Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Re: Around the World with Biggles

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:59 pm

Fairblue » 14 Sep 2014, 12:20

I had a Singapore Sling in Raffles public bar, which is the nearest you can get to the place if you're not staying there. I was pleased that it arrived in a 'Singapore Sling' cocktail glass and had all the requisite extra components - straw, fruit etc as well. I had geared myself up to being disappointed, expecting a tourist-type rip-off version, but no! The real McCoy and very enjoyable it was, too.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:59 pm

J349 » 13 May 2015, 16:52

Added some more locations from Works it Out (there are quite a lot of them!), are we missing any?
Also, does anybody know if the chaps visit anywhere 'real' in Finland/Russia during Sees it Through? Their base aerodrome was at a place called "Oskar" (not sure that it exists).
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:00 pm

kylie_koyote » 13 May 2015, 18:18

J349 wrote:
Added some more locations from Works it Out (there are quite a lot of them!), are we missing any?
Also, does anybody know if the chaps visit anywhere 'real' in Finland/Russia during Sees it Through? Their base aerodrome was at a place called "Oskar" (not sure that it exists).

Some of the lakes mentioned are real. I looked them up on Google Earth the last time I read it. If I get time, I'll update the map in a bit.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Fairblue » 13 May 2015, 18:23

I've still not been able to grasp that map. Must try harder.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 13 May 2015, 20:31

I've put Lake Lagoda (now part of Russia) on the map. I am skimming through "Sees it Through" to see if I can find any more place names. Oskar is not a real place, at least, not now.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

J349 » 13 May 2015, 20:59

kylie_koyote wrote:
I've put Lake Lagoda (now part of Russia) on the map. I am skimming through "Sees it Through" to see if I can find any more place names. Oskar is not a real place, at least, not now.

Ahh yes great thanks, I read that recently, but forgot about it. Reading Biggles = Perfect Substitute for Geography lessons!

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 13 May 2015, 21:04

J349 wrote:
Reading Biggles = Perfect Substitute for Geography lessons!

I quite agree. Conversations in our house often go something like this:

Husband: There's a news story on TV about this place XYZ.

Me: Oh, I know that place. It's where such-and-such happened.

Husband: (sarcastically) Let me guess, Biggles went there?

Me: Obviously. Duh.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

J349 » 13 May 2015, 21:09

kylie_koyote wrote:
J349 wrote:
Reading Biggles = Perfect Substitute for Geography lessons!

I quite agree. Conversations in our house often go something like this:

Husband: There's a news story on TV about this place XYZ.

Me: Oh, I know that place. It's where such-and-such happened.

Husband: (sarcastically) Let me guess, Biggles went there?

Me: Obviously. Duh.

:lol: :lol:

Haha that happens to me too lol. I'm almost embarrassed to explain why I know so much about a particular place...

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:01 pm

266 » 18 May 2015, 10:22

Fairblue wrote:
I had a Singapore Sling in Raffles public bar, which is the nearest you can get to the place if you're not staying there. I was pleased that it arrived in a 'Singapore Sling' cocktail glass and had all the requisite extra components - straw, fruit etc as well. I had geared myself up to being disappointed, expecting a tourist-type rip-off version, but no! The real McCoy and very enjoyable it was, too.

I also felt the need for a drink at the Raffles. Fortunately I only had a Tiger beer, which with my wife's fruit juice came to a cool $40. The sling would have broken the bank, I suspect!

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

kylie_koyote » 18 May 2015, 11:25

Holy Pumpkins!

I am going to print out the recipe for a Singapore Sling from Wikipedia and take it with me to the liquor store. Next time we have people over, I'm going to try this. It looks fun.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

y Fairblue » 18 May 2015, 11:26

266 wrote:
Fairblue wrote:

I also felt the need for a drink at the Raffles. Fortunately I only had a Tiger beer, which with my wife's fruit juice came to a cool $40. The sling would have broken the bank, I suspect!

Actually, I have no idea how much it was. When we booked a three -day stopover for our return journey back to the UK two tours were included in the price, one of them an evening tour of the city, a visit to Raffles with the Singapore Sling included. As our time was limited we thought it a good option and it was better than I thought it would be. But having Mow been there, done that I don't think I'll be going again.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

J349 » 20 Oct 2015, 19:15

I've added a couple more locations from Sergeant Bigglesworth CID that were missing. :D

Return to “Links”