Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Biggles and the Haunted Mirror

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Kismet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Biggles was working on a routine report for Raymond, when his phone buzzed and the desk sergeant informed him that he had a visitor.

'Send him up,' Biggles requested cheerfully, and sent Ginger to get fresh tea.

A man with a prematurely aged face walked into the office and shook Biggles's hand.

'I don't know if you remember me?' he asked. 'I was a flight lieutenant in Squadron Leader Wilkinson's crowd for a while - Johnny Carstairs. I've got a problem and I couldn't think who else I could bring it to without running the risk of being locked up in a secure unit. I've inherited a haunted mirror and it's going to be the death of me!'
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Re: Biggles and the Haunted Mirror

Post by Kismet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:59 pm

kylie_koyote » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Ginger laughed.

"It's no laughing matter," Johnny assured him seriously.

"Take a seat," Biggles told him, putting down the file he'd been looking at and paying full attention to his guest. "What about it in particular is bothering you?"
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Kismet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:02 pm

'What in particular bothers me, is that it shows me things that aren't there,' Johnny retorted. 'I see things in the mirror and when I turn around, there's nothing in the room that could have cast such a reflection. I'm losing my nerve with it.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 pm

"A trick of the light," Biggles asserted heartily.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:44 pm

'It happens at all times of the day in different lighting conditions and it continued when I moved the mirror to a different wall, twice,' Johnny pointed out. 'Do you think a trick of the light would worry me?'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:01 pm

Fairblue » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 pm

"No," admitted Biggles, "it wouldn't. How long has this been going on? Is it an old mirror that has just started playing tricks, or a new mirror?"

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

y Kismet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:11 pm

'It's an old mirror. It belonged to my great aunt and I think it is much older than that. Its silvering is a little strange so it gives a slightly distorted reflection which actually is rather nice and it has a very heavy, ornate frame. It's an interesting piece,' Johnny said, 'and I'd really like you to come down and look at it.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:17 pm

Biggles hesitated. He wanted to help but he had quite a bit of a workload. Still, he was a comrade in arms who had asked for help and Biggles wasn't one for standing by and doing nothing.

"Where do you live?"

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:32 pm

Near Oxford, was the answer, and relieved that it wasn't far, Biggles agreed to go round after he had finished work on Friday and stay the night so he could examine the mirror at different times of the day. Bertie decided to go with him.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:38 pm

"Dreaming Spires and all that, what?" He enthused.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:45 pm

'Alice in Wonderland,' retorted Biggles. 'Johnnie's gone down a rabbit hole.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:02 pm

Fairblue » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:57 pm

"You don't think there's anything in it, then?" Algy asked.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:03 pm

Kismet » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:00 am

Biggles looked at him. 'Since when have I believed in spooks,' he scoffed. 'The credulous can believe in strange goings on but I've never seen anything that hasn't had a rational explanation , and neither have you.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:03 pm

Fairblue » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:03 am

Algy thought very hard, but couldn't come up with anything. "Exactly," Biggles said sarcastically.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Kismet » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:05 am

'That doesn't mean it doesn't exist,' argued Algy, grinning, 'only that you haven't come across it yet.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:07 am

"There's a rational explanation for everything," Biggles old him sternly.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:29 am

'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy,' Algy suggested.

Biggles threw a cushion at him.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:05 pm

kylie_koyote » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:15 am

Ginger, rather relieved that he wasn't going to look at a spooky old mirror, wondered aloud what type of haunted mirror it might be.

"Maybe it shows vampires and ghosts," he mused. "Or maybe it's like that mirror in Harry Potter, that shows you your heart's deepest desires."

"If that's the case, it'll show me a nice plate of chicken curry," Biggles said. "Come on, I'm starving."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:21 am

It was one of those unusual weeks where a heavy work load dissolved itself into much less. On Friday afternoon, it was with a feeling of satisfaction that Biggles straightened the few remaining papers on his desk, popped his pen into his pocket and picked up his overnight case.

'Hi ho for the wilds of Oxfordshire,' he grinned. 'Let's go and see what this mysterious mirror is like.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:20 pm

They went in Bertie's jag, Biggles' Bentley having decided to adopt a policy of non-cooperation by refusing to start. Leaving it to Ginger and Algy to sort out, they sallied forth, both with their own ideas of what the mysterious mirror would be like.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:35 pm

Johnny lived in a small old cottage in a village near Oxford. It had roses and wisteria climbing round the door and a long back garden full of traditional cottage garden plants.

'Very nice, 'Biggles said appreciatively.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Fairblue » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:03 pm

"I'll show you where you're sleeping and then you can come down and have a look st the mirror," Johnny told them, leading them up a set of narrow stairs that creaked and groaned.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:17 pm

It was a very quaint cottage with beams, and small, leaded windows. There were some rather amateur watercolours on the wall and some mismatched dark wood furniture.

'Doesn't look the sort of place to have a haunted mirror, does it?' Biggles grinned, looking around. 'I would have thought a palace a better place for it, complete with an evil step mother.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:24 pm

"One of my ancestors had an evil stepmother," Bertie began inconsequentially, "she jolly well got her just deserts. Poisoned. With mushrooms. Her portrait still hangs in the gallery. Staff won't go near it. Reckon it's cursed. I have to bally well get an outside firm to clean it."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Biggles gave him a look that said as plainly as if he had spoken what he thought of that statement.

Return to “Old RPGs”