy imperturbably. “What can he do – send me into exile as well?”

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Biggles Out of Favour

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:26 pm

Postby MarieJanis » 02 May 2013, 14:08

Can't wait to see how Biggles turns this beginning around! :? :o :nono:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:27 pm

Postby Fairblue » 06 May 2013, 20:28

I can't wait to see what 'Algy will do. :D

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:27 pm

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 30 Jul 2013, 07:30

FB - you should know that Algy wouldn't take this lying down :lol:

Biggles Out of Favour [cont'd]

“Algy,” Biggles had one last despairing attempt at making his cousin see reason. “There’s nothing to be gained and everything to be lost if you’re silly enough to throw your towel in with me over this.”

“Rot!” retorted Algy rudely. “I threw my towel in with you too long ago to change direction now. He pushed the door open impatiently and glared at Ginger. “Are you coming with me or not?”

“I’m with you,” muttered Ginger grabbing his own hat and, ignoring his Commanding Officer’s objections departed with his Flight Commander.

Biggles stared helplessly at the door that Algy had not quite slammed shut upon his departure and turned to contemplate his desk. A whimsical smile began to play around his mouth and the hard lines around his hazel eyes relaxed. “Silly fools,” he murmured, feeling strangely comforted as he sank into his chair. In his heart he was totally unsurprised at Algy’s and Ginger’s joint reaction, for, despite his appeal to Algy’s common sense, he had always known this would be the outcome. “Just hope they don’t wind up under arrest,” he sighed as he regarded the pile of paper in his in-tray. For a long rebellious moment he contemplated ignoring it and leaving it to the tender mercies of whoever would take over the squadron, but his own rigorous personal discipline would not allow him to neglect even these mundane duties. He regarded it for a moment longer and turned once more to gaze out the window across the RAF base that had been his home since the dark days of the Battle of Britain.

As Algy and Ginger stormed through the Squadron Orderly Room, attracting startled glances from the administrative staff, they encountered Bertie on his way in.

“What ho, you two. Is the old Biggles back yet?”

Algy grabbed Bertie’s arm and unceremoniously shoved him out the door and into the open air away from listening ears.

“I say, old boy,” protested Bertie as he tried to release his arm from Algy’s offending grasp. “No need to grip quite so hard, if you see what I mean…” his voice trailed off as he took in the grim expressions on the others’ faces. “Oh dear, things didn’t go well, I take it?”

“That’d be the understatement of the century!” exploded Ginger. “Biggles has been shoved over to the other side of the globe – and they expect us to stay here and do nothing about it!”

Bertie surveyed the angry young Flying Officer through his monocle with far more seriousness than his accustomed flippancy and then looked enquiringly at Algy.

“It’s true, Bertie,” agreed Algy savagely. “That wretched idiot of a Thornbury has gone and bleated to Daddy that Biggles not only disobeyed his direct order but that he told him exactly what he thought of his hair-brained scheme.” He pushed his hat further back from his brow, shoved his hands in his pockets and glared helplessly at his friend. “I’m all for talking to our gov’nors and running some intervention but Biggles won’t hear of it – of course,” he finished angrily. “Says I’ve been gazetted as the new CO of 666 and he’s off to some unpronounceable island in the Indian Ocean!”

“Well, I’m all for talking to my Pater if you think it’d do any good. No good being a peer of the realm if we can’t help Biggles out of this fix, no by Jove, no bally good at all,” averred Bertie as he polished his eyeglass in some agitation. He looked again at Algy. “What are you planning on doing about it, old boy?”

“I’m going up to the Air Ministry to talk to Raymond and tell him a thing or two,” declared the Honourable Algernon Montgomery Lacey with grim determination. “Thornbury’s had it in for Biggles ever since he managed to get that hair-brained plan of his for the Squadron overturned last year. I can’t believe Raymond’s let Biggles take the fall for this!”

“Well, I’m coming with you,” declared Ginger firmly. “Raymond needs to know we’re all standing with Biggles on this. Why do they think there’s a waiting list of people wanting to join this squadron? It’s all because of Biggles and I’m going to tell him so.”

“Uh oh, young warrior,” interjected Bertie seriously, replacing his eyeglass and surveying his subordinate sternly. “You won’t do any of us any good if you sound off like that to an Air Commodore.”

“Oh, and just what do you and Algy propose to do?” His two friends chose to ignore Ginger’s tone which was belligerent and nothing short of insubordinate.

“Settle down, Ginger,” Algy smiled, reaching out and patting the younger man’s arm. “I’m not sure Biggles would be too happy if he knew I’d let you in on this stunt. He’s going to have my hide as it is. You don’t need to get into strife, too.”

“If you think I’m staying out of this….” began Ginger heatedly, but Algy held up a placating hand.

“All right. All right. I know you won’t be left out. I’m just warning you that not only are we risking almost certain censure from Raymond, but Biggles will probably chew us out as well. I thought I’d spare you the unnecessary pain, that’s all.”

Ginger’s inelegant snort was answer enough. “Stop wasting time gabbing and let’s get going,” he demanded.

“Just remember, Ginger, you’re not doing any of the talking. I’ll do that and Bertie can back me up” warned Algy seriously.

“Oh for crying out loud,” exclaimed the Flying Officer in exasperation, “will you stop playing big brother and treat me as an equal!”

“Dear me,” murmured Bertie. “Young Ginger is living up to his name.”

“I’ll more than live up to my name if you two don’t stop treating me like a school kid,” muttered Ginger, glaring at both his tormentors. “Are we going up to London or not?”

“Oh, we’re going,” said Algy. “I just want you to be fully aware of the pile of manure we’re likely to be stepping into.”

“For crying out loud, can we just go!” demanded Ginger, stalking off in the direction of the garage where Algy’s car was parked. All three were totally unaware of the serious hazel eyes that had been observing their interaction from the Squadron Office window.

“Idiots,” murmured Biggles fondly, shaking his head in resignation as he turned back to his desk.

What had caused this contretemps that now saw one of the RAF’s most successful squadron commanders within the Special Operations group so far fallen from grace?

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:28 pm

Postby Fairblue » 30 Jul 2013, 08:12

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
“Dear me,” murmured Bertie. “Young Ginger is living up to his name.”
:lol:

““For crying out loud, can we just go!” demanded Ginger, stalking off in the direction of the garage where Algy’s car was parked. All three were totally unaware of the serious hazel eyes that had been observing their interaction from the Squadron Office window.

“Idiots,” murmured Biggles fondly, shaking his head in resignation as he turned back to his desk.
I get the feeling Biggles is not too concerned. He seemed to put up a token resistance. Does he know something we don't?

What had caused this contretemps that now saw one of the RAF’s most successful squadron commanders within the Special Operations group so far fallen from grace?
That's what we'd all like to know, RSG. 8-)

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:30 pm

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 30 Jul 2013, 08:32

Fairblue wrote:
That's what we'd all like to know, RSG. 8-)
Patience young airwoman. All will be revealed....eventually :twisted:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:31 pm

Postby SaintedAunt » 30 Jul 2013, 09:23

FB - you should know that Algy wouldn't take this lying down
Of course he won't :D

“Rot!” retorted Algy rudely. “I threw my towel in with you too long ago to change direction now.
Absolutely, Algy :yay:

Biggles stared helplessly at the door that Algy had not quite slammed shut upon his departure and turned to contemplate his desk. A whimsical smile began to play around his mouth and the hard lines around his hazel eyes relaxed. “Silly fools,” he murmured, feeling strangely comforted as he sank into his chair. ... For a long rebellious moment he contemplated ignoring it and leaving it to the tender mercies of whoever would take over the squadron, but his own rigorous personal discipline would not allow him to neglect even these mundane duties.
Some people just can't help being dutiful :)

Can't wait to see what happens next :cheers2:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:32 pm

Postby Lycaea » 30 Jul 2013, 11:04

Yes, that's what I would like to know. I must have missed that...

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:32 pm

Postby Fairblue » 30 Jul 2013, 12:38
Lycaea wrote:

No, you didn't, Lycaea. We're all in the dark. Not sure even RSG knows yet. :lol:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:33 pm

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 30 Jul 2013, 13:24
Fairblue wrote:
Lycaea wrote:

No, you didn't, Lycaea. We're all in the dark. Not sure even RSG knows yet. :lol:
Hoping they'll fill me in over the next day or so... :D

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 15 Aug 2013, 13:08

Biggles Out of Favour [cont'd]

Two weeks earlier, Biggles had been summoned to the Air Commodore’s office at the Air Ministry. He had not been surprised to see the office already occupied by a number of other high ranking visitors for the very nature of his squadron’s normal operations were of such a covert nature that he was accustomed to their services being requested by other operators within the Special Operations cohort. What had caused him to suppress a grimace was the presence of the Honourable Charles Thornbury, an RAF officer who owed his present position within the Air Ministry to nothing other than his father’s blatant use of influence. Whilst many, many sons of England’s aristocratic houses had flocked to join the fight against the Axis powers’ determined attempt at world domination, Thornbury’s father had unashamedly kept his younger son at home. What had always struck Biggles as curious was that the elder son and heir to the title had joined the Army at war’s outbreak and had distinguished himself as a brave and highly respected leader of his men.

The difference between the two brothers had been a topic of conversation amongst Biggles, Algy and Bertie on more than one occasion. The latter two both knew the family socially, as did Biggles, given his own family connections to the Laceys. But Algy and Bertie knew them much better and had known both sons quite well when the young Thornbury boys were growing up. Indeed, Charles had been at Cranwell with Bertie who, uncharacteristically for that normally affable and easy-going young man, was quite open in expressing his dislike and scorn for the younger son.

“Not straight, if you know what I mean,” he had stated after Biggles and Thornbury had crossed swords on a previous occasion. “The blighter should have been turfed out of Cranwell on his ear, but his papa made sure young Charles’s dirty tricks were covered up. Don’t know how he did it, for the CO was as straight as a die,” and Bertie had sadly resorted to vigorously attacking his eyeglass with his handkerchief.

“Well, he was never moved into a front-line squadron, was he?” Algy had pointed out reasonably. “Obviously someone had better sense than that!”

“Pity he hadn’t been, old top,” Bertie had retorted with surprising acrimony. “We might have been spared his silly schemes, yes by Jove we might have, if you know what I mean?”

This conversation between his senior flight commanders flashed through Biggles’ mind as he contemplated the officers assembled in the Air Commodore’s office. As well as Thornbury and the Air Commodore, a distinguished grey-haired man whose army uniform sported the distinguishing Commando patches and two other high ranking army officers were present. Biggles’ quick surmise that these two were connected with Military Intelligence was proved correct when Raymond made the necessary introductions.

“Ah, Bigglesworth,” greeted his superior officer as Raymond’s aide opened the door and ushered him into the office which lay deep within the halls of the Air Ministry. “Glad you were able to join us. Gentlemen,” he turned to the other men who were all eyeing the newcomer with varying degrees of interest, “this is Squadron Leader Bigglesworth, who commands 666, one of our most successful Special Operations’ squadrons. Bigglesworth – Colonel Grayson, Major Henry, both of MI5; and this is Captain L’Estrange of the Commandos. Of course, you already know Wing Commander Thornbury.”

Biggles exchanged greetings with his fellow officers, seated himself in the chair indicated and turned his attention towards the Air Commodore who pushed his cigarette box towards his guests. Biggles and the others each accepted one of the proffered cigarettes and after lighting up turned their attention to the Air Ministry’s chief of Special Operations.

“Gentlemen, it goes without saying that what is about to be disclosed in this office cannot go any further. In fact, it would not be too strong a statement to say the future direction of the Allied war effort in Europe may depend upon the outcome of what is discussed here.”

Biggles inhaled deeply and blew a thin stream of smoke upwards as he concentrated on the speaker. He was not unaccustomed to hearing Raymond make similar statements for it was the very nature of their particular line of operations. However, there was something more this time, and Biggles’ nerves moved to high alert as he sat quietly waiting and observing. He was not disappointed. Raymond looked at each man assessingly before continuing.

“You are all aware, of course, that for the past twelve months the enemy has been focusing his attention more on securing his present foothold throughout Europe than on invading our country. Some had even begun to believe that that particular threat was behind us. Gentlemen, that is incorrect. Just how incorrect we have only just learned. We have recently been alerted to plans for an invasion that the German Higher Command are even now working to bring to fruition. An invasion that is planned to take place in no less than four weeks’ time.”

Raymond’s dramatic announcement was greeted with a stunned silence. Biggles moved restlessly.

“May I ask how reliable this information is, sir?”

“Oh it’s completely reliable, Bigglesworth. Captain L’Estrange has just returned from a mission and during his time behind enemy lines stumbled upon information that proves conclusively that Hitler has not given up on his dream of invading Britain!”

“We have no doubt of the veracity of the information we’ve received, Bigglesworth,” affirmed the MI5 Major quietly. “In fact, it answers some questions that have been puzzling us for some time. There have been odd, apparently disconnected movements throughout France that seemed purposeless if taken in isolation. You could say, our antennae have all been on high alert for some little while, but we didn’t know what we were worried about.”

“Precisely,” agreed Grayson, equally as quietly. He looked steadily at the RAF Squadron Leader. “Hitler has very quietly been moving men and machinery into positions in such a way that it has not had the appearance of a concentrated troop build up. Our attention has been taken up with North Africa and the Mediterranean – and we mistakenly thought Germany’s was, too. Oh, it’s not as big an invasion force as threatened us a year or so ago. This one’s much more subtle. There are a few innocent looking civilian barges gathered in river estuaries and low population areas, but all are strategically placed to be within very easy reach of our shores. And significantly, quite near each one of these innocuous little gatherings there just happens to be a naval installation with a convenient minesweeper. Airfields are being constructed. Train lines are being laid. Each area, taken in isolation, is relatively insignificant. Nothing we couldn’t handle. But, taken in concert, if Hitler was able to bring each of these innocent looking bases to active status at the same time – and, bring in sufficient personnel, and have all these isolated innocuous settlements become active on the same day, at the same hour, we believe we could be facing an even deadlier and more concentrated attack force than what the Luftwaffe threw at us in the Battle of Britain. This time we know they would launch their landing barges with an invasion army. We have to prevent this network from becoming active.”

Biggles stared at the speaker in fascination. He spoke so dispassionately and so quietly, but his words chilled his listeners. Biggles drew in a breath.

“And just how do you propose we stop them, sir?”

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:35 pm

Postby Fairblue » 15 Aug 2013, 14:24
Indeed, Charles had been at Cranwell with Bertie who, uncharacteristically for that normally affable and easy-going young man, was quite open in expressing his dislike and scorn for the younger son.
“Not straight, if you know what I mean,” he had stated after Biggles and Thornbury had crossed swords on a previous occasion. “The blighter should have been turfed out of Cranwell on his ear, but his papa made sure young Charles’s dirty tricks were covered up. Don’t know how he did it, for the CO was as straight as a die,” and Bertie had sadly resorted to vigorously attacking his eyeglass with his handkerchief.
“Well, he was never moved into a front-line squadron, was he?” Algy had pointed out reasonably. “Obviously someone had better sense than that!”
“Pity he hadn’t been, old top,” Bertie had retorted with surprising acrimony. “We might have been spared his silly schemes, yes by Jove we might have, if you know what I mean?”
This is a Bertie we don't see very often. Thornbury must be a really rotten apple for Bertie to be this acrimonious. ;)
"By throwing you into the lion's den, Bigglesworth." Oops, did I say that out loud? :? :shock:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:36 pm

Postby SaintedAunt » 15 Aug 2013, 18:28
Fairblue wrote:

"By throwing you into the lion's den, Bigglesworth." Oops, did I say that out loud? :? :shock:
Why not say it out loud? You are correct :)
It is exactly what they usually do - and curiously Biggles never seems to mind :D

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 15 Aug 2013, 23:51
SaintedAunt wrote:
Fairblue wrote:
Why not say it out loud? You are correct :)
It is exactly what they usually do - and curiously Biggles never seems to mind :D
No, he never does seem to mind, does he? Makes writing down the yarns he tells us all so much easier 'coz we know he'll always step up to the mark :D

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby Lycaea » 17 Aug 2013, 16:59

:cheers2: Here’s to Biggles finding the time to inform you about the next step soon!

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby archie » 17 Aug 2013, 22:07
Lycaea wrote:
:cheers2: Here’s to Biggles finding the time to inform you about the next step soon!
Ditto that :cheers2: Although I know I can't talk! :oops:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:42 pm

In browsing my "Writing" folder, I found that I had written a few (a very few) more lines, so have decided to post this very short, much overdue update.

(It'd be really great if Biggles would drop in a tell me some more of this particular tale...)

Raymond turned towards the Wing Commander seated nearby and Biggles felt his heart sink. Surely something as vitally important as this could not possibly involve someone so incompetent as Thornbury.

“Wing Commander Thornbury has devised a plan of action – a pre-emptive strike, if you like – that should strike a blow where it will hurt the enemy the most, and allow us to put paid to any future invasion plans they might be brewing.” The Air Commodore nodded at Thornbury. “Please explain your proposed plan of action, Wing Commander.”

The man spoke for some time whilst Biggles became more and more incredulous as the plan was unfolded. He glanced at his companions, wondering what their thoughts were. The two MI5 men’s faces remained unrevealing, but it was plain that L’Estrange was becoming increasingly unimpressed, despite his obvious attempts at keeping his expression non-committal.

Biggles was more than accustomed to being asked to undertake virtual suicide missions as, he was sure, was the commando. They were engaged in a brutal war, after all, and putting one’s life on the line was a necessary part of the job; Biggles knew he’d had more than his fair share of luck in having survived as long as he had and was quite philosophical in accepting that each time he climbed into the cockpit could well be his last. But his own careful planning and attention to detail before undertaking such missions was a major part of his impressive record of success. Death in combat, or as the result of being caught behind enemy lines was one thing, Biggles had always reasoned, but throwing one’s life away because of poor planning was an unconscionable waste of life and vital personnel resources. He was neither vain nor overly egotistical, but he knew he was more than competent in his chosen field, and whilst willing to take any and all risks involved in getting the job done, he was unwilling to agree to a mission that virtually guaranteed a disastrous outcome for his men when he could already think of more viable alternatives.

When Thornbury finally finished there was an electric silence in the room. Finally the Air Commodore spoke.

“What are your thoughts, Bigglesworth?”

(TBC...)

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie

Post by Fairblue » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:25 pm

Ooh, luvverly, RSG. I'd forgotten about this and am really pleased it's been resurrected. Here's hoping Biggles gets the chance to tell you more soon.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Post by Kismet » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:29 pm

Excellent. I hope the boys come to visit you soon so I can hear more of this tale.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
My top chap: Ginger
Favourite Book: Fails to Return
Quote: Aim high.

Post by kylie_koyote » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:35 am

I hope you get around to finishing this one soon, RSG!

Maybe on the long flight home...
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."

Return to “Works in Progress”