My top chap: Ginger
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Fails to Return
Quote: Aim high.

Re: Sweeps the Desert

Post by kylie_koyote » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Postby CaptWilks » 09 Apr 2018, 05:48

Kismet wrote:
That's fascinating, ICS. I did not know that there were camels in India. I associated them with North Africa and the Middle East (and Australia). Thank you for this information.

Camels are a pest species in Australia:

Feral camels are found in over 37% of mainland Australia. In the Northern Territory (NT) feral camels are found in over 40% of the land area. Camels were first introduced into Australia from the Canary Islands in 1840. There are now over one million feral camels in Australia and that population may double in size every nine years.

https://nt.gov.au/environment/animals/f ... eral-camel
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Fairblue » 09 Apr 2018, 09:31

Somehow, I never expected an animal as large as a Camel to be declared a pest species.
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby fredleander » 09 Apr 2018, 10:39

fredleander wrote:
Just received a nice 1st edition of this book - picture below. So, far I am half way through it.

This is one book I have not read in Norwegian and it surprised me from the start with its poetic descriptions of the desert. Considering that it was published in the Fall of 1942 the subject is also interesting, that of the allied air ferry route crossing Africa from Takoradi, Gold Coast to Khartoum and Cairo (Central Africa Route). I wouldn't bet that Dragon Rapides flew this route, as in the book, but nevertheless, cool concept to try to strangle this supply route for the Allies, and with such advanced weapons!

The book was actually published when this ferry route was at its most busy, about the same time as the Battle of El Alamein.

Fred

P.S.: Here is a link: https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJn ... ar_II.html

Finished reading and a cool book it was. Was looking forward to learn exactly how the Germans were deviating the enemy's compasses but Biggles set fire to the radio truck, so... :( ...Several aircraft types to ponder over apart from the well-known fighter types - Whitley, DH Rapide, Lysander, Ju52 and the Defiant. BTW, the Defiant had four machine guns in its rotating turret. At one place in the book it is stated that the THE machine gun was removed. Johns had correctly deduced that four Junkers carried approximately 60 para-troopers.

Only thing I react to is his repeated mention of Jerries carrying a "revolver". In WW2 they had the Luger, the P-38 - both in 9 mm. parabellum calibre - German pilots usually carrried a 7.65 mm. (.32 ACP) Walther pistol. A "revolver" has a revolving cylinder containing the cartridges. A pistol is a pistol, a revolver can also be a pistol but a pistol can never be a "revolver", if you understand what I mean. Same thing as with seaplanes.....floatplane, flying boat, etc..... ;) ...

I have never seen a picture with a WW2 German soldier carrying a revolver. But, I haven't been looking for it. Of course, the British carried a revolver - the Webley. Aah, there you have it, they were taken from some British prisoners.

With this said I can now start looking for a dust-jacket to my book.

Fred
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby kylie_koyote » 09 Apr 2018, 11:22

I'm glad you've finished it! It's quite a good one.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by kylie_koyote » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Postby CaptWilks » 09 Apr 2018, 22:39

Fairblue wrote:
Somehow, I never expected an animal as large as a Camel to be declared a pest species.

Well, some think that, in northern Australia, crocodiles, nearly hunted to extinction, are now a pest species. But, for the camels, it is probably because Australia has no large land predators, like lions or tigers. That's why the common kangaroo can, basically, reach plague numbers when there are a few good years, weather wise.

I wrote "common" because there are smaller species of kangaroo and wallaby, living in restricted habitats, that are endangered. But not the "big red".
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Fairblue » 09 Apr 2018, 23:31

CaptWilks wrote:
That's why the common kangaroo can, basically, reach plague numbers when there are a few good years, weather wise.

When I was in Australia 4 yrs ago, visiting RSG, they had great difficulty finding kangaroos for me to see. I saw some, in a field, from the roadside and that was it. I had had visions of them hopping about almost everywhere. No koalas either. Come to think of it, not a lot of anything. No snakes or spiders. I'm sure they must have been there but I never saw any.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby CaptWilks » 10 Apr 2018, 03:47

Fairblue wrote:
CaptWilks wrote:
That's why the common kangaroo can, basically, reach plague numbers when there are a few good years, weather wise.

When I was in Australia 4 yrs ago, visiting RSG, they had great difficulty finding kangaroos for me to see. I saw some, in a field, from the roadside and that was it. I had had visions of them hopping about almost everywhere. No koalas either. Come to think of it, not a lot of anything. No snakes or spiders. I'm sure they must have been there but I never saw any.

A lot of Australian fauna is nocturnal; even kangaroos are not active during the middle of the day. Snakes and spiders are often sit and wait predators; and some are, again, nocturnal. Koalas have a restricted distribution.

In Darwin, wallabies (which are just small kangaroos) are easily observed at East Point, which I have mentioned in another post for its military history.
https://www.darwin.nt.gov.au/explore/ou ... nt-reserve

That page puts the wallaby population at 200 but it was earlier much higher (a research study put peak numbers at over 2,000 in an area of 185 ha)"
https://espace.cdu.edu.au/eserv/cdu:829 ... rrat_S.pdf

Birds also tend to be most active around dawn and most are roosting by about 10 am here in the tropics. Others will be high in the canopy, where you will hear them but not see them. Darwin, alone, has over 200 species (cannot quickly find an exact number) but many are seasonal. Also, during the wet, they spread out over the flood plain.
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

by RAAF Spitfire Girl » 10 Apr 2018, 07:55

Fairblue wrote:
CaptWilks wrote:

It was very frustrating, wasn't it, FB? Up until a few months prior to FB's visit we still had a family of roos in the park opposite our house and we often saw koalas in the gum trees at the bottom of our street (a designated green belt). However, the encroaching urban sprawl has taken its toll. We had to take our eldest American granddaughter to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary last September to see any of our wildlife. Next time any of you visit me, that will be our port of call :yay: (However, I can assure you there's no shortage of snakes in the nearby bush :lol: :lol: :lol: )
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby CaptWilks » 10 Apr 2018, 23:16

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
However, the encroaching urban sprawl has taken its toll. We had to take our eldest American granddaughter to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary last September to see any of our wildlife. Next time any of you visit me, that will be our port of call :yay: (However, I can assure you there's no shortage of snakes in the nearby bush :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Yep, urban sprawl. But I doubt most people would find "no shortage of snakes" reassuring! :D
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 11 Apr 2018, 04:11

With regard to Biggles sweeping the desert and his encounters with camels, he could do some camel sweeping here. :flyinghat2: Australia has some to spare...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22522695

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_feral_camel
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Tracer » 11 Apr 2018, 08:06

Wasn't there a woman a couple of decades ago who walked across the desert in Oz with 2 camels?
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby RAAF Spitfire Girl » 11 Apr 2018, 12:04

Tracer wrote:
Wasn't there a woman a couple of decades ago who walked across the desert in Oz with 2 camels?

Yes. Robyn Davidson -
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/fil ... -film.html
"That's better."

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Tracer » 11 Apr 2018, 15:26

I was so sad that she had to shoot her dog.
"That's better."

Return to “Individual Biggles books”