Flight Lieutenant
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Re: Re-Posting Biggles Reality Check

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 pm

Postby Fairblue » 05 Mar 2016, 10:13
archie wrote:
Oh, good! I'm glad the boys are talking to you- not to mention that you can get on the Forum! :mrgreen: :yay:

I may now be late for work- but this is far more important... :lol:
Too true, archie. The phone rang whilst I was reading this and I ignored it. RSG, I'm :woohoo: and :bounce: over all this. What a super surprise!

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 pm

Postby Spitfire666 » 05 Mar 2016, 11:30
archie wrote:
Oh, good! I'm glad the boys are talking to you- not to mention that you can get on the Forum! :mrgreen: :yay:

I may now be late for work- but this is far more important... :lol:
Indeed it is, archie - good show, RSG :!:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:52 pm

Re: Biggles’ Reality Check
Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 05 Mar 2016, 12:11

Thank you, kind friends :D I do like it when the boys find time to drop in and give me up dates like this. I'm rather hoping they'll pop back this coming week :D

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby Kismet » 05 Mar 2016, 12:20

“I have a question,” Biggles spoke up, glancing around the room.

What is the reason you have difficulty accessing the internet and how can it be brought up to speed? You really cannot leave things on this note. Something will have to be done about the PNG internet!

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Mar 2016, 12:35

Absolutely marvelous!

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:53 pm

Postby tiffinata » 05 Mar 2016, 22:58

:D :D :D

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:53 pm

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 29 Mar 2016, 08:14

A/N - Here's the next bit (as relayed to me via the boys...)

Biggles Reality Check (part, the next...)

“Actually, to be honest, I have more than one question. But I’ll put this one first. “What is the ‘Battle of Britain Memorial Flight’? Our RAF fought a battle against Hitler’s Luftwaffe close to two years ago when we were virtually the last men standing, and we did literally save Britain from invasion then. But we call it the Battle of the Few because our PM, Winston Churchill said, when it looked as if we’d successfully held the Luftwaffe off, ‘Never in the field of human history has so much been owed by so many to so few.’ And he said it would go down in history as the Battle of the Few. I’m wondering if that is the same as your Battle of Britain?”

Biggles’ questions were greeted with a momentary startled silence as the forum members looked at one another before, with one accord they all looked back at Thomas.

“You’re our resident RAF fighter pilot, old chap,” grinned the MC, “not to mention being a member of the BOB Flight. If anyone should be an expert on our Battle of Britain, it should be you, so…over to you.”

“It sounds as if we’re talking about similar, if not identical events,” began Thomas. ‘What was the timeframe for your Battle of the Few…er…Biggles?” Thomas could not hide his grin as he addressed his long time fictional hero who was now sitting before him, asking questions. He wondered whether, if he pinched himself, he would wake up from this particularly marvelous dream.

Biggles glanced at his compatriots as if seeking input before answering. The four held a brief muttered conversation and then turned as one towards the speaker.

“May 1940 through to the end of October 1940,” stated Biggles. “I don’t have a problem giving you that information. It’s all common knowledge now. We all lost some good friends during that show, but it has put paid to Hitler’s invasion plans.”

“Spiffing to know that you care so much that you’ve created this Memorial Flight,” put in Bertie, enthusiastically polishing his monocle much to the continued delight of all present. “Our Churchill seems pretty determined that it’ll gain a permanent place in the history books, don’t you know?”

“It might be over 70 years ago,” commented one of the English ladies, “but it’s become as much ingrained into our national psyche as the Battle of Hastings.”

“Good grief!!” exclaimed Algy. “You had a Battle of Hastings, too? It definitely seems that some things are real in both realities, then!”

“So it would seem,” agreed Biggles thoughtfully. “I’ll ask my next question, if I you don’t mind my holding centre stage for a while.”

The gathered WEJ fans all grinned and shook their heads together.

“You can all hold centre stage for as long as you like, Biggles,” the MC assured him with a grin. Algy’s and Bertie’s particular fan club members nodded their heads enthusiastically, whilst several others obviously could not tear their eyes away from these living breathing incarnations of Biggles and Ginger.

“You mentioned a book entitled Biggles in the Baltic,” Biggles frowned as he mentally thought through the implications of his thoughts. “May I ask what that was all about?”

Several voices began to answer and the MC laughingly held up a hand. “Yes, I know we all know the storyline backwards, but perhaps Thomas should answer since this seems to be the book that introduced him to Biggles and launched his initial interest in Biggles and Co.”

“Ah, but that’s another story entirely,” laughed the University lecturer and the audience broke into appreciative chuckles, whereupon the four confused airmen shared startled glances yet again.

“Are you saying there’s also a book about our activities as an aviation company between the wars?” asked Biggles slowly.

“I told you we should have looked at those books more closely,” complained Ginger indignantly. “Our whole lives seem to have been written up and published here as fiction, and we don’t have a clue…”

“All right, Ginger,” interrupted Biggles quietly, but in the particular tone of voice that warned his insubordinate not to continue. The younger man pursed his lips and subsided, but cast another look around the room at the posters and books on display.

“If that particular book is aligned with the activities of our company in our own universe, then you’ll all appreciate that for us, that information is still strictly classified,” continued Biggles disarmingly, “which brings me to my original question. Can you tell me what The Baltic story is all about?” he directed his final question towards the younger serving RAF officer.

“Only to happy to do so,” responded Thomas with a grin. He then provided a brief synopsis of the adventures of Biggles, Algy and Ginger and their support team on Bergen Ait as told by WE Johns.

“…and that’s about it,” finished Thomas. “Have I left anything out, everyone?”

“No, Tom, that was a fairly succinct and comprehensive synopsis,” the MC assured him.

The four airmen exchanged glances at the end of Thomas’s explanation and Biggles drew in a breath.

“And that’s still very definitely classified, I can assure you!” Biggles was quiet as he sat mulling over events and mentally realizing that they would have to accept the reality of the situation.

“One thing has just occurred to me,” he said slowly. “If we’ve somehow managed to arrive here, and everything here parallels our own history and all these supposedly fiction books record vital aspects of our history, then if an enemy agent were to also be brought forward in time to this place, then they could read these books about us. But I’m guessing there would obviously be genuine history books freely available that they could read and then return with enough information to change the course of the war and history.”

A stunned silence greeted his words.

“My goodness!” muttered the MC. “This is definitely food for thought. And not particularly reassuring thoughts, either!”

“Yes,” agreed Biggles grimly. “We need the Doctor to turn up rather urgently. The last thing we need is for von Stalhein to be caught up in this time space continuum. You can be absolutely certain if he arrived here, he’d take full advantage of both your fiction and your genuine history to take back with him.”

“For crying out aloud!” exclaimed Algy. “The man’s a bad enough menace as it is. Heaven help us all if that happened! You keep saying he’s never forgiven England for winning the last war, so if, as history in this particular reality seems to indicate, the Allies are heading for victory, he’ll be absolutely livid and would stop at nothing to prevent it!”

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:54 pm

Postby SopwithCamel » 29 Mar 2016, 08:27

Fantastic update, RSG.
Algy’s and Bertie’s particular fan club members nodded their heads enthusiastically

:love:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:54 pm

Postby Spitfire666 » 29 Mar 2016, 09:17
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
A/N - Here's the next bit (as relayed to me via the boys...)

Biggles Reality Check (part, the next...)
“One thing has just occurred to me,” he said slowly. “If we’ve somehow managed to arrive here, and everything here parallels our own history and all these supposedly fiction books record vital aspects of our history, then if an enemy agent were to also be brought forward in time to this place, then they could read these books about us. But I’m guessing there would obviously be genuine history books freely available that they could read and then return with enough information to change the course of the war and history.”
Oh er - not a nice thought :shock: :!:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:55 pm

Postby Fairblue » 29 Mar 2016, 11:13

S
opwithCamel wrote:
Fantastic update, RSG.

Algy’s and Bertie’s particular fan club members nodded their heads enthusiastically

:love:
Goes for me too.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:55 pm

Oh my. What a wonderful update to wake up to.
“Good grief!!” exclaimed Algy. “You had a Battle of Hastings, too?"

Loved that line, RSG.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:56 pm

Postby kylie_koyote » 29 Mar 2016, 14:06

What a delightful way to start my day! Thanks RSG.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:56 pm

Postby archie » 01 Apr 2016, 18:41
RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
“For crying out aloud!” exclaimed Algy. “The man’s a bad enough menace as it is. Heaven help us all if that happened! You keep saying he’s never forgiven England for winning the last war, so if, as history in this particular reality seems to indicate, the Allies are heading for victory, he’ll be absolutely livid and would stop at nothing to prevent it!”
Trust EVS to cast a sinister shadow over all our fun... :evil:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:57 pm

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 16 Apr 2016, 12:50

I thought I'd post this bit, even thought it's a bit short, because the next week and a half look like being totally crazy and I'm not sure if I'll have time to write updates for a few weeks... :oops:

A stunned silence greeted Biggles’ and Algy’s comments.

“Ummm…I don’t think that thought had even crossed my mind,” said the MC. “What about anyone else?”

There were various murmurs of assent as everyone regarded their real life fictional heroes, allowing the enormity of Biggles’ and Algy’s scenarios to register.

“Oh. My. Goodness!” exclaimed one of the older ladies. “I have some wonderful young German friends now and they hate, loathe and detest all that Hitler and Nazi-ism stood for and the devastation they unleashed. No one alive today wants those horrors to survive triumphant!”

“Unfortunately, if any of the enemy followed us through that time and space displacement they could change history and I doubt you’d be any the wiser,” stated Biggles grimly.

“Oh, I say,” exclaimed Bertie, whose agitation could be clearly seen by the vigorous polishing he was inflicting upon his helpless monocle as he turned to Biggles. “This could be a bit of a conundrum, old boy. Do you have any bright ideas?”

“No I don’t, Bertie. Do you?” his CO retorted, with a slight sarcasm that Bertie’s fans privately thought was unwarranted and one lady subjected Biggles to a hard stare, which was completely ignored.

“Maybe we should just hop back in our machines and take off and see if we can find that weird storm that seems to have brought us here,” suggested Ginger helpfully.

“And how do you suggest we go about doing that?” There was no mistaking the patent sarcasm this time, although Ginger appeared completely unabashed.

“Well, we could try back tracking on our compass course. We know where we were before we wound up here. We could head back there and maybe the phenomena would take us home.”

“And maybe we’d run out of petrol while we were stooging around upstairs looking for the way back, or maybe this reality’s RAF would send a machine or two up and insist we land somewhere official. How do you propose to explain what’s happened?”

“Well,” offered Ginger tentatively looking at Algy and Bertie for support, “it seems you’re well known here anyway because of all the books written about us, and there’s a pretty good chance that whoever we have to front up to would believe us and they might be able to help us – especially since you’ve raised the issue of changing history. That has to be a matter of national security.” Algy looked at the younger officer, obviously struggling to maintain a straight face, whilst Bertie stopped polishing his monocle and gazed at Ginger in unfeigned amazement.

“And I suppose you’d like to do the explaining?” asked Biggles. “Are you suggesting we march up to the Air Chief Marshall and tell him we’re the characters in all those books over there come to life and we’re worried that the real Erich von Stalhein might follow us through whatever time-space continuum distortion we’ve experienced and change history?”

“Well, er, I was thinking that you’d do the talking,” Ginger offered.

“Goodness! They are just like the books, aren’t they?” murmured one enthusiast to her neighbour in awe.

Algy glanced across at the speaker.

“If this is what Biggles is like in those books of yours, then your author’s guns are firing straight and true.”

Biggles glared. “Don’t push it, Algy, old son. I think Toddy’d be only too happy to have you added to the Orderly Officer roster when we get back.”

But Algy grinned irrepressibly. “But Bertie’s question is the question Biggles, old boy. Normally that needle sharp brain of yours would have already come up with a solution.” He glanced apologetically towards Ginger. “Sorry, Ginger, but I don’t think your idea will wash, either.”

Biggles lips began to twitch. “Well, I don’t. It’s not exactly every day of the week we find ourselves in some sort of fantasy land where we only exist in books and quite frankly, I must confess to being stumped. If you’ve got an idea, Algy, now’s the time to come out with it.”

“I wish I did. But I don’t,” rejoined Algy.

“See,” muttered the Australian woman in aside to her neighbour. “I think I’m right. Algy hasn’t once called Biggles ‘sir’.”

tbc

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 pm

Postby Kismet » 16 Apr 2016, 13:19
because the next week and a half look like being totally crazy and I'm not sure if I'll have time to write updates for a few weeks..
Noooooooooo.
“Are you suggesting we march up to the Air Chief Marshall and tell him we’re the characters in all those books over there come to life and we’re worried that the real Erich von Stalhein might follow us through whatever time-space continuum distortion we’ve experienced and change history?”

“Well, er, I was thinking that you’d do the talking,” Ginger offered.
Love it, RSG.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 pm

Postby kylie_koyote » 16 Apr 2016, 13:41

Lol. I'm sitting here with a big grin on my face.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:59 pm

Postby Fairblue » 16 Apr 2016, 14:40
"See,” muttered the Australian woman in aside to her neighbour. “I think I’m right. Algy hasn’t once called Biggles ‘sir’.”
Love this, RSG and all the rest.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:00 am

Postby archie » 16 Apr 2016, 23:57
Fairblue wrote:
"See,” muttered the Australian woman in aside to her neighbour. “I think I’m right. Algy hasn’t once called Biggles ‘sir’.”
Love this, RSG and all the rest.
Ditto that :D

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 17 Jul 2017, 12:36

I see it's been over 12 months since the last update in this story. Well, it's been a crazy 12 months :D but I've finally managed to move this yarn on a little bit.

Biggles' Reality Check - the next bit...

Biggles glanced at Algy and raised an ironic eyebrow, but Algy merely grinned in return.

Bertie and Ginger had also heard the muttered comment and Bertie responded indignantly.

“Oh, I say, that’s not right, not right at all. Of course Algy calls the CO ‘sir’, don’t you old top?”

“Of course,” agreed Algy amicably. Biggles, however, rolled his eyes and fixed his long-time friend with a cynical stare.

“Something else we need to discuss when we get back,” he murmured sotto voice before his twitching lips betrayed his amusement.

“Well, dash it all, old bean, I’m sure I’ve heard Algy call you ‘sir’,” persisted Bertie, polishing his monocle rather vigorously.

“All right, drop it Bertie,” Biggles’ tone, although soft and pleasant, left his audience in no doubt that he did not want this particular conversation pursued.

The two women exchanged amused glances.

“I’d love to be a fly on the wall when they do eventually return to their own time and space,” murmured the English lady. “They’re just so exactly like WEJ portrays them.”

Thomas had been listening thoughtfully while this discussion had been underway. Now he finally spoke.

“I think you’re correct when you mention the possibility of security, Biggles. In fact, this isn’t something that we can just ignore – there’s too much at stake. I wonder if you’d all mind terribly if I spoke with Biggles privately?”

There was a murmur of general agreement and the meeting split into groups gathered around their own particular favourite and animated conversations broke out as Algy, Bertie and Ginger were bombarded with questions that they each laughingly endeavoured to answer.

Thomas drew Biggles aside, leading him outside as he spoke quietly and urgently.

“Look, my father is actually in Intelligence these days. Obviously I don’t broadcast that around and everyone here thinks he’s something in Logistics in the Defence Department. But I can’t in all conscience ignore the threat you’ve just highlighted. I need to get Father down here to talk to you. Do you mind terribly?”

“Of course not. I agree. And I’d be much happier knowing that someone such as your father understood the danger – although what on earth can be done about it, I don’t know at this stage.”

“Well, that’s his specialty. I’ll give him a call now.”

Biggles watched in bemused silence as Thomas used his mobile phone to call his father. The conversation was brief and the younger RAF officer pressed a button on the small device before slipping it into his jacket pocket then he looked up at Biggles.

“Dad’s on his way down. He should be here within a few minutes,” Thomas said nonchalantly.

“A few minutes!! Where is he coming from? He must be very close.”

Thomas’s lips twitched. “He’ll come by chopper – he flies, and the Department keep at least one ready to go at a moment’s notice. This is only about 10 minutes from where Dad’s based.”

“Won’t a helicopter landing here attract unnecessary attention?”

‘No. They’re common. No one will so much as turn a hair. Not like seeing four Spitfires turn up out of the blue would!!”

Biggles frowned and glanced around – this time he paused long enough to take in the surrounding countryside and to notice the differences between this and his own Rawlham. His gaze fell upon a stream of motor traffic, glimpsed through the trees still lining the old airfield’s boundary, and he realized this was the source of the dull roar he had vaguely registered upon their arrival. Sleek cars, large lorries and even larger semi-trailers roared along in an apparently never-ending stream. His keen hearing detected a different noise and Thomas nodded affirmation to the questioning look Biggles cast towards him as he turned his back on the road and looked northwards towards a rapidly approaching helicopter. This, he presumed, would be Thomas’s father – the erstwhile Naval Commander now involved in Intelligence.

Biggles watched appreciatively as the small aircraft landed smoothly, not far from where they stood. A tall man alighted, and strode quickly towards them. He greeted his son with an outstretched hand and a affirmative slap on the shoulder before turning towards Biggles.

‘Perhaps you’d better introduce me to your friend, Thomas,” the older man suggested.

“Ummm…yes,” Thomas glanced at Biggles. “This is my father, Geoffrey Waltham. And…well, the thing is Dad, you’re probably not going to believe this, but this is Squadron Leader James Bigglesworth.”

Biggles held out his hand as the other man’s eyebrows almost disappeared beneath his hairline.

“It’s not a colossal leg-pull, Dad,” Thomas said urgently. “You need to listen to what Biggles has to say.”

Geoffrey Waltham eyed Biggles speculatively before slowly extending his hand towards the man wearing what was clearly a World War Two RAF uniform. A slightly embarrassed silence followed, which Biggles eventually broke.

“Your son is speaking the truth, sir. By some inexplicable turn of events, my fellow pilots and I have become somewhat displaced in time.”

“Perhaps you’d better tell me the full story,” suggested the intelligence man quietly. “I know my son well enough to know that, whilst he may indulge himself in the occasional elaborate joke, even he would not call me out to what he calls a potential national emergency.” The keen eyes, of a piercing blue that Biggles suspected could turn icy cold, never left Biggles face as the man studied him. Finally he turned to his son.

“Is there somewhere we can talk, Thomas?”

‘How about inside the hangar?” suggested Biggles. “Our Spitfires are parked in there out of public view.”

Geoffrey Waltham nodded his assent and the three men were soon inside the old, long abandoned hangar, which now housed the four Spitfires. His eyebrows rose again as he gazed at the aircraft, noting the bullet holes with a professional eye. He turned to Biggles.

“Go ahead. I’m listening.”

Ten minutes later he stood staring at Biggles consideringly. He glanced at his son, whose input into the tale had provided the contemporary perspective of the shock the group of fans had experienced.

“I realise this must sound totally impossible, but it is the truth,” Biggles stated simply, wondering if the intelligence officer had believed him. Even to his own ears, it had sounded wildly improbable. Yet it had happened. How, he didn’t know. But the potential for tragic consequences had to be dealt with. “I can only re-iterate, that if an enemy agent was also caught up in that time-space continuum anomaly, there is a very real danger that they could gain enough knowledge from both your real history and those fiction novels about us and go back to our world and change the outcome of the war. Not only that, as I said earlier to Thomas’s friends, you can’t ignore the potential for them to change your history without your even being aware of it.”

tbc

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby Fairblue » 17 Jul 2017, 12:58

What an absolutely delightful surprise, RSG. Really glad you've had time to give is this update. Can't wait for more.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:01 am

Postby Kismet » 17 Jul 2017, 13:04

Unexpected and wonderful! Please keep plenty of time in your diary for FURTHER UPDATES RSG!

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:01 am

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 Jul 2017, 13:49

Oh yay! I do love this story, and I'm eager to find out how they sort themselves out. :claphappy:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:02 am

Thanks chaps :yay:
kylie_koyote wrote:
I'm eager to find out how they sort themselves out. :claphappy:
So am I... :thinking2: