Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Parkington Pacemaker

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Postby 266 » 11 May 2016, 05:33

A name like that is too good to be true, and so it proves to be. The Pacemaker, one of WEJ's numerous imaginary aircraft, appears in one book: Biggles Hunts Big Game. Having earlier this year read the aforementioned tome, my curiosity as to the modellability (new word - add to dictionary as required) of this "mystery kite" has led me to give it a go. It's well under way and I'll have progress pictures on here for the next week or so, which I hope will see it done. Hoping to have the decks clear for when VV starts the next Group Build.

So....what might it look like?

We know very little from the book. It is an American commercial 8-seater, reduced to 6 for the story to allow for passengers extra heavy gear. It is supposedly capable of 300mph, and has a flying dragon device on the nose. (I will try to reproduce the version shown on the cover of the Hampton edition). The company is registered in Liechtenstein, so we must assume that their aircraft are as well. Beyond that, it is all imagination.

My imagination came up with two likely prospects for a late forties light passenger aircraft; one Russian and one American. Since the book aircraft is American, I went that way and bought a kit to match the picture in my head. Much to my surprise, very shortly afterwards I found an early edition with a picture of our Pacemaker. Amazingly it was almost exactly like the kit I had just bought. Thus encouraged, I am now over halfway to completion. More pictures to follow, but meantime this is what I'm trying for:
052AC531-F500-4DA7-9FC0-0BEFA27F5684.jpeg
Last edited by 266 on 16 May 2016, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Re: Parkington Pacemaker

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Postby Frecks » 11 May 2016, 08:21

I have that edition of Hunts Big Game. Good luck with the build.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 11 May 2016, 10:15

Well, that looks a little familiar... ;) :D

Always love your work. Keen to see the finished product.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 11 May 2016, 10:17

I'm looking forwards to seeing this one, 266.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby tiffinata » 11 May 2016, 10:43

Me as well.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 11 May 2016, 11:19

Oh good luck! I shall watch with interest as this comes together.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby 266 » 11 May 2016, 21:09

VickersVandal wrote:
Well, that looks a little familiar... ;) :D

...Hmmm....maybe....

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Postby 266 » 12 May 2016, 00:36
15BDDE82-0EDC-4836-BDD2-82C6DDDE6F60.jpeg

Here's the first evidence of progress, sort of.

4CD437D0-85F8-47F7-9693-EAF01641228A.jpeg
An extra bit of information on the Pacemaker: it has an endurance of at least six hours plus reserve, enough to fly the 1800 miles from Cairo to Kudinga. I can't believe that it carried enough fuel for the return journey, so the question of the day is: How did Stellar Skyways get fuel supplies to Kudinga? Hypotheses welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Postby Babanango » 12 May 2016, 00:41

This is fantastic. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I've been wanting to build one of these for a couple of years now.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Postby 266 » 13 May 2016, 09:24

83461B56-5A7C-4AB9-9FB5-A38EB6B7C065.jpeg
A couple more pictures of very gradual progress:

2DF6F38C-B656-48C8-9682-F46D96ACA481.jpeg

Since these were taken a bit more assembly has happened, but it doesn't look very inspiring. The most exciting part was installing curtains - a desirable extra in a high-end tourist aircraft travelling in the tropics. Especially when they didn't have air conditioning.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Postby kylie_koyote » 13 May 2016, 20:00

Wow that's very detailed!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Postby 266 » 15 May 2016, 03:10
45C34A77-3345-4E24-91D2-BE4403EE0BBD.jpeg

A bit more progress....

DD8713F6-3BD8-445B-B247-A57CD42B9EBC.jpeg

The first photo shows the (less than perfect) interior installation of the curtains, the second with fuselage joined showing an acceptable illusion of curtains from the outside. Next up will be the engines and a more complete assembly of the whole. One of the pics shows masking of the fins for a vertical bar. I have no idea why Stellar Skyways would want a vertical bar on their fins, but it's in the book picture! Also in that picture is what looks suspiciously like a military fin flash. My logic says the artist may have been copying a picture of a military aircraft and neglected to remove it. However, in the spirit of the story, I have assumed that it shows the colours of Liechtenstein displayed on a Liechtenstein registered aircraft, so that mysterious mark will also be there on the model.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Postby VickersVandal » 15 May 2016, 10:21

Oh, jolly good show! Great work on those curtains.

I was sure that had to be a fin flash too. I like your reasoning re Lichtensteinianianian colouring for it. This is coming together really well.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:45 pm

Postby 266 » 16 May 2016, 05:09

Plodding along....
305855F8-A23C-49E1-BA0F-34760D429473.jpeg

The bits are coming together now and starting to look like an aircraft. The canopy is time consuming as I can only mask a couple of frames at a time, but it should look the part when done. Engine cowlings and nacelles are assembled, props go on when I finish painting the blades and spinners. Tail unit attached. The main activity now will be installing the undercarriage, after I've put the final coat of paint on the fuselage. Then....markings, which I'm a bit afraid will turn out to be a story on its own. Hoping not.
58A97290-9200-42B4-B7C9-772FE3A194C0.jpeg

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:48 pm

Postby Fairblue » 16 May 2016, 10:04

This is coming along splendidly, 266. I've taken a shine to this plane for some reason or another and am really looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Frecks » 16 May 2016, 10:39

Yes I love this plane too - perhaps it is the details, curtains etc. which make it so special.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 16 May 2016, 11:05

It's really coming together nicely, I love all the tiny details!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby archie » 16 May 2016, 13:28

Coming along nicely, 266. Look forward to seeing the finished article, as FB says.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby 266 » 17 May 2016, 01:38

Oh dear, as the saying goes.

Having carefully masked and painted my canopy - very well, I thought - I have managed to smear a mixture of glue and silver paint across it while installing same.

This brought about two immediate responses:
1/ A couple of very short words, which, translated from the Russian, mean "Oh bother."
2/ A rapid resort to cotton buds and turps to try and lessen the damage.

In consequence, and therefore a bit late, I have learned a couple of things which I now share.

First, use wood glue for canopies. It's easy to remove and dries clear. Obvious when someone tells you!
Second, floor polish (Johnson Kleer) can restore gloss to damaged canopies. I don't know how well this will work, but will advise shortly.

Meantime, I have added more bits to the model but will hold the photos till the canopy repair is complete.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Postby kylie_koyote » 17 May 2016, 11:39

Oh no! I hope you get it sorted out. It's such a lovely plane I would hate anything permanently bad to happen to it.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Kismet » 17 May 2016, 12:33

Take photos, then if the restoration with floor polish is successful, we can see before and after pics.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby 266 » 20 May 2016, 07:16

A quick update...the floor polish worked remarkably well, and the canopy is now "average" rather than "awful." (Alas the quick action required at the time means no before/after pics are available.) Tonight I am fitting the last fiddly bits and will start on the markings. My ambitious aim of using the cover image from the Hampton edition got awfully complicated and so I've found an acceptable alternative. This will require some expert help to miniaturise without wrecking the image, but it should be finished next week.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby tiffinata » 22 May 2016, 00:30

Wow!! Loving the detail that goes into these, and following your thought pattern.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 22 May 2016, 11:24

Klear is the modeller's Nectar of the Gods.... :D

Glad you managed to rescue it. Well done!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Isaac Reed » 22 May 2016, 18:06

This is a great one, good luck figuring out the markings! That's the trouble a lot. Sometimes I wish WEJ had had a catalogue of all the planes in the books made up! Can't wait to see the end result.

Return to “Model Making”