RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Re-Posting Biggles Reality Check

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:43 am

Thought I'd try my hand at bringing one of my "Works in Progress" across from the old forum.

Biggles’ Reality Check
Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 12 Jul 2013, 06:29

And now for something just a little different.... :lol:

Biggles’ Reality Check

Biggles blinked as his Spitfire roared out of the strange storm into brilliant sunshine, his three companions still in formation around him. He toggled his radio, attempting to call up the others, but was met with static.

“All that lightning must have cooked the wireless,” he mused, glancing sideways to where Algy’s Spit was firmly attached to his wing position. A quick look at his fuel gauge confirmed his suspicions that they all needed to find a suitable landing site – quickly. He leant out of his cockpit and surveyed the landscape below. “Where on earth are we?” he wondered aloud. “I could have sworn we were over Kent when we crossed the coast and the storm hit us.” He frowned as his experienced eyes took in the landscape below. The countryside flashing past beneath certainly bore a striking resemblance to that surrounding Rawlham, but where was his airfield? As his keen eyes roved over the ground below, he viewed a level strip of ground, with some derelict buildings scattered around. His perplexity grew when he noticed the lack of activity. Where were the ground personnel? The place looked abandoned. Could he risk landing here, wherever ‘here’ was? Another quick glance at the fuel gauge decided the matter and, sliding back the canopy, he leant a gloved hand out and pointed down. Algy nodded, as did Bertie on his other side. Ginger, Biggles presumed, would follow as usual.

The four Spitfires rolled to a stop and Biggles switched off, landing lightly on his feet as he jumped down from his cockpit. His hand rested lightly on his service pistol as the others joined him.

“What on earth’s happened?” asked Ginger, his eyes wide with wonder as he gazed around.

I don’t know,” Biggles answered slowly, “but I intend to find out. It’s only two hours since we left.”

“Do you think the Boche could have finally invaded?” asked Algy quietly, his own hand resting reassuringly on his pistol.

“In two hours?” Biggles’ eyebrow rose consideringly. His eyes met Algy’s and recognised his own concern mirrored there. “There’s only one way to find out. Keep together and let’s check the place out.”

“It really is Rawlham, isn’t it Old Warrior?” queried Bertie uncertainly as he, too, gazed around in wonder.

‘I’d stake a whole month’s pay on that, Bertie,” returned Biggles grimly. “But something has happened in our absence. By the looks of things, all the machines are gone as well as our whole squadron. Keep on the alert and cover one another.”

“Are you going to fill our kites first?” queried Ginger worriedly.

“That’s going to take a while, Ginger,” Biggles continued to look around, his sense of unease growing at an alarming rate. He was subliminally aware of an unceasing dull roar that didn’t seem to grow any louder, but nor was it lessening. “Let’s find out what’s going on first.”

Having made up his mind on a course of action, Biggles shed his heavy flying jacket, gloves, helmet and goggles and tossed them back into his cockpit while the others did the same. The four pilots, pistols held lightly by their sides, walked slowly towards the building that only that morning had been their Mess. As they approached, they were aware of faces peering out the window and a group of three or four civilians standing transfixed in the doorway.

“Who are you, and what are you doing here?” demanded Biggles as they cautiously approached.

“We could ask you the same question,” retorted a woman boldly as she barred his way inside. “If you’re here for our meeting, we’d like to know who you are.”

As Biggles stared at her, he heard one of the others whisper in the background, “They flew Spitfires. Real Spitfires.”

“I think I should be the one asking the questions,” returned Biggles curtly. “Who are you and what are you doing here?”

“Ooooh, this is just wonderful,” cried another of the group as she took in their uniforms. “Of course they’ve come for the meeting. Why else would they be dressed like that? I want to know how they got the Spitfires. Four Spitties! I can’t believe it.”

“I’m Squadron Leader James Bigglesworth, Commanding Officer of this base. Now perhaps you’ll explain what’s happened here!”

“Of course, you’re Biggles!” exclaimed a younger woman. She grinned delightedly. “Which members of the forum are you, really? This is super, the way you’ve dressed up for our meeting.”

“What on earth are they talking about?” asked Algy dazedly, gazing from the excited group blocking the door to the Mess to Biggles.

“Perhaps you’d be so kind as to stand aside and allow us to enter,” suggested Biggles firmly, never relaxing his grip on his pistol. Whatever was going on, he was not going to be taken by surprise. “And then you can tell us exactly how you’ve come to be here and what you’ve done with the rest of my people.”

As Biggles moved forward, the group in the door parted and the four airmen entered their Mess only to stop and stare in amazement. The room had undergone a dramatic change since they had left it after breakfast. One wall was now adorned with a series of posters, each one bearing a different title, but all had one thing in common. Biggles’ name was in them all and nearly all featured a different type of aircraft in the illustration beneath his name.

“Oh, by Jove, old boy, something seems to have happened all right. Yes by the anti-clockwise prop of my sainted aunt Lizzie, something’s definitely happened,” stated Bertie, gazing at the posters as if mesmerised.
Last edited by RAAF Spitfire Girl on 21 Aug 2013, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Re-Posting Biggles Reality Check

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:44 am

Re: Biggles’ Reality Check
Postby Spitfire666 » 12 Jul 2013, 06:58

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:

Biggles’ Reality Check

“Ooooh, this is just wonderful,” cried another of the group as she took in their uniforms. “Of course they’ve come for the meeting. Why else would they be dressed like that? I want to know how they got the Spitfires. Four Spitties! I can’t believe it.”

So who is going to arrange this for our next meeting :?: :bounce:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:45 am

Postby Fairblue » 12 Jul 2013, 07:25

Biggles’ Reality Check
Oh, RSG, absolutely awesomely splendid. :bounce: :bounce: :boing: (Or even splendidly awesome).
Last edited by Fairblue on 14 Jul 2013, 20:10, edited 2 times in total.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:46 am

Postby SaintedAunt » 12 Jul 2013, 08:38

Spitfire666 wrote:

Biggles’ Reality Check

So who is going to arrange this for our next meeting :?: :bounce:

It will be a meeting not to be missed then :claphappy: :banana:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:47 am

Postby archie » 12 Jul 2013, 09:02

“Oh, by Jove, old boy, something seems to have happened all right. Yes by the anti-clockwise prop of my sainted aunt Lizzie, something’s definitely happened,” stated Bertie, gazing at the posters as if mesmerised.

You could have a point there, Bertie... :lol: :yay:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:47 am

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 12 Jul 2013, 10:25

Wow...amazing, very clever & just wow!! Awesome reality check/alternate reality "escapade".

For a minute there as I was reading I could almost hear the "Twilight Zone" music intro as they stepped on to the tarmac & realised that in 2 hrs they had in fact fast forwarded 70 yrs to a 2013 Biggles fan-fest forum! [hehe].....or maybe they were lost in the Bermuda Triangle & came out at the "other end'....hmmm. [Time travel & Biggles?....who would have thought, oops, 1986 movie anyone?].

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:48 am

Postby Spitfire666 » 12 Jul 2013, 10:30

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
Wow...amazing, very clever & just wow!! Awesome reality check/alternate reality "escapade".

For a minute there as I was reading I could almost hear the "Twilight Zone" music intro as they stepped on to the tarmac & realised that in 2 hrs they had in fact fast forwarded 70 yrs to a 2013 Biggles fan-fest forum! [hehe].....or maybe they were lost in the Bermuda Triangle & came out at the "other end'....hmmm. [Time travel & Biggles?....who would have thought, oops, 1986 movie anyone?].

heh heh - more like Mixed Bag :!:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:48 am

Postby SaintedAunt » 21 Aug 2013, 10:20

I just cannot understand how I missed this :o

Brilliant :jollygood: :banana: :bounce: :cheers2:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:49 am

Postby SopwithCamel » 21 Aug 2013, 16:30

Biggles’ name was in them all

If I had my way, we all know whose name would be on those posters... :twisted:

By the way, do we know who is who in the fic? You know, who's the bold welcomer, who's the whispering person, who's the younger woman who took in their uniforms etc etc?

And am I in there somewhere...? :shock:

I'd better be. :evil: Not missing a chance to see Algy in person.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby Spitfire666 » 21 Aug 2013, 17:25

SopwithCamel wrote:
Biggles’ name was in them all

By the way, do we know who is who in the fic? You know, who's the bold welcomer, who's the whispering person, who's the younger woman who took in their uniforms etc etc?

Well, I think "Spittie" is an Aussie contraction... :D

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 21 Aug 2013, 23:31

Spitfire666 wrote:
SopwithCamel wrote:

Well, I think "Spittie" is an Aussie contraction... :D

It is indeed, S666 - but how many Aussies are on this forum :lol:
Well, the boys turned up looking for some beds last night - all looking a bit the worse for wear - but they promised, that in return for a few days refuge from Raymond to bring me up to scratch on a few of their tales that they left hanging when they dashed off last time. We're turning the house over to them for a few days to let them rest and recuperate, so I'll be holding them to their promise when I'm home again next week - just hope Mr RSG and I can trust them.... there is that motorbike in the garage, not to mention the keys to a hangar in Mrs RSG's car's glovebox.... :roll:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:50 am

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 22 Aug 2013, 07:59

Biggles' Reality Check [cont'd]

As Biggles’ eyes followed Bertie’s gaze he, too, stared in thunderstruck amazement. Then he turned to the group that had been hovering around the door and who seemed just as awestruck as the four airmen.

“They can’t be real…can they?” asked one of women in a strangled whisper, then shaking her head as if in admonition, she addressed Biggles again.

“You’re really good, but we do need to know who you are and if you’ve paid your registration or not. Are you members of the forum? We’re all keen to hear what you have to say – how did you get the Spitfires? There’s only a few left in the world and they’re worth millions…” her voice trailed off and she looked at the pilots with increasing uncertainty. They were brilliant actors, she would give them that – and given her own love of theatre and her connections to the theatrical world she could appreciate the way they were portraying the characters. But the joke had to be acknowledged. Who were they, and who had put them up to it?

“Only a few Spitfires left in the world?” repeated Algy, staring at the speaker in growing disbelief. “What a lot of…” But Biggles interrupted with a warning glance.

“I’m sorry, we truly don’t know who you are, and I’m beginning to suspect that we’re not where we thought we were. Come on,” he ordered peremptorily, “we need to move.”

But Biggles’ movement towards the door appeared to break the spell that had enthralled the small crowd gathered in the room and the four pilots found their exit barred by a determined group of eager-eyed people. For the first time, Biggles took a few moments to really take stock of the gathered people – and his surroundings. He felt a slight wave of dizziness sweep over him and he blinked as a previously unremembered conversation flashed into his mind. The four of them were standing on a landing field in a much warmer climate with a mixed group of people, some sporting strange uniforms, staring at a strange apparition of a man with an unruly mass of curly hair and a lengthy scarf. Something about the year being 1982 when just a few hours earlier it had been 1942. The man a doctor of some sort, Biggles remembered, had said something about them not being able to remember what had just happened because when they returned to their own time it wouldn’t have actually happened as yet…

“Algy,” Biggles said urgently in a low strangled voice, “I’ve just remembered something.”

Algy turned startled eyes on Biggles and slowly nodded his head. “So have I,” he said slowly as Bertie and Ginger murmured their own recognition of this strange “memory”.

“Have we come forward in time…again?” asked Ginger quietly, gazing around at the group and finally taking in the hairstyles and the mode of dress of the group of strangers now inhabiting what had been the Officers’ Mess at 666.

“Algy! You’re Algy!” shrieked another young woman, throwing herself at the startled Flight Lieutenant with enthusiastic abandon and throwing her arms around him. To his amazement she then turned and faced the onlookers with her arms outspread.
“Algy’s mine. You all know that, so hands off!”

Bertie’s grin was cut short as two other women simultaneously rushed at him and threw themselves upon him.

“Bertie! Is it really you?” they chorused together and then traded delighted grins with one another as they clung to him, one on either arm. Bertie’s eyeglass fell from his face with a clatter and he tried desperately to disengage himself.

“I say, ladies, um… my beastly monocle… d’you mind awfully…” and stammering incoherently, Flight Lieutenant Lord Bertie Lissie apologetically shook off their arms and bent down to search for his missing eyepiece.

“Here it is, Bertie,” grinned one of his admirers, deftly rescuing it a fraction of a second before her laughing rival could do the same, and handing it back to him.

Biggles stood watching this activity with raised eyebrows. Turning to the group of four or five women who were blocking the doorway, he reached into his pocket and withdrew his cigarette case. He opened it and politely offered it to the women, all of whom burst out laughing.

“Oh, you’re just too good, all of you,” laughed one with a distinct Australian accent. “This has definitely been worth the trip! I can’t, for the life of me, think how we’ll top this with our next get together back home!” She laughed and turned to the others who were all grinning in delight at Biggles.

“I want to know where you found the Spitfires – and who owns them,” asked another woman, looking at them quizzically. “It’s fantastic that you’re all pilots and that you’ve been hired to do this. It’s really made our…Oh! You can’t do that!” she broke off with a startled exclamation as Biggles held his lighter to the end of the cigarette he’d placed between his lips. “That’s taking it a bit too far. You know we’re not allowed to smoke in here, don’t you? You’ll have to go to the designated smoking area.”

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:50 am

Postby SopwithCamel » 22 Aug 2013, 08:22

“Algy! You’re Algy!” shrieked another young woman, throwing herself at the startled Flight Lieutenant with enthusiastic abandon and throwing her arms around him. To his amazement she then turned and faced the onlookers with her arms outspread.

Now let me see, who could that be...? :hellochap: :love:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:51 am

Postby SaintedAunt » 22 Aug 2013, 08:32

...they promised, that in return for a few days refuge from Raymond to bring me up to scratch on a few of their tales that they left hanging when they dashed off last time...

Sorry about that RAAFSG - I guess you can blame FB and myself for that, but you didn't want poor Algy left in a Fee being attacked by a Fokker for too long did you :twisted:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby SaintedAunt » 22 Aug 2013, 08:36

They were brilliant actors, she would give them that – and given her own love of theatre and her connections to the theatrical world she could appreciate the way they were portraying the characters
Ah-ha - I can guess who that is ;)
You know we’re not allowed to smoke in here, don’t you? You’ll have to go to the designated smoking area

:lol: :bounce: :banana:
Last edited by RAAF Spitfire Girl on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Postby Spitfire666 » 22 Aug 2013, 10:26

As Biggles’ eyes followed Bertie’s gaze he, too, stared in thunderstruck amazement. Then he turned to the group that had been hovering around the door and who seemed just as awestruck as the four airmen.
:thumbsup2: :cheers2: :banana: :bounce: I don't think SC would have needed to be told who was Algy, and I am sure that people bringing their own Spitfires would not be asked for a registration fee, but this is all quite priceless. :thumbup: :boing:
Last edited by RAAF Spitfire Girl on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:52 am

Postby archie » 22 Aug 2013, 11:57

Sorry, I have nothing useful to say; I'm too busy giggling... :cheers2: :bounce:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:54 am

Postby Fairblue » 22 Aug 2013, 15:44

Bertie’s grin was cut short as two other women simultaneously rushed at him and threw themselves upon him.
I wonder who on earth I wonder could they be? :lol: : :lol:
“That’s taking it a bit too far. You know we’re not allowed to smoke in here, don’t you? You’ll have to go to the designated smoking area.”
:nono:
Oh my, oh my. Absolutely priceless. I've nothing else to say RSG, except :bounce: :banana: :boing: :cheers2: :claphappy:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:56 am

Postby Lord Bertie » 31 Aug 2013, 18:58
I am weeping onto my keyboard from laughing too hard. Oh how wonderful this is. Oh just beautiful.

SopwithCamel wrote:

Now let me see, who could that be...? :hellochap: :love:

Help yourself, love. I certainly don't have a problem with that.

“Bertie! Is it really you?” they chorused together and then traded delighted grins with one another as they clung to him, one on either arm. Bertie’s eyeglass fell from his face with a clatter and he tried desperately to disengage himself.

Don't think I'm either of them. I'd be in a dead faint on the floor if I saw Bertie face to face... :roll:

“It’s fantastic that you’re all pilots and that you’ve been hired to do this. It’s really made our…Oh! You can’t do that!” she broke off with a startled exclamation as Biggles held his lighter to the end of the cigarette he’d placed between his lips. “That’s taking it a bit too far. You know we’re not allowed to smoke in here, don’t you? You’ll have to go to the designated smoking area.”
:lol: :bounce: :lol: :bounce:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:58 am

Postby Fairblue » 31 Aug 2013, 19:38

Lord Bertie wrote:
I am weeping onto my keyboard from laughing too hard. Oh how wonderful this is. Oh just beautiful.

Isn't it just?

RAAFSptifireGirl wrote:
Lord Bertie wrote:
Don't think I'm either of them. I'd be in a dead faint on the floor if I saw Bertie face to face... :roll:

That's quite all right, LB. I'll stick a cushion under your head. Meanwhile ........:love:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:58 am

Postby Lycaea » 31 Aug 2013, 19:55

:shock: :claphappy:

I’ve missed this one too, for months, but I’m not as surprised as SA since I’m not around every day. I’m happy to say I can’t see myself anywhere, though. Really happy :!: Don’t know if my working reputation would survive it.

It’s called a key novel, in Swedish, by the way. I don’t know the English term but I’m confident that someone will tell me ;)

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:59 am

Postby Fairblue » 31 Aug 2013, 20:27

Lycaea wrote:
:shock: :claphappy: I’ve missed this one too, for months, but I’m not as surprised as SA since I’m not around every day. I’m happy to say I can’t see myself anywhere, though.
You could be lurking in the background, Lycaea. We have a saying; The quietest are the worst :lol:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:00 am

Postby SopwithCamel » 01 Sep 2013, 06:42

Well, no one had better touch Algy. Quiet people or no quiet people.
Don't think I'm either of them. I'd be in a dead faint on the floor if I saw Bertie face to face...

Maybe he'd catch you?

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 am

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 01 Sep 2013, 07:47
Fairblue wrote:
Lycaea wrote:
:shock: :claphappy: I’ve missed this one too, for months, but I’m not as surprised as SA since I’m not around every day. I’m happy to say I can’t see myself anywhere, though.

You could be lurking in the background, Lycaea. We have a saying; The quietest are the worst :lol:
:twisted: :twisted: <evil laughter from writer....>

SopwithCamel wrote:
Well, no one had better touch Algy. Quiet people or no quiet people.
Would anyone dare, Soppy...hmmmm, maybe they would :twisted: :lol:

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:02 am

Postby Lord Bertie » 01 Sep 2013, 09:38
SopwithCamel wrote:
Don't think I'm either of them. I'd be in a dead faint on the floor if I saw Bertie face to face...
Maybe he'd catch you?
Er nope. That definitely hadn't occurred to me. :shifty: No siree.
:love: :love:
Fairblue wrote:

:twisted: <evil laughter from writer....>
:lol: :lol:

Return to “Works in Progress”