Biggles Goes to War – Aircraft

Aircraft, aviation. Flight simulators. Flight, flying, pilots, aircraft related or other hardware. Also automobiles, trains and ships
Xenol1997
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: The Condor
Favourite Book: The Cruise of the Condor
Quote: By the anti-clockwise propellor of my sainted aunt!

Biggles Goes to War – Aircraft

Post by Xenol1997 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi All,
I've been coming up with some concepts of how the various aircraft in the book 'Biggles Goes to War' may have looked. As I'm sure you know no single real aircraft is mentioned by name in this novel, so I've either substituted or created my own designs.
ImageLauncester Lance by Xenol, on Flickr

For the 'Lance' I have combined aspects of both the Gloster Gauntlet and Gladiator designs into something I think fits the bill fairly well. The markings are based on the illustrations found in the book.

ImageAeado AR-76 by Xenol, on Flickr
For the 'Lovitznian Fighter' I chose to go with an Arado 76, as the only period aircraft which fits the vague evidence we have from illustrations and descriptions. Top is the aircraft of the squadron leader who causes so much bother in the book.

ImageFokker D.XXV by Xenol, on Flickr
Finally we have a flight of fancy, the 'Lovitzna two-seater' described as being a Fokker has no direct parallel to a real aircraft, so I decided to create one. Combining aspects of the Fokker D.XXI and the Fairey Barracuda, I created what I think is a passable idea of what such an aircraft could have looked like.

At some point in the future I shall make the Lovitznian bomber.

Thanks for looking :-)

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
My top chap: Ginger
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Fails to Return
Quote: Aim high.

Re: Biggles Goes to War – Aircraft

Post by kylie_koyote » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:44 am

Wow!
You have done some remarkable research!

Goes to War is one of my favorites.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."

Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
My top chap: WEJ
Favorite Aircraft: Concorde
Quote: Always be sincere, whether you mean it or not.

Post by 266 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:46 am

Greetings Xenol and welcome! Your illustrations are gorgeous, I hope you are keen on modelling as we have a model group that periodically tries to put WEJ's imaginings into 3d. Check the model section for the latest group build.

As regards the GTW Fokker, here's a picture (from the original book) of Algy chasing a baddy.
Titlepage.jpg
He is in the Fokker day bomber "acquired" by Biggles. It bears a strong resemblance to a Fokker CX, which would have been in production at about the right time. Unfortunately the baddy aircraft remains unidentifiable. I'd wondered about a Polish PWS10 but the kits are both expensive and a bit rough. I think you're on a better track with your AR76.

Hope you have fun here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VickersVandal
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
My top chap: Dickpa
Favorite Aircraft: Vandal
Favourite Book: Condor
Quote: I made a salad of their lettuce patch!

Post by VickersVandal » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:39 am

Lovely work! As 266 mentioned, please jump in on our group builds if you are into scale modelling.

Gloster (Gloucester) does seem to be the inspiration for Lonster (Launcester) so I think your illustration is on the right track there, though I would err toward open cockpit myself since the Lance was "recently surplus" when the book is set and the Gladiator was still in service well into WW2 where the open cockpit types were being retired in the mid-late 1930s.

Xenol1997
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Xenol1997 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:47 am

He is in the Fokker day bomber "acquired" by Biggles. It bears a strong resemblance to a Fokker CX, which would have been in production at about the right time.
You know, I've looked at that image a few times when doing my designs and it's never twigged it was supposed to be the two-seater! In my mind it was a depiction of the Lance. Looking closer and reading the description I see you are right.

I must admit I did deviate from the original text a bit with my final design, in the book it does mention 'wind in the wires' once for the two-seater - and I had also forgotten that at one point Ginger cuts a hole in the canvas – suggesting a biplane. I just thought it was a bit odd, since in the book it is stressed how modern the aircraft is, which in 1938/9 was probably not a canvas-walled biplane!

The PWS10 is a good shout for the enemy fighter, and bears a stronger resemblance to the illustration from the paperback than my Arado. I can't help but feel I recognise this design but cannot place my finger on it http://www.biggles.info/Details/15/Pape ... age008.jpg

I do intend on trying to model some of my designs in the future - if I ever get the time!

Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
My top chap: WEJ
Favorite Aircraft: Concorde
Quote: Always be sincere, whether you mean it or not.

Post by 266 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:08 am

The picture shows a nicely drawn Nieuport Delage parasol monoplane. Parasols were trendy in the early 30's and as the Spanish Civil War showed, it was possible to buy aircraft from anywhere, by devious means, if you needed them. Lovitzna could have had German, Russian, Polish or French aircraft - they were all keen on the parasol design. Those Armada books often had really good illustrations and covers and this one is really specific...the original Oxford edition pictures were pretty vague.

Marinette
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
My top chap: Ginger
Favorite Aircraft: Sopwith Camel
Favourite Book: Biggles Defies the Swastika

Post by Marinette » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks a lot Xenol for this great work !! I have finished reading Goes to war about a week ago. It's nice to have an idea of what the planes could be like!

Xenol1997
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Xenol1997 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:22 pm

Marinette wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:19 pm
Thanks a lot Xenol for this great work !! I have finished reading Goes to war about a week ago. It's nice to have an idea of what the planes could be like!
I'm glad you like! I had hoped to be doing more of these, but my laptop died last weekend so I'm without my design software for the meanwhile

Foolscap
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
My top chap: Varies
Favorite Aircraft: Sopwith camel

Post by Foolscap » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Your illustrations are fascinating, really brings the descriptions to life:-)
"If you're going to leave the beaten track the first thing is to make sure you've got your sense of humour with you."
--Biggles on Mystery Island.

Return to “Aircraft, Aviation, Transport”