Flight Lieutenant
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Re: Re-Posting Biggles Reality Check

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:04 pm

Postby SaintedAunt » 07 Feb 2014, 11:51
Tracer wrote:
And I may be the only Board member with a regard for that stiff-necked Prussian Erich von Stalhein.
You are not :) I have a regard for him too. And we are in good company - with Biggles :D

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:13 pm

Postby SopwithCamel » 07 Feb 2014, 13:09
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
SopwithCamel wrote:

"And who," asked Biggles frostily, "is wej?"
Dang it Soppy! You stole one of my next lines :lol:
I didn't steal anything, dear.

I was there, remember? :lol: :roll: (At least I'd better be, preferably somewhere near Algy. Very near Algy.)

(But no, please go ahead and use the line as you wish.)
Tracer wrote:
I solemnly declare that I am a Bertie fan :D AND a Ginger fan too.

Algy and Biggles fan, obviously.

And I may be the only Board member with a regard for that stiff-necked Prussian Erich von Stalhein.
I solemnly declare that I am ONLY an Algy fan :twisted: :devil2:

...which is a bit like stating that the sky is blue.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 pm

Postby SaintedAunt » 07 Feb 2014, 13:14
SopwithCamel wrote:
The sky is blue :?: :?: :?: :o

Not in the uk it isn't - wettest December and January since records began and heading for the wettest February likewise :(

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 pm

Postby SopwithCamel » 07 Feb 2014, 13:43
SaintedAunt wrote:
SopwithCamel wrote:
The sky is blue :?: :?: :?: :o

Not in the uk it isn't - wettest December and January since records began and heading for the wettest February likewise :(

:shock: So what color is the sky over there?

I still like Algy regardless, just so we're clear....

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Postby Inactive User 149 » 07 Feb 2014, 13:47

Regardless of what? It is not Algy's fault that the sky is grey and we never see any daylight because of all the rain and we cannot stand up as the wind is so strong and half of the South of England is under water. Blue sky is just a distant memory for us :cry:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Postby SaintedAunt » 07 Feb 2014, 13:49
Jenny Rob wrote:
... the sky is grey and we never see any daylight because of all the rain and we cannot stand up as the wind is so strong and half of the South of England is under water. Blue sky is just a distant memory for us :cry:
A good summary Jennifer :lol:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Postby Lycaea » 08 Feb 2014, 15:15

I think the sky has permanently changed colour to grey… At least in Sweden.

And I am, of course, also an Algy fan. In the unlikely event someone had missed that… :mrgreen:

Oh, great update, b t w!

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 09 Feb 2014, 01:55
Lycaea wrote:
I think the sky has permanently changed colour to grey… At least in Sweden.

And I am, of course, also an Algy fan. In the unlikely event someone had missed that… :mrgreen:

Oh, great update, b t w!
I was about to comment that the sky is still blue in SE Queensland, but I just looked out the window and it's grey again. Wish you'd send some of that excessive UK rain our way, Jenny. We have a couple of significant towns in the Outback that only have a few months' water suppply left... :(
Lycea, somehow I'm not at all surprised that you're an Algy fan. Well, you and Soppy can sort him out between yourselves :D

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 03 Mar 2014, 07:47

A/N - I'm afraid this is only a very short update. Hope it's enjoyable :D

Biggles' Reality Check [cont'd]
Bertie surveyed the speaker with mild consternation, as Biggles and Algy exchanged speculative glances and Ginger tried to hide his self-satisfaction. He, too, had begun to remember that previously forgotten encounter some months earlier. Maybe now Biggles would realize what he, Ginger, had been thinking for the past few minutes. It was quite obvious that not only had they come forward in time – even further than that previous occasion – but they could not even be in the same universe! Ginger’s highly imaginative mind boggled slightly at that deduction – perhaps they were just on a different world. Whilst the younger man had been engaged in these speculations, Biggles and Algy had reached a similar conclusion.

Ignoring their audience, the two men looked at one another.

“Last time it was that strange Doctor fellow,” began Algy slowly, giving Biggles a questioning look.

“Well, he certainly upset a few timelines. What did he call it? The ‘time-space continuum…’?” Biggles thought back to that remarkably strange encounter. “I suppose we’re able to remember it now, because it’s also in the past, whereas before it was in the future so when we went back to our own time it hadn’t happened…” Biggles paused with a disgusted look. “Bah! I’m getting completely tangled up.”

“That’s because time is really like a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey-wimey…stuff!” explained one of the more quietly spoken English women helpfully, with a deeply amused gleam in her eye.

“I beg your pardon?” Biggles stared back, his lack of comprehension quite obvious.

“You’re talking about ‘The Doctor’, aren’t you?” asked another of the group – all of whom seemed to have recovered from their initial excitement and were now gazing at the four airmen with expressions ranging from awe to deep amusement. “After all,” he continued, “if you four are really real, instead of the fictional heroes we’ve grown up with, it stands to reason that other fictitious heroes such as Doctor Who could be real in whatever universe you’ve come from.” He paused, brushed his fingers through his hair and glanced around at the others. “I can’t believe I’ve just said that. I’m a university lecturer and here I am calmly stating that not only are Biggles and Co alive and standing in front of me, but that Dr Who is too!!”

“Which Doctor did you meet?” asked one of the women curiously.

“Do you mean there are more than one of those mad men hurtling around the universe in a Police Box?” asked Algy incredulously.

“Well, not at the same time. But if you met him several years ago, it’s possible that that Doctor was played by someone different to the one we know today.”

Biggles shook his head and held up his hand.

‘I’m sorry, but this conversation is becoming a little difficult for us to follow. We have a problem. We need to get home to our own world and our own time. You people only appear to know us as characters in books, am I correct?”

“Well, there was a television series…” began one man slowly, only to be interrupted by the young woman who was still gazing rather predatorily at Algy.

“Which counts for nothing because they left Algy out!! Can you believe it? It wasn’t right!”

“Yes, we all agree with you on that,” interjected an older woman hurriedly.

“A television series?” asked Biggles rather dazedly. “But television’s only a recent invention – who could afford…” his voice trailed off and he shook his head. He needed a few quiet minutes to think, but this group was obviously not about to afford him that luxury. He needed to assert control, but first he needed to fully understand the situation in which they had, quite literally, landed themselves. He held up his hand again and smiled around at everyone.

“Would it be possible for us to have a cup of tea, please? And then, perhaps, we could all sit down and you can explain who you are and what you are doing here. Then we might be able to sort out what we’re going to do about things.”

“I’ll tell you one thing,” asserted one of the men whose military bearing spoke clearly of his background. “Those four Spitfires are going to attract some attention soon, if you leave them sitting on the tarmac like that. I suggest we help you move them into a couple of those old empty hangars before we have television news crews and goodness knows who else rolling up.”

“Good idea,” agreed Biggles. “Come on, chaps, let’s get cracking. And we’d be extremely grateful for your help,” he added with a charming smile.

The military man looked across to a man who was standing next to the Australian woman.

“You’re an engineer, you’d better come with us, and three or four others should do the trick,” his easy authority carried the moment and they moved as one towards the door while those remaining stood staring at one another, quite transfixed.

“Well, maybe we should see about setting out afternoon tea,” suggested a silver-haired lady. “I’m willing to bet the real Algy will love his scones and jam every bit as much as our own Algy!”

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:18 pm

Postby SopwithCamel » 03 Mar 2014, 08:59
“Well, there was a television series…” began one man slowly, only to be interrupted by the young woman who was still gazing rather predatorily at Algy.

"predatorily"??? :evil:
I would have thought that I'd have made off with him by now. I must be losing my touch... :lol:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:18 pm

Postby SaintedAunt » 03 Mar 2014, 10:02
SopwithCamel wrote:

"predatorily"??? :evil:

I would have thought that I'd have made off with him by now. I must be losing my touch... :lol:
Maybe you were still suffering from shock… ;)

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:19 pm

Postby kylie_koyote » 03 Mar 2014, 11:58

Lol this is sooo funny! Love it!!

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 03 Mar 2014, 13:10

Keep this coming, please. It is very entertaining!

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 04 Mar 2014, 08:56

Absolutely luverrley, RSG. Can't wait for the next bit. 8-)

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:20 pm

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 15 Apr 2014, 12:43

Biggles Reality Check [cont'd]

Whilst the enthusiastic group of volunteers moved outside to help move the precious Spitfires out of sight, those remaining inside finished their afternoon tea preparations and a table laden with fresh scones with jam and cream, cucumber sandwiches, and a tempting selection of hors d’oeuvres soon covered a table set to one side of the room. Biggles, Algy, Ginger and Bertie together with their group of helpers soon returned and as the four airmen surveyed the groaning table each one realized he was quite hungry. Algy nudged Biggles and pointed towards an intricately decorated cake that stood alone on a separate table. The centerpiece was a Sopwith Camel and in writing across the top were the words “RFC Centenary, 1912-2012” whilst underneath the Camel was written “Eighty years of Biggles, 1932-2012”.

“Looks like we’ve done it again,” murmured Algy quietly. “Come forward in time, I mean.” He reached for a jam and cream laden scone as he surveyed the cake thoughtfully.

“Mmm,” Biggles seemed more contemplative and Algy glanced at him curiously.

“We’ve more than come forward in time, Algy, old son. Somehow we’re in a different world, or even universe. We’re not actually ‘real’ here.”

“You’re right,” agreed Algy thoughtfully. “Everything we believe is real is just fiction here.” He paused and bit into his scone. “Except for these scones. They’re every bit as good as what dear Mrs Symes used to cook up for us before the war.”

Biggles looked thoughtful for a few minutes.

“Some things seem to be ‘real’ in both realities, though,” he nodded at the cake. “The RFC, for instance. But why would they have my date as starting in 1932?”

“Because that’s when wej published the first story about you,” explained one of the men, who’d been standing nearby and couldn’t help overhearing. “So it’s 80 years since the first Biggles’ story was published and it’s 100 years since the RFC was established.”

Before Biggles could respond, a man who seemed to be the MC, tapped the side of a glass with a spoon.

“I know we’ve had some quite unanticipated excitement, ladies and gentlemen, but we need to decide how we’re going to continue with our programme. Do we want to continue with our speakers, or do we want to listen to our unexpected guests and see if there’s any way in which we can help them?”

Biggles held up a hand and smiled.

“We don’t want to disrupt your afternoon any more than has already happened. Please continue on. We need some time to think this situation through, anway.”

“Very well. I believe Thomas here is going to give us his next talk on…” The speaker paused and began to look slightly embarrassed. “That is…well, it’s actually about you, Biggles,” he finished apologetically.

“About me?” Biggles eyebrows shot upwards.

“This should be interesting,” murmured Algy to Bertie, whilst Ginger grinned in undisguised delight.

“Well, yes. Of course it’s about you,” the other man said rather defensively. “That’s why we’re here. Because we all like…er…we’re all fans of yours. Of your books, that is.”

“Yes, sorry,” acknowledged Biggles. “We’re still finding this a little hard to believe. Just ignore us and carry on.”

“Yes,” grinned Algy. “We’ll just sit back here and learn all there is to know about Biggles.”

Biggles glared at his cousin. “I’m still your Commanding Officer, and don’t you forget it!” he murmured before his twitching lips betrayed his sense of the ridiculous and he bit back a laugh. “You’re right, Algy. This should be very interesting. I wonder what they’ll have to say about you.”

Before Algy could respond, the speaker who had been identified as Thomas, spoke up.

“I’m happy to go ahead, but perhaps these gentlemen can have some input. I was just thinking what a marvelous opportunity this is for us to resolve all those anomalies that have driven us all crazy over the years.”

There was an immediate enthusiastic endorsement of this suggestion from the group.

“Oh, yes. What’s your birthday, Squadron Leader? And what’s Ginger’s first name? And how old is Bertie? Whatever happened to Dickpa? And…”

The four airmen’s eyes grew round and they looked at one another in some consternation before Biggles held up his hands.

“Judging by those questions, am I to presume that there’s certain information your author hasn’t provided about us?”

“Yes, and it tends to drive some of us crazy,” answered one of the women.

“Well,” Biggles appeared to briefly consider his answer, before responding firmly, “I don’t think it would be in the interests of national security for us to provide information that this writer has obviously withheld for what may be perfectly good reasons.”

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 15 Apr 2014, 13:11

Oh drat!! Just when I thought we were getting somewhere, lol. Speak up Biggles...

Well done RSG, I was cackling like a hyena, all the while wondering why my glass of red was sadly empty. :lol:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby kylie_koyote » 15 Apr 2014, 13:34

National security? Dickpa? My goodness he just got more interesting!

This is such fun!!

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:21 pm

Postby Kismet » 15 Apr 2014, 14:41

Love this. Keep it coming.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby Tracer » 15 Apr 2014, 17:09

Brilliant :lol:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 15 Apr 2014, 18:12

Lovely RSG. Just burnt the spuds because I was too busy reading to attend to dinner. :lol:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:22 pm

Postby SaintedAunt » 15 Apr 2014, 21:40

Another old fic has resurfaced - must have been Twford pricked your conscience RAAFSG :yay:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:22 pm

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 15 Apr 2014, 21:46
SaintedAunt wrote:
Another old fic has resurfaced - must have been Twford pricked your conscience RAAFSG :yay:
I think it did indeed, SA. :lol:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:23 pm

Postby Fairblue » 15 Apr 2014, 21:48
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
SaintedAunt wrote:
I think it did indeed, SA. :lol:
It certainly gave mine a bit of a nudge, too. :lol:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:24 pm

Postby archie » 15 Apr 2014, 22:12
Fairblue wrote:
SaintedAunt wrote:
It certainly gave mine a bit of a nudge, too. :lol:
Me too :oops: But now I can get on with reading everyone else's offerings- luckily (for the iPad) minus a cup of coffee, in this case! :lol:

Return to “Works in Progress”