Fanfics and writing?

Talk about issues around writing, and for fan fiction writers to ask technical questions.
kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
My top chap: Ginger
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Fails to Return
Quote: Aim high.

Fanfics and writing?

Post by kylie_koyote » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:58 pm

Postby Tommy Smith » 02 Jul 2013, 11:59

What do you do?
Plot it all out first?
How many rewrites?
Do you know where its going when you start it?
How hard do you look for just the right word?
What else have I forgotten to ask?
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Fanfics and writing?

Postby Jennifer » 02 Jul 2013, 12:08

I should think everyone has their own methods and of course they get a lot of input from the other writers on the Forum. I just wish I could do it.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby von Zoyton » 02 Jul 2013, 12:26

I just have a vague idea, sit at the lappy and write (once I have stopped being distracted by the internet)
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Fairblue » 02 Jul 2013, 13:04

Tommy Smith wrote:
What do you do?
Plot it all out first?
How many rewrites?
Do you know where its going when you start it?
How hard do you look for just the right word?
What else have I forgotten to ask?

Do you ever get writer's block? :lol: :lol:
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Fairblue » 02 Jul 2013, 13:18

I usually have an idea in my head which will not go away. This was the case with both my fanfics. I start writing the opening chapters and generally after that it just seems to flow. I don't plan it all out beforehand, but I do know what is going to happen for the next couple of chapters at least. I have done several re-writes of chapters before I publish but on the other hand I have also published chapters with no re-writes. I don't have to search a lot for the right word, but I do spend a fair amount of time ensuring my characters follow canon. Bertie can be a bit difficult when he speaks as I think to get him right you can't just stick the odd 'old boy' or 'bally' somewhere into the sentences, but need to put his expressions in the right places. I do get writer's block, in which case I stop writing and usually something then pops into my head a few days later. One of the biggest frustrating things for me is if I've got the words into my head and I don't have time to get it down on paper. Real Life can get in the way sometimes. :D
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by Tommy Smith » 02 Jul 2013, 15:07

Von Z's vague ideas are great, (seem to remember a cardboard Ginger somewhere, cruel!).
I'm not surprised Bertie can be a little difficult when he speaks, FairBlue, after what you do to him I'm surprised he's talking at all, but good writing.

Its really interesting to see what different people come up with, all high quality and annoying that you all find it so easy! Creative and thought provoking.

Also the RPG's are uniquely entertaining when you guys are on a roll (had to rescue a copy of the manic descent into anarchy that was 'Learns to Cook', too good to lose).
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by Jennifer » 02 Jul 2013, 15:27

Yes I should think Bertie's speech patterns would be quite hard to get right but well worth the effort. I must admit I would find Algy very hard to write about - he changed so much from the "devil may care" attitude in WW1 to the quite bad tempered second in command in the Air Police books. I also think WEJ gave Algy a sense of humour that does not always come across very well - unlike Bertie who is always very funny.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby von Zoyton » 02 Jul 2013, 15:50

Tommy Smith wrote:
all high quality and annoying that you all find it so easy!

oh, no, not soooo easy for sure.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby SaintedAunt » 02 Jul 2013, 15:58

In the past, when I have had more time than I have had this year, I usually plan well ahead. I write it offline and try to have several chapters (or at least several posts) written well ahead of posting. But this year life has not been easy (far far too much RL) and I have tended to write something (anything almost!) then post it - and I just hope it won't conflict with what I will find I want to do later!

As to getting ideas, I think they just come. Within the canon, I have favourite periods in which I like to set my fics and favourite characters. I feel more for some than others. The original idea doesn't have to be a plot, certainly not a complete story. In two of my fics, I wrote the last phrases spoken before the first chapter. Generally it is a glimpse, a situation, or some aspect that I just want to write about, and then I find some plot to go round what I want to write about.

Like FB, I feel strongly about writing in WEJ style. If a Biggles fic can't fit within the existing canon and be true to the characters, I won't say I can't enjoy it because that wouldn't be true (witness the truly amazing and utterly enjoyable 'Biggles Married' fics on the Algy Blog earlier this year). But non-canon, wrong character, wrong spoken-language fics come into a separate category for me, and it is not what my writing is about. (At least, I try to get it right even if I don't always succeed.)

As to the mechanics of writing, I sometimes do some re-writing, but not a great deal of serious re-writing; more often a bit of re-ordering, and changing the odd word here and there. Unlike WEJ, I do check back on what I wrote earlier and I try to be consistent! Word choice - yes, I think that is important for any sort of writing. I always re-read what I have written several times before I post (not just checking for spelling and grammar, although that is important to me). And I find it best to leave an episode overnight, then re-read. Too often I find I have used a word clumsily, or a phrase, or repeated the same word or phrase in consecutive or in close-together paragraphs. The right word is sometimes elusive - for me, I find it's worth holding back and waiting to get the right word.

Writers block? Definitely. I sometimes just cannot think where to go next. One of our best fic writers on the forum suggested to me once, that the solution to writers block was just to start writing and something would come. I find this is good advice. Personally, I find I can write most easily when I have time to 'hear' conversations and invent sequences away from the computer, but that needs a more relaxed mind than I have had most of this year - it's not just a question of time. The only problem about inventing things in my head is forgetting the wonderful conversation that I dreamed up before I find time to write!

And does the story take over and you find you are where you never dreamed you would end up? Yes definitely. All part of the fun and exploration of writing. As somebody who spent too many years working with computers, writing is something I never ever under any circumstances imagined myself doing. Just shows - something... not sure what :D
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Jennifer » 02 Jul 2013, 16:06

Well it certainly all pays off SA you and Fairblue really get the feel of the characters. I do not like any fan fic that strays too far from the original characters and I personally prefer the stories to be set in one of the eras WEJ wrote about. I think WEJ himself wrote best about WW1 as it was from personal experience. I think that is why the officers in 226 are more real than 666. By WWII the three main characters were so well developed that the others never had much to do - they were mostly ferry pilots and even WEJ got confused as to where they all were. Witness in Sweeps the Desert when Henry is going to use Ginger's machine as his is not there and then Ginger takes off in Henry's machine.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby von Zoyton » 02 Jul 2013, 16:54

I don't get block but the internet is tooooo distracting!!
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by kylie_koyote » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 pm

by Fairblue » 02 Jul 2013, 18:06

SaintedAunt wrote:

Writers block? Definitely. I sometimes just cannot think where to go next. One of our best fic writers on the forum suggested to me once, that the solution to writers block was just to start writing and something would come. I find this is good advice. The only problem about inventing things in my head is forgetting the wonderful conversation that I dreamed up before I find time to write!
I rather think I'll try that method, SA and see if it 'unblocks' my mind. As for inventing things and then forget them before I can put them down, join the club! :D

Sainted Aunt wrote:
And does the story take over and you find you are where you never dreamed you would end up? Yes definitely.

Indeed. In "Where's Bertie?" von Stahlein popped up out of nowhere, honestly, he did! :shock:
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by Fairblue » 02 Jul 2013, 18:09

Tommy Smith wrote:
I'm not surprised Bertie can be a little difficult when he speaks, FairBlue, after what you do to him I'm surprised he's talking at all, but good writing.

He comes out all right in the end and what I've done to him is nothing compared to what others have done to other chracters, TS. :D
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by Fairblue » 02 Jul 2013, 18:09

Tommy Smith wrote:

He comes out all right in the end, TS. I had a bit of a complex about Bertie, thought I'd gone too far, but by the time I'd read other fanfics I realised what I've done to him is nothing compared to what others have done to other chracters.:D
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Tommy Smith » 02 Jul 2013, 18:11

So much good info here, thank you all.

Sainted Aunt - very useful detail and I totally agree with your methodology, useful to see it written down. The fact is for me sitting down staring at the pc screen can kill it dead, takes all the emotion out of a thing, as you say the level of relaxation, switched offness that allows that easily missed creative voice to speak, goes. (Possibly a cheap digital voice recorder would catch the moment when inspiration strikes). Need to get my head in gear again.

Jennifer, you're right, you can tell when what's written is from experience, its so subtle but definitely comes across.

Von Zoyton, get out and get some fresh air and stop playing with the computer.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Spitfire666 » 02 Jul 2013, 18:33

Fairblue wrote:
Bertie can be a bit difficult when he speaks as I think to get him right you can't just stick the odd 'old boy' or 'bally' somewhere into the sentences, but need to put his expressions in the right places.

Very true. Johns usually had exactly the right word that captured the sound of the character. Bertie sounds wonderful when that is so. :D
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by SaintedAunt » 02 Jul 2013, 20:13

Jennifer wrote:
WEJ got confused as to where they all were. Witness in Sweeps the Desert when Henry is going to use Ginger's machine as his is not there and then Ginger takes off in Henry's machine.

Goodness Jennifer - I never noticed that :o You must be a careful reader :)
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Fairblue » 03 Jul 2013, 07:59

SaintedAunt wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
WEJ got confused as to where they all were. Witness in Sweeps the Desert when Henry is going to use Ginger's machine as his is not there and then Ginger takes off in Henry's machine.

Indeed, SA, because I never noticed that, either. I've very nearly made that sort of boob in my fanfics, it's so easy to do, but I hope now I know that Jennifer's eagle eye will be upon us I'll take better care in future. :D
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by SaintedAunt » 03 Jul 2013, 08:27

I was thinking last night that WEJ wrote his first Biggles story in 1932 and died in 1968. Thus, in 36 years, he edited Popular Flying, wrote copiously for various other publications, had a hand in several Hamilton aviation books, wrote all the Biggles, Worrals and Gimlet books, wrote gardening articles and a book... What an output - no writers block there apparently!

No wonder he didn't check back in his earlier writing to see if he had been consistent. He would never have had the time - what he needed was a good full-time editor ;)
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Spitfire666 » 03 Jul 2013, 08:45

SaintedAunt wrote:
I was thinking last night that WEJ wrote his first Biggles story in 1932 and died in 1968. Thus, in 36 years, he edited Popular Flying, wrote copiously for various other publications, had a hand in several Hamilton aviation books, wrote all the Biggles, Worrals and Gimlet books, wrote gardening articles and a book... What an output - no writers block there apparently!

No wonder he didn't check back in his earlier writing to see if he had been consistent. He would never have had the time - what he needed was a good full-time editor ;)

I read that someone complained to Richmal Crompton about stuff not matching up in her writing, so she tried to keep track for a while. Eventually she gave up. She decided it was better to spend the time writing more William books than to keep looking to see what/who/where etc!
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by Tommy Smith » 03 Jul 2013, 09:17

Fairblue wrote:
SaintedAunt wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Indeed, SA, because I never noticed that, either. I've very nearly made that sort of boob in my fanfics, it's so easy to do, but I hope now I know that Jennifer's eagle eye will be upon us I'll take better care in future. :D

Oh, where's that? I'm still too thick/preoccupied to spot it...chapter?
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by kylie_koyote » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:00 pm

by Tommy Smith » 03 Jul 2013, 09:18

Fairblue wrote:
Tommy Smith wrote:
He comes out all right in the end, TS. I had a bit of a complex about Bertie, thought I'd gone too far, but by the time I'd read other fanfics I realised what I've done to him is nothing compared to what others have done to other chracters.:D

Hmmm, the mind boggles...
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by Fairblue » 03 Jul 2013, 19:22

Jennifer wrote:

SaintedAunt wrote:

Fairblue wrote:

Tommy Smith wrote:
Oh, where's that? I'm still too thick/preoccupied to spot it...chapter?

Chapter 7, Events at the~Oasis. I rather think a few of us missed it. :D
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Jennifer » 04 Jul 2013, 09:46

Not so much an eagle eye as the fact that I have read it so many times - it is one of my top ten favourites. I prefer Von Zoyton to EVS myself although he was only in two books.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by Tommy Smith » 04 Jul 2013, 18:54

I'm still trying to recover from when, during a conversation between Ginger, Bertie, Jeanette and Mme Ducoste, ALGY suddenly glances at Bertie and asks 'Where did this happen, Madame?'

Algy? Where did you pop up from?

Scared the daylights out of me.
"That's better."

Return to “Writing discussion and help”