Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
My top chap: Ginger
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Fails to Return
Quote: Aim high.

Currently Reading, Not Biggles

Post by kylie_koyote » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:29 pm

I am currently reading "Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck, a true story of two teenage brothers who restore and fly an old Piper Cub from New Jersey to California.

Here's something I did not know before reading it. The 'dope' that is mentioned often in Biggles books, the stuff that is sprayed or painted onto the fabric to make it stiff and waterproof, really was dope, like in the drug sense. You could get high off it. When the boys (and their sister Macky) would work on their plane, they would intentionally spray themselves with butyrate. Cut with thinner, it "thinned dope aspirates into the air in finer particles that go down more easily into the lungs".

Hm. :think2: :think2:

I wonder how often Smyth was exposed to this, along with the rest of them, of course, and what the long-term effects on one's brain would be?
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."

StoneRoad
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
My top chap: private
Favorite Aircraft: Spruce Goose
Favourite Book: can't choose just one
Quote: Forewarned is forearmed

Re: Currently Reading, Not Biggles

Post by StoneRoad » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 pm

One thing about "dope" I know is that cattle find it almost irresistibly sweet.

A friend used to fly a canvas glider, and one day another of the owning syndicate landed out in a field. He went from what was a field empty of livestock to fins a phone to call in their support crew. When they all got back to the aircraft, it was surrounded by some very curious cows, who had just discovered that the wings were sweet when licked. Luckily they had not been away too long and no real damage was caused. They did clean and re-dope the wings and the tail, mainly as a precaution.
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

StoneRoad
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
My top chap: private
Favorite Aircraft: Spruce Goose
Favourite Book: can't choose just one
Quote: Forewarned is forearmed

Post by StoneRoad » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 pm

Oh, and my current non-Biggles reading is the Aubrey-Maturin cycle. Listening to part of the Radio4 adaptation set me off again.

Specifically, The Wine Dark Sea. (the description sounds like the after affects of a volcanic eruption).
I had read most of the preceding book "Clarissa Oakes" whilst sitting with my father, holding his hand. (and he died that night at about 0300.)
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Post by Kismet » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 pm

StoneRoad wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 pm
One thing about "dope" I know is that cattle find it almost irresistibly sweet.

A friend used to fly a canvas glider, and one day another of the owning syndicate landed out in a field. He went from what was a field empty of livestock to fins a phone to call in their support crew. When they all got back to the aircraft, it was surrounded by some very curious cows, who had just discovered that the wings were sweet when licked. Luckily they had not been away too long and no real damage was caused. They did clean and re-dope the wings and the tail, mainly as a precaution.

This is very interesting. I'm sure WEJ mentions cows liking the taste of dope and licking it from an aircraft somewhere, too.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by kylie_koyote » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:08 pm

Yes Biggles says something about cows licking the wings and putting a foot (hoof?) through one once.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie

Post by Fairblue » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:18 pm

I've smelt the real thing.e When we were building a BE2 replica at the museum authentic materials were used. One of the ladies who helped to paint on the stuff became a bit woozy even though present day Health and Safety precautions had been taken. It's a whiff, that once taken in, is never forgotten.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Tracer
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Favorite Aircraft: Vampire and Concorde
Favourite Book: The Last of the Wine by Mary Renault
Quote: The thousand-yard stare

Post by Tracer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 am

I wonder if it was the same stuff my brother used to use on his balsa wood and paper model aircraft back in the '50s? If so, would explain a lot about my brother.....
pilots who had done a long tour and had that thousand-yard stare W. E. Johns

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 am

Tracer wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 am
I wonder if it was the same stuff my brother used to use on his balsa wood and paper model aircraft back in the '50s? If so, would explain a lot about my brother.....
:imao:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Saladin
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
My top chap: Dickpa
Favorite Aircraft: Sopwith Camel
Favourite Book: All Creatures Great and Small

Post by Saladin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:56 pm

For non Biggles , I pretty much always have Sherlock Holmes or James Herriot on the go. I have omnibuses of both and will randomly read a short story when the mood takes me.

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by kylie_koyote » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:57 pm

I love James Herriot. I wanted to be a veterinarian for the longest time.
"That's better."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:38 am

I loved James Herriot, too. The TV programme was also required viewing in our house.

I'm currently subscribed to Kindle Unlimited. It has a growing number of book series I was reading in the eighties and nineties which I'm now able to read in their entirety. The sort of book that you borrow from a library and is readable but not quite good enough to buy a copy of. I'm also reading some new authors. Again, quite readable but not award-winning. Authors who can churn out two or three novels a year like the old pulp writers.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by kylie_koyote » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:55 am

We have "Only One Woof" and I was reading it to Little A. I told him the stone walls around the sheep fields were just like the ones we saw when we were in England last July and he was like "oh yeah! we stopped at the lake {with Archie} and threw stones in the water." :lol:
"That's better."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:01 am

The things they remember! I swear that my kids were changed at twenty one for someone else's as the things they remember from their childhood are not as I remember!

Return to “Other Authors”