Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Biggles Loses His Man

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

by Kismet » 06 Mar 2015, 00:40

Biggles went round to the other side of the wall and swung the tyre iron against the poster. It made a heavy sound as it bounced off, partially covered by Biggles's yelp of pain.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2015, 00:46

"We need a bally sledgehammer," was Bertie's contribution when Biggles managed to talk coherently.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2015, 01:07

Biggles sent Bertie to buy a sledgehammer, a hammer, a cold chisel and anything else he thought might be handy.
In the meantime he checked the other walls of the old farmhouse, and assured himself that they were of the well remembered horsehair plaster and lath construction that he remembered.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2015, 01:13

Followed by Algy he walked through to the room which used to house his own office and looked to where the old safe was. The door was open and appeared to be as he left it. He removed O'Reilly's key from his pocket, looked at it and watched by Algy, inserted it into the lock.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2015, 15:27

Nothing happened.

Biggles wiggled the key and gave it that special little twist of his wrist. Nothing happened.

Examining the safe more closely, Biggles saw scratches around the lock. He wondered if it was possible to remove the insides of the lock and replace the lock plate, and if it was, where the lock might now be.

'Is Bertie back yet?' he asked.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2015, 16:24

Bertie arrived half-an-hour later. He'd had to go some way to get a sledgehammer. Biggles picked it up and nearly dropped it on Algy's toes. With one accord, Algy, Bertie and Ginger stepped back.
Biggles had wanted to swing the hammer in the traditional fairground manner, up in the air, above his right shoulder and bring it down with all his strength, but he was going to hit a vertical wall, not something on the ground. So he altered his swing, bringing the head rather awkwardly against the wall where it barely made a dent and slipped through his fingers.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2015, 16:37

They all had a go, It was harder than it looked. Bertie made facetious remarks about hitting dinner gongs.

'You haven't anything that might go bang in your pockets, have you?' Biggles asked Bertie, eyeing his slim figure hopefully.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2015, 16:46

Bertie hadn't. Algy suggested trying to demolish the cupboard. Maybe that would collapse at least under some of the onslaught.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2015, 16:55

They trooped round to the other side of the wall again and tried to demolish the cupboard. Although this, too, was obviously at shoulder height, it jutted out a little and Biggles thought he might manage to bring the hammer down onto it.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:03 pm

by elderlyfemalerelativ » 06 Mar 2015, 17:08

The slegdehammer struck the wood with a surprisingly metalic sound, the head flew off, rebounded against the wall and clipped Algy round the ear.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:03 pm

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2015, 17:13

There was a short pause in the onslaught whilst Biggles tried to clean and bandage Algy's ear with his handkerchief, and Algy insisted it was just a scratch and he didn't want a handkerchief tied round his head, with or without bunny ears.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 pm

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2015, 18:13

"This," said Biggles, stating the obvious, "Isn't made of wood. Right, what we need is an oxy acetylene torch."

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2015, 18:43

Bertie patted his pockets, but upon Biggles glaring, went to find a spot with a phone signal and contacted the Yard to arrange for a welder to come down.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 06 Mar 2015, 19:49

Upon learning that this would take a few hours, Biggles & Co. decided to repair to the nearest pub, to await the welder from the Yard in relative comfort, where they were at least fairly confident that the roof wasn't at risk of imminent collapse.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 06 Mar 2015, 21:23

It was either the second pint or the scotch eggs that inspired Algy to say

'If the lock mechanism has been re-homed, then it will need a key and the key will have to have a keyhole. Have we checked the poster and the cupboard for keyholes?'

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Postby Fairblue » 06 Mar 2015, 23:59

No one had. Biggles was a little cross at not having thought of it himself, "Drink up," he ordered. "We should have enough time to have a gander before that welder arrives."

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Postby Kismet » 07 Mar 2015, 00:52

A careful examination of both sides of the wall revealed no obvious keyhole. There was, however, a small slit that could be felt with the fingers on the cupboard side. More in hope than expectation, Biggles slid the key into the slit, jiggled it awkwardly, made the funny little wrist twist, and to everyone's amazement, the whole cupboard swung forward to reveal a cavity.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:09 pm

by Fairblue » 07 Mar 2015, 01:04

The sound of a vehicle pulling up took Biggles to the window. "That's the welder," he remarked. "Go and get rid of him, Algy, we don't want him seeing this".

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:09 pm

by Kismet » 07 Mar 2015, 01:15

Algy promised the welder double time plus call out fee and sent him to the pub , on the clock, in case he was needed later. There was a temporary Health and Safety issue that needed to be resolved first, he explained.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Postby Fairblue » 07 Mar 2015, 01:30

The cavity was about the length of two bricks, by one brick high and a foot deep. Very cautiously Biggles put his hand in. He withdrew first of all a thick envelope, which he handed to Algy, then a thinner envelope, followed by two wads of £5 notes. Biggles ferreted about some more and his fingers closed on something cold and metallic.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:11 pm

Postby Kismet » 08 Mar 2015, 02:57

Biggles carefully withdrew a gun, then explored the cavity further. Everyone jumped when, swearing sulphurously, Biggles withdrew his fingers in a mousetrap.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:11 pm

Postby Fairblue » 08 Mar 2015, 11:13

After establishing that there was nothing further in the cavity Biggles looked at the hoard and then at his bruised fingers. "Put the cupboard back, chaps. I don't think there's much point in staying any longer. We'll send the Welder chappie on his way and look at these back at the Yard."

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Postby Kismet » 09 Mar 2015, 13:47

Back at the Yard, Biggles consulted Gaskin. The fivers were fivers and their serial numbers weren't on any watch list.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 09 Mar 2015, 13:49

Biggles tipped out the contents of the thick envelope onto his desk. He and Gaskin stared at a dozen blank passports.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 10 Mar 2015, 00:54

'Shame they're not filled in a bit,' grunted Gaskin. 'That could have given us some very interesting information.'

Return to “Old RPGs”