Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Re: Re-Posting Biggles Reality Check

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:03 am

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 25 Jul 2017, 13:07

Just a brief update. Biggles and the chaps only popped in long enough to give me a snippet...

Biggles' Reality Check - a little bit more...
“What a very interesting thought.”
The mocking voice, belonging to a speaker whose identity was concealed within the gloomy depths of the unlit hangar, was only too well known to Biggles.

‘You might as well come out, von Stalhein,” invited Biggles evenly as he removed his service pistol from his pocket.

“But of course, Major Bigglesworth.”

Thomas and his father had moved to flank Biggles and they stared with fascinated interest as Biggles’ arch nemesis walked out from the dim recesses behind the parked aircraft. However, the German secret service agent was not alone. Another figure, unfamiliar to Biggles, walked beside him. The two 21st Century men’s jaws dropped open as they stared at the German’s companion.

“I don’t believe it!” breathed the senior Waltham. “It is simply not possible!!”

“Ahh, I see you recognize me,” returned the dark haired man whose saturnine features seemed to hold the two Waltham’s mesmerized.

“Well, I don’t,” said Biggles bluntly. “Who’s your friend, von Stalhein?”

“Oh, I don’t think even Erich here knows who I really am, do you my friend?” The dark eyes watched the three Englishmen with malicious amusement. “But I suspect your two friends here know who I am. Perhaps they could enlighten you, Major.”

“It’s Squadron Leader,” corrected Biggles. “Von Stalhein know that quite well. It’s just one of the little tricks he uses. He thinks he’s getting under my skin.” There was a pause before Biggles continued.

“Thomas, since you and your father seem to know this man, perhaps you’d care to introduce me.” Biggles eyes never left the stranger’s face.

Thomas’s voice reflected his obvious incredulity.

“I believe this is…this is…the…er…the Master.”

“This is absolutely ridiculous!” Geoffrey Waltham shook his head slightly, but his eyes didn’t stray from the dark haired man’s face, either. “You are all fiction characters – all of you! Next thing, The Doctor will be whirling in from somewhere with one of his companions in tow!”

“And who, exactly, is ‘the Master’?” asked Biggles.

“Perhaps we should all compare notes,” suggested von Stalhein smoothly.

“Perhaps you’d like to start,” responded Biggles just as smoothly.

“No, we’d rather hear your story first, Squadron Leader.” The Master laid mocking emphasis on Biggles’ rank, in an uncanny echo of von Stalhein’s earlier tone. “I’m well aware that you have some friends in that building over there,” he nodded his head towards what Biggles had earlier thought was his own Mess. “I’m sure you wouldn’t want them to come to any unnecessary harm.”

Biggles frowned as he stared as the stranger. He exuded an overwhelming aura of self-control yet he also seemed to be hiding an unholy glee, as if he knew much more than they did and found their ignorance vastly amusing.

“Precisely who are you? Thomas called you ‘the Master’. What does that mean…and how do you know one another?”

“Oh, this is just marvelous,” rejoined the man Thomas had referred to as ‘The Master’. “I’m sure you’ve already discovered that you don’t exist in this reality…except in children’s fiction. And nor do I. But that’s the beauty of this whole conundrum! Please tell him who I am, one of you.”

Father and son exchanged glances. The senior Waltham gave his son a slight nod.

“He’s known as ‘The Master’ and he’s a rogue Time Lord from our TV series, Dr Who – the Doctor you were talking about earlier. His character is evil and hates humanity simply because the Doctor is very fond of earth and its inhabitants and keeps saving earth from catastrophe. But the Master is just the opposite. He must have followed you through whatever anomaly brought you here.”

Thomas’s brief summary was followed by a silence. Biggles’ gaze moved thoughtfully from this newly revealed enemy to the older one while his brain was whirling with the implications of what the younger man had just said. The memories that had resurfaced of that strange encounter with the time-travelling Doctor a few months earlier held little conception of the real significance of Time Lords. All he remembered was an eccentric genius who had inadvertently caused him and his friends to be thrust 40 years into the future; and whose sudden, inexplicable appearance at that abandoned airfield near Los Angeles had enabled their return to their own time. He also remembered that the man had the ability to control time. Biggles knew that that particular Time Lord had been on the side of good. Now it appeared there could be another one, equally as powerful, but definitely not on the side of good. How had von Stalhein been caught up in this, he wondered. And did the German realise the dangerous game he could be playing? All these thoughts raced through Biggles’ mind in the space of a few moments.

“And you’ve come to this particular reality to do exactly what?” he asked, glancing from the rogue Time Lord to the German agent.

tbc

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby Spitfire666 » 25 Jul 2017, 13:24

Oo-er :crazy: :faint: Don't stop there RSG :nailbiting:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby kylie_koyote » 25 Jul 2017, 14:23

Golly you've thrown a spanner into the works.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:04 am

Postby Fairblue » 25 Jul 2017, 16:10
Spitfire666 wrote:
Oo-er :crazy: :faint: Don't stop there RSG :nailbiting:
kylie_koyote wrote:
Golly you've thrown a spanner into the works.
Wot they said, RSG. Please don't keep us in suspense. Definitely :nailbiting: stuff

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:04 am

Postby Kismet » 25 Jul 2017, 17:56

Ooo err, indeed. Which incarnation of the master do we have? Just for visualisation purposes, you understand. And nothing is more important than carrying on with this story!!!

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:05 am

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 16 Oct 2017, 23:42
Which incarnation of the master do we have? Just for visualisation purposes, you understand.

I have in mind the Anthony Ainley characterisation from the Tom Baker era, Kismet. But Roger Delgado would fit just as easily :D (Those two will always remain my sentimental favourites for the iconic portrayal of the Master.)

And apologies, once again, for my tardiness in posting another update. My muse definitely departed for a while as I was a bit overwhelmed by my brother's final illness. However, I thought I'd post the little I have managed to produce. Maybe I could also blame Biggles and the boys for their silence regarding the progress of this bit of their history - but maybe they're still wandering around in another time/dimension/reality... :?

Anyway, here's a brief update:

Biggles' Reality Check - the next bit...

“I’m surprised you feel it necessary to ask that question, Bigglesworth,” commented von Stalhein sardonically. “Surely that brain of yours has already provided the answer.”

“Perhaps. But I’d prefer you to confirm my thoughts,” returned Biggles in the icily quiet voice his friends, and enemies alike, knew only too well. Biggles knew his arch-enemy’s greatest Achille’s Heel was his inherent desire to boast about the potential success of his plans, especially if he could gloat over what he considered Biggles’ inability to stop him. Although he already had a fair idea of what those plans would entail, he wanted von Stalhein’s confirmation. Then he, in turn, could devise the best way to combat them.

“Really Bigglesworth, as I said, I am surprised. But since you insist on asking, I’m only too happy to oblige. My friend has a plan that not even you will be able to ruin. I met the Master in our own world, but at a date some time in the future. He has put a very interesting proposal to me – one in which you will be intimately involved – and which will see Germany emerge triumphant from the current war, with England and her Allies placed where they belong – under our authority.” The Prussian made no attempt to conceal his triumphant sneer of assumed superiority, an expression which was also mirrored on the rogue Time Lord’s face.

“And may I ask exactly how you intend achieving this?” Biggles asked in a cold expressionless voice.

The Master put up a hand.

“Allow me, my friend. I will be only too pleased to explain our plans. Especially since any friend of the Doctor’s is naturally an enemy of mine.”

“Stop paying one another compliments and get on with it,” Biggles ground out. “You’re as bad as one another.”

“Curb your impatience, my friend. I intend telling you everything so you will realize just how impotent you are.” The Master smiled at the three Englishmen and Biggles felt an involuntary shiver course down his spine as the Time Lord continued. “Time travel has finally become somewhat boring in my own reality. Your perpetual do-gooder of a Doctor always manages to spoil all my fun. He exiled me quite some time ago and it was then, with plenty of time on my hands – forgive my pun – that I began to speculate about the potential of other realities. I wondered about the possibility of an analogous universe where the time-space continuum wouldn’t simply parallel mine, but would be its actual converse. In such a place, I hypothesized, my reality would be a fiction; yet I also theorized that there would be important ‘real’ parallels existing. To discover such a place tantalized me and once I determined exactly where I would most likely find such a hypothetical reality, I devised the means of using my Tardis as my means of travel. To my intense satisfaction, my hypothesis proved correct and I discovered this particular reality full of all you annoying humans whom the Doctor so loves to protect. I’m sure you can imagine my complete gratification when I discovered it was also full of books, films and television shows where some of the most annoying of the human species on Planet Earth existed only as characters of fiction, including the Doctor! I immediately knew that I could use what I had discovered to be fiction here, to ultimately bring about the downfall of the England of my own reality by simply changing a few small things in history.”

The Master paused, evil glee shining in his eyes as he stroked his bearded chin and watched the effect of his words on the three Englishmen. Von Stalhein, too, could not contain a contemptuously triumphant sneer.

“And when I returned to the Earth of my own reality after that first visit, Squadron Leader,” the Master emphasized Biggles’ rank in a sarcastic echo of von Stalhein, “I chanced to meet my good friend Erich at a function in a time that is still in your future.”

“I can see why the two of you joined forces,” commented Biggles, his own sarcasm just as biting as that of his enemy. “Perhaps you’d be so kind as to explain how you intend changing history.”

“Oh, tut, tut, Squadron Leader, do you think I’m going to share the finer details with you? I already know the past history of this planet – a history that I fully intend passing on to Erich. When we return to your reality, it will be to a key point in time which will forever change the outcome of its current conflict.” The Master could scarcely contain his obvious pleasure concerning his scheme. “And I will do this in such a way that not even the Doctor, himself, will be able to change things back.”

“I think you’ve met your match when it comes to egos, von Stalhein,” commented Biggles with a faint, but cynical, smile. “May I ask how long you’ve been here?”

“This time?” queried the German Secret Service agent. He noticed the slight widening of Biggles’ eyes. “Oh, my dear Bigglesworth, did you really think that once the Master had introduced me to this delightful world where you and I are merely works of fiction, I would not continue to accompany him?” He paused before continuing mockingly. “On this occasion, we arrived an hour or so before you – long enough to glance through several of those books dedicated to your future exploits. Why, I’ve even bought one or two.”

tbc

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:07 am

Postby Kismet » 17 Oct 2017, 00:38

So nice to have some more of this, RSG. I'm going to enjoy speculating which books Von Stalhein bought.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:08 am

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 17 Oct 2017, 01:13
Kismet wrote:
So nice to have some more of this, RSG. I'm going to enjoy speculating which books Von Stalhein bought.
Thank you, Kismet. I'm curious to find out, myself :D ...waiting for the boys to reveal some more...

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:09 am

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 24 Jan 2018, 11:31

[A/N - Well, it's been a while, but I really need to finish some of the fics I have scattered around the place :? This one is drawing nearer to its final curtain. A fairly brief update this time with maybe one or two more before Biggles returns to reality :D ]

“May I ask which two books you’ve chosen?” Biggles’ expression did not change as he met his nemesis’ ironic gaze.

“Certainly.” Von Stalhein’s smile was as mocking as ever. He picked up two books from a nearby table and held them up. “I was fascinated to learn that there is actually an occasion when you will ‘fail to return’ yet, intriguingly, this later book appears to describe a future ‘holiday’ that you and your team take in South America. Both of these titles appear to offer key opportunities for my intervention when we return to our own world. I see I don’t appear to feature in your misadventures in Monaco, but my good friend, Gregori Gordino, does. Ah! I see this means nothing to you, as it has not yet happened in our time-line.” The German smiled maliciously. “A few words in his ear when I return should see the failure of your exploits on this yet-to-be occasion and, hopefully, you will all face the firing squad as spies.”

“In that case, I doubt we’ll be needing that holiday the other book refers to,” deadpanned Biggles. “But really, von Stalhein, I would have thought that you’d have chosen one of he earlier books we saw. You could have taken the opportunity to rid yourself of us well before we all became such a thorn in your side.”

The German flushed but before he could retort, the elder Waltham finally spoke.

“This is all very interesting, gentlemen, but I am curious to know how you think you can change the established history of this world.”

It was the Master’s turn to gloat.

“My dear sir, it’s very simple. Haven’t you been listening? I will simply travel back in your time with the plans for the Allies’ D-Day invasion and present them to Hitler. All your convoluted decoys will be ignored and the might of the German armed forces will be there to greet the Allied invaders and simply wipe them out. Then a separate Axis invasion force will cross the English Channel whilst your pathetic Allied military is so completely occupied with their D-Day plans they’ll be caught unprepared. It’s rather simple, really.” The Master rubbed his hands together with undisguised glee.

“Too simple, to be honest,” said another voice quietly. “You never learn do you?”

“You!!” The Master fairly sputtered in rage. “How did you get here? I left you surrounded by Daleks on Gamma Alpha Three.”

“Did you?” The tall, slightly stooping figure with the unruly mop of curly hair and a lengthy scarf flung around his neck stepped out of the shadows. “Apparently it didn’t work.”

The two Walthams stared, quite speechless, and Biggles’ eyes widened slightly as he recognized the Doctor who had unintentionally brought him and his friends forward in time some months earlier – an event that had been erased from their memories once they had returned to their own time. Memories of that episode were rapidly flashing into Biggles’ memory since it related to an event that now lay in their past.

“Is this your doing?” he asked.

tbc

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:09 am

Postby kylie_koyote » 24 Jan 2018, 12:38

Ah ha! How splendid. And lovely dry Biggles humor too. :claphappy:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:10 am

Postby Kismet » 24 Jan 2018, 13:32

Fails to Return and Takes a Holiday. Excellent book choices from EvS. Lovely to see this updated, rsg.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:10 am

Postby Fairblue » 24 Jan 2018, 19:59

Super to see an update,RSG. Looking forwards to seeing how EVS is defeated.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:11 am

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 28 Jan 2018, 05:57

Moving things along a little bit...

Next Bit...

But, ignoring Biggles and the two Walthams, the Doctor addressed his own nemesis.

“I cannot allow you to change the history of this world, any more than I would let you do so with the earth of our own universe.”

“Oh, really? And just how do you propose stopping me?”

The Doctor held out his hand, revealing a small silvery-coloured metal cylindrical device.

“I’ve recalibrated my sonic screwdriver to disrupt and control your Tardis’s trans-power system. You will only be able to travel back to the year 1982 on the earth of our universe.”

“Really?” sneered the Master. “And what will stop me re-engaging the reverse trans-dimensional transitional node and coming back here?”

“Oh, didn’t I tell you?” The Doctor’s eyes gleamed with humour as he held out his other hand in which lay a small electronic device. “I arrived a few minutes after you, while you were enjoying yourselves sneaking around the meeting in the other building, I also removed your trans-dimensional node’s actuator. You won’t be able to sneak into other alternate universes again. I suggest you and your friend depart immediately, before your Tardis runs out of power and leaves you stranded on a planet where you don’t actually exist.”

The rogue Time Lord stared at the Doctor, who returned the other’s glare with complete equanimity. After about 30 seconds he replaced the actuator in his pocket and pulled out a large gold fob watch, which he glanced at before returning it to its home somewhere in the inner depths of his jacket.

“According to my watch, you have precisely 30 seconds left before your power runs out,” he remarked conversationally, holding out a small paper bag towards the bemused Biggles and the Walthams. “Jelly baby, anyone?”

‘You’re bluffing!” The Master, however, didn’t appear quite as confident as he had been during his boasting a few minutes earlier.

“Am I?” The Doctor raised his eyebrows imperturbably and plucked a jelly baby from the depths of the small paper bag. “Do have one,” he offered Biggles and his new friends. “They really are very good.” His eyes never wavered from the Master’s face.

“Twenty seconds.”

Without another word the Master spun on his heel and headed into the gloomy depths of the hangar. Casting Biggles a look of pure malice Von Stalhein strode after the rogue Time Lord. Biggles noticed with a small smile of relief that the books purchased by his arch-enemy had been left lying on the table. The smile deepened as he pictured the Prussian’s frustration when he realised his oversight – not that Biggles would have allowed the other to retain possession of the books, anyway. He suspected that too much potential for damage lay in those innocent looking works of fiction – at the very least for himself and his friends, he mused silently. As he turned to speak to the man who had rescued them a strange sound could be heard, rapidly rising in crescendo before suddenly ceasing. The Doctor pulled his watch out, glanced at it and returned it to its home. He smiled at the three humans.

“He cut that fine – only one second to spare.”

“Will that be the last we’ll see of him?” asked Waltham Senior, still staring doubtfully into the hangar‘s depths.

“I hope so,” replied the Doctor with a smile. “The changes I made to his Tardis control system will be quite difficult to fix and now I need to be going as well. The dimensional gateway that allowed me to follow the Master into this universe will soon be closing and I must return to where I belong.”

“And will you be able to guarantee this, er – gateway – remains closed?”

The strange figure cocked his head to one side and smiled disarmingly, his eyes widening as he did so.

“You should know, sir, that nothing can be guaranteed where time travel across parallel universes occurs. It’s quite a strange phenomena and I need to study it a lot more closely before I can provide a definitive opinion. But, I must be on my way. Come along K-9…”

He paused and glanced around.

“Oh, of course, I left you with Sarah Jane, didn’t I?” He shook his head as an expression of sadness briefly crossed his face. “Yes, well, as I was saying, I must be off.”

He thrust the small bag in his hand towards the bemused trio. “Sure you don’t want a jelly baby? No? Well, good-bye then.” He beamed at them and started heading past Biggles’ Spitfire.

“Doctor! What about us?” called Biggles urgently.

“What about you?” The Doctor looked back over his shoulder with a slightly puzzled look. After another step, he paused then turned around and came back.

“Why didn’t you remind me sooner? Come along, we haven’t much time to lose if you don’t want to be stuck in this world of fiction.”

TBC

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:11 am

Postby Fairblue » 28 Jan 2018, 10:05
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:

“Doctor! What about us?” called Biggles urgently.

“What about you?” The Doctor looked back over his shoulder with a slightly puzzled look. After another step, he paused then turned around and came back.

“Why didn’t you remind me sooner? Come along, we haven’t much time to lose if you don’t want to be stuck in this world of fiction.”

TBC

Well, Biggles does have a war to fight and a world to save, I suppose.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:12 am

Postby Kismet » 28 Jan 2018, 13:14

Nice use of the sonic screwdriver to tidy up, rsg. There are going to be a lot of disappointed fangirls if you whisk Biggles away too quickly, though, and Soppy will be after you with a chainsaw if she doesn't get to spend some quality time with Algy.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:13 am

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 27 Mar 2018, 07:57

A/N - Trying to wrap this one up, but it steadfastly refuses to finish!!! Here's the next update, as per Biggles' narrative that he shared with me when he popped in over the weekend...

Time to Move On (...just a little)

Striding past Biggles and the two Walthams, the Doctor headed towards the hangar’s open doors.

“Doctor! Wait!” called Biggles urgently. “I want to know what you’re going to do. All those people in there know that something very strange has happened.”

As the Doctor stopped and turned back towards the speaker, Waltham Snr voiced his own concerns.

“Biggles is right, Doctor. But I also now have concerns about our national security. If people can travel back in time with the specific aim of changing past history, how can we ever trust the present? How do I know the timeline hasn’t already been altered?”

“Well, you don’t do you? You’ll just have to trust me when I say that it probably hasn’t. It looks and feels right to me, so I think we stopped that pair just in time.” Grinning widely, the Doctor tossed his scarf back around his neck and proceeded towards the function room.

Thomas and his father exchanged helpless glances.

“What is everyone going to think when the Doctor – this particular Doctor – walks in?” muttered Thomas.

“I take it there’s been more than one Doctor?” Biggles looked at the two Walthams curiously.

“That’s a whole other story, Biggles,” responded Thomas. “Several other stories to be precise. But let’s get after him. I don’t want to miss this!”

As the Doctor pushed the door open and strode into the room, closely followed by Biggles and the two Walthams, the group inside turned almost as one. All talk ceased, and Thomas could not hide the satisfied grin as he saw the collective stunned incredulity cross his friends’ faces.

“Oh, I say! It’s that Doctor chappie who helped us out last time,” As Bertie’s exclamation of wonder broke the spell, a clamour of voices immediately erupted. Geoffrey Waltham carefully closed the door behind him and quietly moved to a window from where he could unobtrusively watch the adjacent hangar and approach to the meeting room’s door. The MC moved forward, eyes wide with amazement.

“You’re the fourth doctor!”

Biggles, who had rejoined Algy looked at his friend in surprise.

“The fourth Doctor!” mouthed Algy, his eyes as wide as those of everyone else. Biggles shook his head slightly. The day had become increasingly bizarre and frustratingly out of his control, but his memories of their earlier time travel adventure and meeting with the Doctor had returned with absolute clarity. “How many of them do you think there are?” he murmured helplessly.

Algy shook his head in an unconscious mimic of his cousin. “Who knows? And do we want to know? Don’t you think one’s enough?”

“What I do think, Algy, old son, is that this has gone on long enough. We need to get back to our own reality – wherever and whatever that is – and the Doctor is the only one who can get us there.”

So saying, Biggles moved through the throng that had surrounded the newcomer until he was beside the Time Lord.

“Doctor, you have no idea how pleased we are that you’ve arrived on the scene, but we really do need to get back to our own world, universe, reality – whatever anyone wants to call it.”

A chorus of protests greeted Biggles’ announcement, but the MC held up his hand and silence fell.

“Quiet, everyone. Biggles is right. This has been a day none of us will ever forget, but we mustn’t be selfish. They do need to return to their own England and make sure their parallel version of history plays out the way it’s meant to.”

Several people nodded as they murmured regretful agreements and the Doctor smiled brilliantly.

“The Squadron Leader is correct. We must be off rather quickly, before the anomaly closes and traps us here forever.”

“But how will you do it, Doctor?” asked the university lecturer. “Is your TARDIS parked in the hangar, too? It’s just that Biggles, Algy, Bertie and Ginger arrived in their Spitfires and we’re a little concerned that when they take off they may attract some unwanted attention.”

“Don’t worry about that,” said Waltham Senior from his position by the window, causing his son’s friends to turn to him in surprise. He had entered so quietly behind the others that no one had noticed him with the Doctor being the centre of the group’s awed attention.

“If there are any queries concerning four unrecognized Spitfires flying in the area I’m sure my son, Thomas, can quickly arrange for an official RAF cover story to quieten even the most avid conspiracy theorist.”

“By which Commander Waltham means he will arrange the cover up,” Biggles murmured quietly to Algy.

“Oh, everyone, meet my father,” exclaimed Thomas. “He popped down to see how things were going for our meeting and arrived just as the Doctor appeared.” Thomas’s quick and easy explanation caused Biggles to give the younger man a long, considering look. Was the son was also engaged in some level of military intelligence? However, mused Biggles, with a level of quiet bemusement, that really wasn’t his concern. He had enough to worry about in his own universe to become involved in special operations in another world, no matter how similar its history appeared to be.

The stranger’s presence among them explained, the group of enthusiasts re-focused their attention on the Doctor, peppering him with such a cacophony of questions that he raised his arms in mock self-defence.

“I’m really very pleased to meet you all,” he said loudly and an immediate silence fell. “I can see you’ve all had a wonderful meeting and enjoyed your special guests. But I’m afraid time is running out for us and we simply have to return, so we’ll say our goodbyes and go.”

“Oh, don’t you have time for just a cup of tea and a scone, Doctor?”

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 27 Mar 2018, 08:39

Oh, joy, oh joy, oh joy. :bounce: :woohoo: :woohodance: :dancingbananas: What a treat to wake up to. Thank you so much, RSG, for this update.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby kylie_koyote » 27 Mar 2018, 13:54

Yay! Lovely!

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:14 am

Postby Kismet » 27 Mar 2018, 14:07

Goody. Now, will all the attendees let Biggles and the doctor go home or will there be some kidnap attempts?

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:14 am

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 27 Mar 2018, 22:03
Kismet wrote:
Goody. Now, will all the attendees let Biggles and the doctor go home or will there be some kidnap attempts?
Ahhh...possibilities...possibilities... :lol:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:16 am

Whew! Here we are - all brought across. And the boys have been back - popped in for a chat and some scones etc. Might have the next bit ready for posting before this week's out. :-)

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:48 am

A/N - Well, I think another couple of updates might see this fic reach its finale.

Here's an update for those who are still following this particular yarn.

Yet Another Chapter in Biggles' Reality Check

“Yes,” urged one of the women, “if you’re a Time Lord, surely you can make time to share a cuppa and stay for a bit longer. Can’t you just fix the time lapse when you leave?”

“It’s not as simple as that,” protested the Doctor, albeit slightly half-heartedly, thought Biggles with wry amusement. “We really can’t risk the anomaly closing before we get back through.”

“But, surely, just a few more minutes wouldn’t hurt,” argued the young woman who was still firmly attached to Algy’s side and doing her best to ignore Biggles on his other side. “You are a Time Lord, aren’t you?”

“Oh…well…perhaps just a few more minutes then.” And the Doctor capitulated, accepting a cup of tea and a plate of scones that were piled high with jam and cream, with a beaming smile.

Ginger, meanwhile, had finished browsing amongst the booksellers’ tables and returned to Biggles with several titles clasped in his hands.

“Biggles, look at these books,” he said urgently, as he thrust them at his commanding officer. “There’s a whole stack of them about our lives after this show finishes. I’ve been glancing through a few of them and it looks as if Raymond – er – I mean the Air Commodore – recruits us into something called the Special Air Police and you head up a sort of special ops’ aviation division with us all as Air Detectives.”

Biggles frowned slightly as his eyes slid over the books spread along Ginger’s arm, taking in the various titles. Ginger felt a slight tension building and followed his chief’s eyes as they rested on the book at the top of the pile. Before he could say anything, Algy reached across and quietly lifted the books from Ginger’s arms.

“I shouldn’t pay too much attention to stories about events that haven’t happened yet,” he commented casually and turned to return the books to the table from which Ginger had taken them.

“Yes. Just ignore these books and let the future look after itself, my lad,” agreed Biggles. “We’ve enough on our plate in the present to be worried about fictitious possibilities in the future.”

‘Oh, do have another scone,” urged one of the ladies, waving the serving plate temptingly under Algy’s nose. “And Ginger, perhaps you could tell us some more of your adventures after you left Smettleworth and met up with Biggles?”

Ginger smiled warmly and was willingly led away to a group where he was soon regaling them with stories of that fateful journey. He was aware of Biggles’ eyes resting on him, but since his mentor made no effort to intervene, he assumed he was flying over reasonably safe territory with this particular topic.

Bertie, too, was commandeered by a small group of fans that was enthusiastically plying him with last minute questions. Everyone was realising that this amazing opportunity would soon be over.

Algy still found his own particularly devoted fan firmly attached to his side.

“Are you really sure you have to go back?” she asked imploringly. “We’ve hardly had any time with you. There’s so much I want to talk about with you.”

Algy smiled at her indulgently and turned away from Biggles, pointedly ignoring his cousin’s stare. Biggles, he noted, was not exactly short of his own set of admirers.

As the Doctor thoughtfully munched on a scone, his eyes roamed around the room. “I think we’ll need to be moving sooner rather than later,” he murmured to Biggles. “I’ve done all that can be done to prevent the Master and his friend von Stalhein from ever invading this particular universe again. But the longer we stay, the more the time continuum is being stretched and the risk of its being compromised increases. We must return while it’s still possible.”

Waltham Snr had left his post by the window and stood at Biggles’ side. He looked thoughtful as he listened to the Doctor’s warning.

“Will you be able to permanently destroy the anomaly that allowed you to come here? I ask because I am deeply concerned about the possibility of those two, or others like them, coming here and changing our history without our being any the wiser!”

“I’ve been giving that some thought,” answered the Doctor. “I believe I’ve come up with an answer. But I’ll have to do it at the precise moment the TARDIS crosses the anomaly. It will be a matter of milliseconds and that’s why I want us to get away now. I may be a Time Lord, but I can’t play around with it too much. It’s because time’s rather wibbly-wobbly, you know.”

Commander Waltham looked as if he was going to choke on the scone he had been swallowing.

“Do you really say things like that?” he asked with deep amusement. “I only heard one of your later editions allude to time being wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey…” but even the intelligence officer could contain his mirth no longer and he started to laugh helplessly.

The Doctor stared at him in consternation.

“Is your father all right?” he asked Thomas.

“Oh, yes, don’t worry about him,” grinned Thomas. “It’s just hearing you saying lines that are straight from the show. Dad’s been a huge fan all his life. He grew up with your show.”

“All right, son,” interrupted Thomas’s father, struggling to recover his equilibrium. “I’ll be fine, Doctor. All I need to know is that you will be able to pull off this time management stunt so that our world will remain unharmed.”

“Yes, I can,” stated the Doctor with more confidence than perhaps his companions would have credited. “But as I say, we have to move now.“ He glanced at the large clock on the wall. “We really do not have any time to spare.”

“Good enough,” agreed Biggles. “I think it’s time we were pulling the chocks away from those two before they say too much more, anyway.” This last as his eyes rested with wry amusement on Ginger and Bertie and their enthusiastic fans. “And my 2IC needs to say goodbye to his new lady friend,” he finished firmly as, with quiet amusement, he watched Algy allowing himself to be drawn further away.

“I have one suggestion, though, Doctor,” continued Biggles. “I believe there would be real value in allowing Commander Waltham here to keep his memories of these events so he can be on guard should something like this ever happen again.”

“That makes a lot of sense,” agreed the Doctor. “I’m afraid everyone else will be none the wiser, as once we go this will never have happened in real time here.”

“You couldn’t make an exception and allow me to keep my memories of this as well,” asked Thomas wistfully. “It’s not like I could talk about it. No one would ever believe me and I’d probably wind up being declared medically unfit. Seriously, Doctor, you could trust me. You’d be surprised at the security rating I hold.”

“I’m sure I would,” nodded the Doctor. “But it will be quite enough to allow your father to be the only one who remembers. All being well, it shouldn’t be necessary anyway. I made sure that von Stalhein’s memories won’t have survived because, as will be the case here, these events won’t have happened back in your own reality. And the Master won’t be able to cross back over again. I think allowing one guardian of your timeline will be enough.”

The Doctor moved away slightly and, to Biggles’ amusement, climbed on a nearby chair and addressed the gathered enthusiasts.

“It’s been lovely meeting all of you,” he beamed around the room and tossed his scarf across his shoulder. “But I really must get going and that means that these gentlemen need to come with me. Thank you for your hospitality. Those scones were truly delicious. Now we must say goodbye.”

With this, he hopped down from the chair and began striding towards the door. Ginger and Bertie quickly disengaged themselves from their respective admirers, as did Biggles and Algy. Algy gently pried his particularly possessive admirer’s fingers from his arm and smiled charmingly.

“It’s been lovely meeting you. But you heard the Doctor. We have to go.”

“But you only just got here!” she protested.

Privately, Algy wondered how several hours could translate into “just got here,” but he gently managed to disengage the young woman’s fingers from his arm.

Biggles, however, came to his cousin’s rescue. With the slightest of grins in Algy’s direction, he addressed their entranced audience.

“As the Doctor said, it’s been quite an experience meeting all of you. You’ve made us very welcome and we thank you for your hospitality and help. But we do have to go. Come along, chaps.”

“Are you simply going to take off in the Spitfires and just vanish?” asked one of the society’s members.

“I’m hoping that’s the way it will work,” affirmed Biggles. “But it’s really up to the Doctor how this all works out. What do you want us to do, Doctor?”

“I want you to bring those Spitfires out of the hangar and take off immediately. I’ve already put the settings into the TARDIS, so once you’re all airborne, the time trajectory will take over, align you with your correct dimension and you’ll drop right back into your original airspace and time. None of this will have ever happened.”

tbc

PS - Feedback would be encouraging and much appreciated :-)

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Post by Kismet » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:39 am

Algy gently pried his particularly possessive admirer’s fingers from his arm and smiled charmingly.

Just love this, RSG!

but he gently managed to disengage the young woman’s fingers from his arm.

And this.

Were a tenacious bunch.

I shall be so said when this over.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:48 pm

Finally managed to bring this one to its end. I hope those of you who've been following it enjoy this conclusion.

Final Chapter

“Yes,” urged one of the women, “if you’re a Time Lord, surely you can make time to share a cuppa and stay for a bit longer. Can’t you just fix the time lapse when you leave?”

“It’s not as simple as that,” protested the Doctor, albeit slightly half-heartedly, thought Biggles with wry amusement. “We really can’t risk the anomaly closing before we get back through.”

“But, surely, just a few more minutes wouldn’t hurt,” argued the young woman who was still firmly attached to Algy’s side and doing her best to ignore Biggles on his other side. “You are a Time Lord, aren’t you?”

“Oh…well…perhaps just a few more minutes then.” And the Doctor capitulated, accepting a cup of tea and a plate of scones that were piled high with jam and cream, with a beaming smile.

Ginger, meanwhile, had finished browsing amongst the booksellers’ tables and returned to Biggles with several titles clasped in his hands.

“Biggles, look at these books,” he said quietly, but urgently, as he thrust them at his commanding officer. “There’s a stack of them about our lives after this show finishes. I’ve been glancing through a few of them and it looks as if Raymond – er – I mean the Air Commodore – recruits us into something called the Special Air Police and you head up a sort of special ops’ aviation division with us all as Air Detectives.”

Biggles frowned slightly as his eyes slid over the books spread along Ginger’s arm, taking in the various titles. Ginger felt a slight tension building and followed his chief’s eyes as they rested on the book at the top of the pile. Before he could say anything, Algy reached across and quietly lifted the top two books from Ginger’s pile.

“I shouldn’t pay too much attention to stories about events that haven’t happened yet,” he commented casually.

“Yes. Just put these books back and let the future look after itself, my lad,” agreed Biggles. “We’ve enough on our plate in the present to be worried about fictitious possibilities in the future.”

He turned towards the group of still very bemused enthusiasts whose eyes were now flicking delightedly from Biggles to the Doctor.

“This has been a most entertaining interlude, and I thank you all for your hospitality, but we really must be going. It’s really great to know everything has turned out well in your reality, but I still have a war to fight back in my own universe,” said Biggles pleasantly but firmly. He turned to the Doctor who was engaged in an obviously entertaining conversation with a small group of devotees who were all talking technobabble at a considerable rate of knots.

“Doctor, I think it’s time for us to depart. I personally don’t want to create any more disturbance to the time line than we can help, so the sooner we go the better, don’t you think?”

“Of course,” beamed the Doctor as he extricated himself from the group who made no secret of their disappointment that their time with another of their very much alive fictional heroes was about to be cut short.

“Biggles is quite right,” agreed Thomas with a quick look in his father’s direction. “This has been an absolutely amazing day, but all good things must come to an end.” He turned to Biggles and the Doctor. “I have no idea how you are going to work this miracle of time manipulation, Doctor, but is there any reason we can’t all come outside and watch Biggles, Algy, Bertie and Ginger take off in their Spits?”

“Of course you can all come and watch,” agreed the Doctor, giving another beaming smile around the room. He glanced at the clock on the wall and began moving more quickly. “My goodness, how time flies when one is having fun! Come on, the clock’s ticking! We haven’t any time to waste!”

“We’d appreciate having some help getting our machines out of the hangar,” said Biggles as the whole crowd began moving towards the door with them.

Eager hands were soon guiding the precious Spitfires from the gloom of the hangars and they were soon positioned on the apron. As usual Biggles’ machine was in front. Algy’s was on the right, Ginger’s on the left and Bertie’s was bringing up the rear.

Once this was accomplished, the Doctor waved goodbye and vanished back into the hangar and into the TARDIS.

The four airmen extricated themselves, not without difficulty, from their still very excited group of admirers and climbed into their respective machines. Biggles was fastening his helmet strap when, to his amusement, he heard the Doctor’s voice speaking in his headset. He sounded very much like a child who’d just figured out how to used a new toy.

“I’ve just worked out how your antiquated radio system works, Squadron Leader Bigglesworth,” enthused the Doctor’s disembodied voice. “After you all take off, I’ll re-activate the time-space anomaly to replace you exactly where you were when the Master disrupted your flight. I will destroy it immediately we have all passed through. Hang on, it could be a rough ride.”

“And, Squadron Leader, you will all retain your memories of today’s events when you return to your own world. I can’t risk the Master seeking to change your history. You know what part of the future looks like now and you’ll know if he ever changes anything.”

Commander Waltham stood by the hangar door, quietly observing the action. He would retain his memories of today’s events, but could not share them. The Doctor had recognised the need for someone with Waltham Senior’s standing in the country’s defence and intelligence service to remain aware of the threat posed by the real rogue Time Lord, along with the real Nazi intelligence officer from the other universe. The Doctor had told the Commander that there was no possibility of anyone breaching the anomaly created by the Master once it had been destroyed, because of the alterations he had made to the Master’s controls. Waltham, however, was a naturally cautious man, especially where national security was concerned. He had decided he would write today’s events up in his personal journal using a special code that he knew his son, Thomas, would be able to decipher should the need arise.

Thomas and his friends watched wistfully as the four Spitfires taxied away and positioned themselves for takeoff. They all knew that in a few minutes none of them would have any memory of the day’s events. Each one wished desperately that they could have been permitted to retain, at the very least, memories of their encounter with their fictional heroes coming to life so spectacularly.

The Spitfires lined up on the runway and they watched as they sped across the grass.

The University lecturer started to chuckle.

“What’s so funny?” asked one of the women.

“I’ve just had a thought. If their own reality mimics the fictional scenarios of our world, they’re definitely going to have a hectic time living through all the fan-fiction action as well as WEJ’s stories!”

As he finished speaking, the legendary fighters took off together, raising their wheels and gaining height. The familiar sound of the TARDIS’s powering up came from the hangar and as they watched, the four Spitfires winked out of existence.

finis

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Post by Kismet » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:59 pm

I don't know if I'm pleased to have one more post or sorry that it wraps it all up! This was a great fic, RSG. I really enjoyed this one. A brilliant premise.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Return to “Works in Progress”