Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Around the World with Biggles

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:23 pm

El Shereef » 16 Jun 2014, 12:45

Between us all, have we visited all the places Biggles went to, ideally the exact locations? I 'd love to hear about all the places in the UK as well as the more exotic ones.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Re: Around the World with Biggles

Inactive User 171 » 16 Jun 2014, 12:46

What a good idea to include the UK.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Kismet » 16 Jun 2014, 12:50

I don't think my travels and Biggles's have coincided at all except for Paris, and I rather suspect we went to different places there, too.

He might have visited Cumberland / Westmorland / Lancashire once in one of the short stories, but generally he was on the opposite coast to me, further South or further North in Scotland.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

OzBiggles1963 » 16 Jun 2014, 13:09

Biggles in Australia anyone! Apart from that...nope. [Hmm, was Biggles & Co. ever in New Zealand?] :D :) ;)

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:24 pm

El Shereef » 16 Jun 2014, 13:20

But Jenny, for those of us who have never been to the UK, that IS exotic! I am dying to hear about Bodrum Moor, London in Biggles in the Underworld,, Norfolk in Biggles and the Black Peril....One day, I will get there and make a pilgrimage, but until then, I want to know what those places are like, preferably with pictures!

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

elderlyfemalerelativ » 16 Jun 2014, 14:11

Norfolk I can do, having visited what feels like every single tiny village on a search for my husband's ancestors - these had a weakness for minute hamlets with huge medieval churches. Salle has a population of 60, for instance. Norfolk is quite flat, but pretty with wide skies and beaches. The best churches in England as it used to be wealthy. Quite quiet with some lovely village names, "Snorham-in-ruins" being one of my favourites. Along with "Little Snoring" and "Great Snoring", "Dumpling Green", "Bustard's Green" and "Puddledock". Mind you, Hertfordshire has "Ugly" and "Nasty", and Somerset "Queen Camel" and "Curry Mallet"

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 16 Jun 2014, 15:03

I used to live in Stavanger, Norway, which Biggles visits rather dramatically in "Defies the Swastika" - there's a whole chapter called "What Happened at Stavanger".

I will have to see if I can turn up some worthy photos. It's quite chilly in April. I don't envy them their dips in the fjords at all.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Spitfire666 » 16 Jun 2014, 20:39

elderlyfemalerelativ wrote:
Quite quiet with some lovely village names, "Snorham-in-ruins" being one of my favourites. Along with "Little Snoring" and "Great Snoring", "Dumpling Green", "Bustard's Green" and "Puddledock". Mind you, Hertfordshire has "Ugly" and "Nasty", and Somerset "Queen Camel" and "Curry Mallet"

Amazing :lol: Now I want to visit all these places myself just to see if they exist :!:

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:25 pm

y elderlyfemalerelativ » 16 Jun 2014, 21:22

They exist, all right (well, just about). So do "Ryme "Intreseca" and, while they at it, "Ryme extraseca". "Toller Porcorum" isn't far away, along with Whitchurch Canonicorum - which I visited just for the sake of the name- apparently there, some time ago, a local lady was accused of unsuitable conduct. Her brother was so enraged that he cut off her head just outside the church. Nothing daunted, she picked up her head and carried into the church and put it on the altar.
"Wetwang", "Barton in the Beans", "Piddletrenthyde", "Poxwell" (which the locals pronounce Pokeswell, just to gentrify it. and "Broadwoodwidger" also come to mind

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

CaptWilks » 16 Jun 2014, 23:35

Well, I can contribute Broome and Darwin (Biggles in Australia) and Panama (Biggles Flies Again, I think).

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 17 Jun 2014, 00:50

This was me in 1996 somewhere on the western side of Norway, near Stavanger, at the site of a WW2 battle between British paratroops and Nazis. The whole time I kept saying "maybe Biggles was here!"

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

tiffinata » 17 Jun 2014, 01:18

Lovely scenery. I guess there was nowhere much for Biggles to hide

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

266 » 17 Jun 2014, 07:02

I can offer Saigon, whence the lads rescued Marcel on one occasion. I can safely say the airport bears no resemblance to that in the story. Shows what can happen in 50 years or so. Disappointing really. And no, I've found no record of them visiting NZ. Perhaps I should write that book. Can't imagine it being a best-seller, at least beyond this forum.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Sizzling Sausages » 17 Jun 2014, 08:51

I can join you with Saigon. Did they ever go to Singapore?
And hey, I've been to London... :P

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:26 pm

kylie_koyote » 17 Jun 2014, 10:31

Sizzling Sausages wrote:
I can join you with Saigon. Did they ever go to Singapore?
And hey, I've been to London... :P

I think briefly in "air commodore". Probably in "flies again" too.

I've been to the Bahamas (in the blue) and Mexico (Mexico and Charter Pilot) but only to tourist places. And Canada (flies north) although I was in Montreal, not the wilderness.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » 17 Jun 2014, 10:59

I can do Singapore and Malta (Valetta) . I also drove through Vierzon and took the route Algy took to get to Monaco in Takes Charge.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Inactive User 171 » 17 Jun 2014, 12:54

I think Biggles called at Singapore on a few occasions.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

El Shereef » 17 Jun 2014, 13:31

I can do Borneo, Peru, Bolivia, Turkey,Sahara, Tibet
I think I'll start a map. Maybe there is one we can stick virtual pins in?

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

AusterAutocrat » 17 Jun 2014, 14:15

El Shereef wrote:

Yes - if you found a map on the Internet I'm sure you could edit in some pins ;)

'Fraid I've never been to any of these exotic places; in fact, the only paths of Biggles' I've ever 'crossed' are London and Paris, and I doubt even the same parts. :|

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:27 pm

kylie_koyote » 17 Jun 2014, 14:55

El Shereef wrote:

Check out the thread "how much have you travelled" in the Polls section. We should get a map, that would be cool.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Inactive User 171 » 17 Jun 2014, 15:46

Yes I would love to see a map. We could also get a map of the places Biggles went to. I can now confess that I have printed out a map of Australia and marked where the Australian members live where they have put that info on the Forum.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Kismet » 17 Jun 2014, 15:57

Vienna. (Biggles and the Pirate Treasure: The Case of the Phone Box Murder). He went to cafes and restaurants beginning with 'blue'. I went to the Donauturm which is a revolving cafe 170m from the ground which was unfortunately not built until 10 years after Biggles was there.

They stayed in the West Bahn Hotel - four single rooms and a sitting room: one of the few occasions that Biggles doesn't ask for a shared room - and I stayed with a friend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Inactive User 171 » 17 Jun 2014, 15:59

That is very interesting Kismet - I have not read that book. It is very unusual for them to have four single rooms - usually Biggles likes a double or else they all pile into one room and stay up all night.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 17 Jun 2014, 16:04

Does Biggles ever go to Budapest? I was there on business in 2006 and thought that it seemed a good Cold War setting for a Biggles story, but I can't remember if he ever went there.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Inactive User 171 » 17 Jun 2014, 16:05

I am sure he did but I cannot remember which book. He went to Prague and East Berlin - did he go anywhere else in Eastern Europe in Follows On?

Return to “Links”