Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Re: Around the World with Biggles

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Kismet » 19 Jun 2014, 19:11

I'm going to have to give in and re-read Poor Rich Boy and see where they went. The amount of time I've spent visiting relatives by marriage in Scotland, we must have been to some of the same places.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 19 Jun 2014, 19:12

Kismet wrote:
I'm going to have to give in and re-read Poor Rich Boy and see where they went. The amount of time I've spent visiting relatives by marriage in Scotland, we must have been to some of the same places.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I've been to Aberdeen and Glasgow and the Isle of Skye... and maybe Inverness? I'll have to ask my dad. I remember we drove through someplace with the name "restandbethankful" and I thought that was really funny.

Edited to add:

I have added Loch Ness to the map. I know they were there in "Poor Rich Boy"
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 19 Jun 2014, 19:31

I feel like there's an Air Police short story where Biggles goes to get some important papers from a spy and Ginger is waiting for him at Brindisi, Italy. Can anybody confirm this, or did I dream it?

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Tommy Smith » 19 Jun 2014, 20:16

:-o :wtf: Just flicking through my latest Biggles purchase... and he's just asked a man for directions to the very village I'm living in. :shock:

Don't believe it...

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:51 pm

Kismet » 19 Jun 2014, 20:20

Tommy Smith wrote:
:-o :wtf: Just flicking through my latest Biggles purchase... and he's just asked a man for directions to the very village I'm living in. :shock:

Don't believe it...

Wow. :mexican: :mexican: :mexican: :mexican: :mexican:

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

AusterAutocrat » 19 Jun 2014, 20:27

Double wow. That is so powerful, Kismet.

TS, your life is filled with coincidences at the moment ;) Or perhaps it always has been...?

Our globe is looking good :yay: We'll have to have a snapshot of it in the gallery once it's done!

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 19 Jun 2014, 20:32

Tommy Smith wrote:

Don't believe it...

Ooh, that's awesome!!

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Tommy Smith » 19 Jun 2014, 20:52

I know... got to put the hoover round...and tidy.

Biscuits...ginger nuts?

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » 19 Jun 2014, 21:00

Tommy Smith wrote:

Biscuits...ginger nuts?

I bet he is so fed up of that joke.

I can add Tomintoul to my list of places, but I'll probably wait until I've skipped through Poor Rich Boy to see if there are any others. I'm struggling to remember where we've stayed, where we've stopped and where was just the next sign to look for when driving.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:52 pm

kylie_koyote » 19 Jun 2014, 21:02

Oooh... If Biggles Came to My House...

I'd have to bake him an airplane cake like this one:

I think he'd either be impressed or horrified that I have a vintage airplane theme in my baby nursery, a Lego Sopwith Camel, and a biplane light switch plate cover.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 19 Jun 2014, 21:03

Tommy Smith wrote:

Biscuits...ginger nuts?

Do you guys have gingersnap cookies? Every time I read "Ginger snapped" in a Biggles book, I get hungry.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

AusterAutocrat » 19 Jun 2014, 21:17

Gingersnap cookies? Seriously never heard of them!! That's ridiculously funny, KK.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » 19 Jun 2014, 21:53

AusterAutocrat wrote:
Gingersnap cookies? Seriously never heard of them!! That's ridiculously funny, KK.

Same as our Ginger Nuts I believe.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » 19 Jun 2014, 22:03

Kismet wrote:

Unbelievably I've been up the road to the left (Skye) and the road to the right but not the road to Inverness! I can only mark Tomintoul off, which still has a Richmond Hotel.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Sizzling Sausages » 19 Jun 2014, 22:47

J349 wrote:
Ok, i've taken a couple of screenshots, with instructions on how to use the system.

:idea: FYI: A green marker indicates a location where both Biggles and at least one forum member has been. Red marker merely indicates a place where only Biggles & co. would dare venture, and no forum members have been there.

:arrow: For Editing (e.g. just adding your name to one of the locations):
http://imgur.com/a/VN5Zj

:arrow: For Adding new markers (i.e. on a location not previously listed, or not marked by a green icon):
http://imgur.com/a/cCVDd

Hope this helps.

Also, how approximate are we making the markers?

Edit: also this was my 100th post! :) i'm now a pilot officer :pilot2:

Thanks J349 and congrats on your promotion. But I'm afraid I must be thick. How do you go from step one to step two? I can find no way to bring up the sub-menu that appears in your second screen shot under 'Places that Bigles and forum.net...'
Maybe I need a good lie down.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » 19 Jun 2014, 23:20

Click on the Biggles and the Forum bit. Click on the data button in the middle. Click on the balloon marker button (in a different place).You may have to close the table that appears or move it to see this. Click where you want the marker to go. Name the place (replacing the bold type already there). Name the book and yourself underneath in smaller type. Press Save.

As you can see I have spent my evening wisely with the quiz being cancelled because of the football. I have been all over the England and Scotland. I have, at times, been within a few miles of Biggles. But have I actually been to the same places? No. I'm not going to bed until I've found somewhere.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » 20 Jun 2014, 00:15

I've marked up some places mentioned in the short stories so it's easy to see if you've been there (England and Scotland) and you can change them to the green marker /list if you have, but I'm going to bed frustrated as I haven't found any more places Biggles and I have been. I'm especially frustrated seeing as how he asked directions to where TS lives ......

Some places aren't coming up on the map: they're either invented or their names have been slightly changed. Other places are described in quite general terms: ten miles from X, or on Dartmoor or one of the Western Isles so I've not bothered putting a best guess in, although other people are welcome to.

Stomping up to bed now.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:54 pm

kylie_koyote » 20 Jun 2014, 00:16

I am so pleased that I didn't imagine Ginger waiting in Brindisi! "Case of the Wounded Agent" in Air Detective. Off to update map.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

RAAF Spitfire Girl » 20 Jun 2014, 02:31

Love the map!!! Thank you - and thanks for all the instructions. I was beginning to feel very much a Luddite, too, SS. I'll have another go with more confidence asap.

Having caught up on all these posts, I'm about to go back and edit my original post - because I can safely add
Aberdeen
Glasgow
Isle of Skye
Newcastle
Gatwick Airport
Loch Ness

And when I'm home again I'm going to check some of my travel journals to see where else we might have crossed paths.
This is fun :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

tiffinata » 20 Jun 2014, 03:07

I whacked Tonbridge on based on the short story in 'Biggles Takes the Case'
And I've been to Berlin! :banana101:

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » 20 Jun 2014, 06:36

RAAF Spitfire Girl wrote:
Love the map!!! Thank you - and thanks for all the instructions. I was beginning to feel very much a Luddite, too, SS. I'll have another go with more confidence asap.

Having caught up on all these posts, I'm about to go back and edit my original post - because I can safely add
Aberdeen
Glasgow
Isle of Skye
Newcastle
Gatwick Airport
Loch Ness

And when I'm home again I'm going to check some of my travel journals to see where else we might have crossed paths.
This is fun :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

I can add those too, RSG, but why on earth I didn't think of them myself I have no idea! ;)

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » 20 Jun 2014, 06:43

I am wondering, ES, if the link to the map could be put in the Links topic, which is at the bottom of the Board Index for easy reference? I know some members wil have it bookmarked but new members who join may not even know of it's existence and it would be easier than scrolling through this topic.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Inactive User 171 » 20 Jun 2014, 08:04

I am going dizzy just reading this :roll: I think Biggles went to more place at home and abroad in the short story books than in all the rest put together. I have not read this story where Ginger was waiting for him but good lad Ginger for being there and not getting lost ;)

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Tommy Smith » 20 Jun 2014, 12:00

Kismet wrote:
Tommy Smith wrote:

Biscuits...ginger nuts?

I bet he is so fed up of that joke.

I genuinely like Ginger Nuts and so do the horses but don't really do biscuits.
He's got Algy, Bertie and Ginger with him I've just read the next page...

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:55 pm

kylie_koyote » 20 Jun 2014, 14:45

Tommy Smith wrote:
He's got Algy, Bertie and Ginger with him I've just read the next page...

Wow, time to air out the sleeper sofa.

Return to “Links”