Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Re: Around the World with Biggles

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Simon Templar » 21 Jun 2014, 08:48

i'm in Belfast today for an open day...did biggles ever visit belfast? Can't remember him doing so
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

El Shereef » 21 Jun 2014, 15:49

Fairblue, that is a great idea to make the map a more permanent link. Thing is, I am not sure how to do it. Any suggestions?
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » 21 Jun 2014, 21:19

El Shereef wrote:
Fairblue, that is a great idea to make the map a more permanent link. Thing is, I am not sure how to do it. Any suggestions?

That's easy, ES. Just go into the Links forum which is at the bottom of the Board Index . Open a New Topic and call it whatever you choose. Paste the link into the text field and submit. That's it. It puts the link in a place where people will know where to look for it.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

von Zoyton » 22 Jun 2014, 09:07

One of the short stories they followed a car from the air along the Brandon road from Thetford where I live. This was clearly before they planted forestry commission trees on it, as WEJ would remember it when he was in Thetford.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

tiffinata » 22 Jun 2014, 09:13

I remember reading this the other day and thinking 'Who have I read on the forum lives there?"

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:56 pm

SaintedAunt » 23 Jun 2014, 22:00

Have I missed something or are all of you just putting pins on a world map? If this is so, I suggest you also add a UK map because the scale of the world map is useless for all the places in the UK.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » 23 Jun 2014, 22:06

You can zoom in on areas so everything can be clearly distinguished. Each country can be viewed in minute detail.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

SaintedAunt » 23 Jun 2014, 23:31

Can you - I didn't realise that - I must try it and see :D

Yes - perfect. Should have realised that as it is google maps. Thanks.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 23 Jun 2014, 23:52

I went through "flies again" today and added a bunch of places, but I'll be the first to admit I probably didn't find all of them.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » 23 Jun 2014, 23:53

SaintedAunt wrote:
Can you - I didn't realise that - I must try it and see :D

Yes - perfect. Should have realised that as it is google maps. Thanks.

I only found out by accident: I was playing with the wheel on my mouse and everything went large and small and large again...

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

SaintedAunt » 24 Jun 2014, 00:09

I can get the map and a list of red pins but I can't find any way to make it work so that I can put in a red pin. Is it because I am using Safari on an iMac? Does it only work on Windows? My screen doesn't have all the things on it that the help screen seems to have - I have no search box and no key below the search box. That means I can't do anything :cryblue:

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:57 pm

Kismet » 24 Jun 2014, 00:19

I'm afraid I can't help there. I get a different view on the tablet and PC, so I'm just contributing on the PC to this thread as I'm too lazy to work out both versions.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 24 Jun 2014, 01:47

SaintedAunt wrote:
I can get the map and a list of red pins but I can't find any way to make it work so that I can put in a red pin. Is it because I am using Safari on an iMac? Does it only work on Windows? My screen doesn't have all the things on it that the help screen seems to have - I have no search box and no key below the search box. That means I can't do anything :cryblue:

If you send me your list, I'd be happy to put them on the map.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Tommy Smith » 24 Jun 2014, 05:13

SaintedAunt wrote:

Hello, I had what you see and had to sign in, top right, to Google, to make the additional menus appear. Then you can type in a location in the search box, place a pin, overwrite 'Point xx' with the name, and put the book it is from in the box below.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

SaintedAunt » 24 Jun 2014, 07:48

Thanks TS, I didn't realise I had to sign up for something. I generally avoid signing up to any of these internet things on principle - apart from those I choose.

I understand how to do it, so when I have time I will go back to it - but rather a lot of other commitments at the moment!

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 24 Jun 2014, 15:43

I added Mount Street and Scotland Yard. I don't know how detailed we want to be. I can delete them if you think "London" is sufficient.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » 24 Jun 2014, 17:00

I think Mount Street and Scotland Yard are special and it's nice to add them. I don't think we should necessarily go down to the address in other cases. It might be overkill. What do other people think?

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:58 pm

Fairblue » 24 Jun 2014, 17:40

Kismet wrote:
I think Mount Street and Scotland Yard are special and it's nice to add them. I don't think we should necessarily go down to the address in other cases. It might be overkill. What do other people think?

I agree, Kismet. Unless, of course, one happens to find Merioneth Towers, Chedcombe Manor or Smettleworth. :lol:

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 24 Jun 2014, 17:45

When I was 16, I went to London for the first time with my parents. We did a tour thingie in an open-top bus. When we got to Mount Street I was literally squirming in delight - nobody else on our bus understood. :

:sigh2:

Anyway I was pleased as punch.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » 27 Jun 2014, 09:39

The link for this map, together with the instructions J349 made have now been put in the links section. It has been made 'sticky' too, which means it will stay at the top and be easier to find.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » 05 Jul 2014, 18:54

Having given in and checked my memory of where I've been in Scotland with my ex- husband, I can now tick off Inverness. Hurray!

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:59 pm

266 » 14 Sep 2014, 09:40

266 wrote:
I can offer Saigon, whence the lads rescued Marcel on one occasion. I can safely say the airport bears no resemblance to that in the story. Shows what can happen in 50 years or so. Disappointing really. And no, I've found no record of them visiting NZ. Perhaps I should write that book. Can't imagine it being a best-seller, at least beyond this forum.

And after further adventures, I can now claim Singapore (Air Commodore), and Hong Kong (Hatchet). I'm pretty sure these places are also most unlike their appearance when B and Co. passed through.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Frecks » 14 Sep 2014, 09:49

I think Saudi Arabia would run them a close second for change since Forms A Syndicate.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » 14 Sep 2014, 09:56

266 wrote:
266 wrote:
I can offer Saigon, whence the lads rescued Marcel on one occasion. I can safely say the airport bears no resemblance to that in the story. Shows what can happen in 50 years or so. Disappointing really. And no, I've found no record of them visiting NZ. Perhaps I should write that book. Can't imagine it being a best-seller, at least beyond this forum.

And after further adventures, I can now claim Singapore (Air Commodore), and Hong Kong (Hatchet). I'm pretty sure these places are also most unlike their appearance when B and Co. passed through.

Definitely, 266. I, too, can now claim Singapore. I would have loved to have seen it before it developed into what it is today. The area surrounding Raffles would have been different, I believe and there certainly weren't the big high-rise buildings of today. Progress, but in some ways, not for the better, in my humble opinion. :sigh4:

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

SaintedAunt » 14 Sep 2014, 12:14

Fairblue wrote:
266 wrote:

Definitely, 266. I, too, can now claim Singapore. I would have loved to have seen it before it developed into what it is today. The area surrounding Raffles would have been different...

I can claim Singapore too - and, aged about nine (which tells you how long ago it was!), I stayed one night at the Raffles hotel :)

Return to “Links”