Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Biggles Loses His Man

Post by Fairblue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Postby Fairblue » 19 Feb 2015, 10:51

The passers-by minding their own business in the vicinity of Scotland Yard were rather startled when out of the gates of that illustrious establishment a man came at breakneck speed. He cannoned into two pedestrians but went on. Spying a cyclist passing by he grabbed the man off his bike, mounted it and rode off just as another man exited the same gates. The second man was younger than the first and had a crop of bright red hair. Seeing his quarry cycle off at speed, he raised his arms in a futile gesture and turned to the slim older man who came up behind him.

"Sorry, Biggles, but he pinched a bike. He could be anywhere now."

OK, make of this what you will.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Re: Biggles Loses His Man

Post by Fairblue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Postby Kismet » 19 Feb 2015, 11:45

'Not in London traffic. You'll be faster on foot. After him!
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Postby Fairblue » 19 Feb 2015, 11:48

"But - but -" Ginger's protests went unheeded as he was cermoniously bustled up the street. Biggles, a frown on his face, returned to the office where Bertie and Algy were waiting.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 19 Feb 2015, 12:11

"Make a cup of tea, Gin.... er... Bertie," Biggles commanded.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 19 Feb 2015, 12:21

"Raymond's not going to be too pleased we've let the blighter slip through our fingers," Bertie replied as he rang the canteen and ordered tea.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 19 Feb 2015, 12:26

"He hasn't. Yet. We'll see what Ginger has to say when he reappears."

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 19 Feb 2015, 12:30

Ginger re-appeared to explain he'd been caught by the lights at the Pedestrian crossing at Knightsbridge and the cyclist had last been seen by him heading towards the Park.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:03 pm

Postby Fairblue » 19 Feb 2015, 12:36

"You're a police officer," Biggles explained patiently. "You're not likely to get nicked for jaywalking. Right," he sighed. "Algy. Go and see Gaskin, see if he knows where Poodles Ponsonby hangs out. We've got to get that list from him or we''ll all be doing traffic control at Piccadilly Circus."

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 19 Feb 2015, 13:19

Poodles Ponsonby proved to hang out at an establishment called the Black Dog, his nickname being directly connected with the pub in that he could frequently be found inside said establishment under a portrait of a gloomy looking dog which someone in the far distant past had christened a poodle.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

by Fairblue » 19 Feb 2015, 13:31

It wasn't much to go on, but Algy went inside, not really expecting to see his quarry. If Biggles had indeed lost him, then he had a hard job on his hands, finding him again. Poodles, Gaskin said, whose normal line was in fencing stolen goods, knew nearly every inch of London, every sewer and sewer rat. Algy looked at the gloomy dog. He failed to see a ferret-faced man looking at him.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Postby Kismet » 19 Feb 2015, 15:58

There was, however, a bored looking woman. 'Hello, ducks,' she said, winking.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 19 Feb 2015, 19:10

Algy fled. Biggles had lost Poodles, Biggles could find him again. This time though, Algy was aware he was being followed. He rounded a corner and waited.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 20 Feb 2015, 11:47

It was one of Gaskin's men.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

by kylie_koyote » 20 Feb 2015, 12:06

They looked at one another in surprise and chagrin.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 20 Feb 2015, 14:49

Then retired to the nearest cafe to compare notes.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 20 Feb 2015, 15:54

"A bit embarrassing for your guv, isn't it?" Gaskin's man told Algy. "Considering yesterday's headlines?" He picked up a discarded newspaper. The headlines read "Biggles Gets his Man" above a lengthy article on how Air Detective Inspector Bigglesworth caught his man in an air chase half-way across Europe which ended when the crook's plane came down over Dartmoor not far from the prison.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 20 Feb 2015, 15:58

"This story's not over yet," Algy replied calmly.

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:05 pm

Postby Fairblue » 20 Feb 2015, 16:08

"You lot never give up, do you?" Algy's companion said. "Poodles is as slippery as an eel. What is it he's got that you're after?"

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 20 Feb 2015, 23:04

Algy had a curious expression on his face.

'He's er taken a list that belongs to us that's rather important and we really need to get back.

Gaskin's man raised his eyebrows.

'Poodles has stolen a Top Secret list from your department?'

'Sort of,' replied Algy. 'What he's actually stolen was taken from our flat and it's Biggles's Christmas Card List.'

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 20 Feb 2015, 23:27

Gaskin's man spluttered, spraying tea over Algy. He stared at Algy. "You are joking, of course?"

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 20 Feb 2015, 23:57

Algy shrugged. 'Think about who's on it. Names, addresses, many ex-directory for obvious reasons. It would be very valuable to certain people, and create a real security headache if they got their hands on it.'

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 21 Feb 2015, 01:41

"I bet the Prime Minister's worried then," Gaskin's man said sarcastically. "And half of Royalty."

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Postby Kismet » 21 Feb 2015, 01:50

Algy shrugged a shoulder again. 'Several Heads of State across a couple of continents, senior figures in just about every airforce, various people who have moved from states with political beliefs different from our own and are on repatriation lists.........'

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 21 Feb 2015, 02:28

...not to mention at least two Princesses and a Duke."

Fairblue
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Postby Kismet » 22 Feb 2015, 23:51

Algy and Gaskin's man returned to their offices at Scotland Yard.

'Did you find him?' demanded Biggles.

'No, but one of Gaskin's men was there and wanted to know what had been taken.'

'I hope you didn't tell him,' said Biggles, severely.

'No, I told him that your Christmas Card list had been stolen,' replied Algy apologetically. 'Sorry. It was all I could think of on the spur of the moment.'

Return to “Old RPGs”