Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

And Another Mystery...

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Postby 266 » 19 Jan 2016, 06:06

Here's the latest effort: another mystery aircraft. This one is likely to build quickly so no great songs and dances this time...but it's still a mystery for you to guess at till the final photo. Here's the starting picture, which should be a clue in itself:
27379D43-ED8E-4C45-9BAB-218D76F79622.jpeg

I've no doubt VV will be on to this one, but good luck to all. All I'll say now is: it represents an aircraft that appears somewhere in the Biggles books - once.

This will be my last for a while, probably till the next Group Build. Enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Re: And Another Mystery...

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Postby Isaac Reed » 19 Jan 2016, 15:34

Hmmm, I don't know my aircraft too well but this looks like it is late 30s to me. Beyond that I'm lost.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Postby Tommy Smith » 19 Jan 2016, 16:07

Gullwing...non radial...?

Ah!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 20 Jan 2016, 12:40

OK, this is bugging the heck out of me! I thought I had it but those spatted wheels pulled me up.

Look forward to seeing the finished product. I do like your mystery builds :mrgreen:

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Tommy Smith » 20 Jan 2016, 13:21

not just me then... :?

It's the love child of a Supermarine 224 and Junkers 87...

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 20 Jan 2016, 23:04

Tommy Smith wrote:
not just me then... :?

It's the love child of a Supermarine 224 and Junkers 87...

:lol: :lol:

On that note, I can't resiste posting this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JBF6oijQeJY/V ... idBaby.jpg

But yes, I feel like I've exhausted my Heinkel and Junkers options. I'm sure I haven't, but it continues to elude me. No doubt 266 is tickled pink :mrgreen:

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Tommy Smith » 21 Jan 2016, 00:00

:lol:

Arado AR 80

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby 266 » 21 Jan 2016, 06:29

Congratulations TS! Arado 80 it is. Here's the box art:
54DA8FCB-0E8B-4CE9-8BF7-419CE6635AE4.jpeg

Now what has this to do with Biggles? And no, you won't find any mention of an Arado 80 in any of the books; however, as will be revealed in due course, I am convinced that this was what WEJ had in mind for the aircraft this represents. More to come later...

So what was the Arado 80? It was a contestant in the Luftwaffe fighter competition of 1934, along with the Fw159, He112 and the ultimate winner, the soon to be famous Messerschmitt 109. Heinkel made a few 112's, and the improved 100 model as well, but the Ar80 and Fw159 were returned to their makers. The box art shows the Arado as it was at that time, though not necessarily as it appears in our story. Stay tuned....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 pm

Postby Tommy Smith » 21 Jan 2016, 07:09

An altogether very interesting trip into the past. New to me. An aircraft allegedly commissioned by Hermann Göring in a letter in October 1933 asking for a "high speed courier aircraft". We flew our own Supermarine 224 in Feb 34. They would be interesting to see side by side.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Postby 266 » 24 Jan 2016, 00:56

Time flies, and my alleged quick build isn't. Largely due to the assembler's ineptitude. However the bits have got closer together

F929BDB0-DBA6-4CEC-9127-14BA4C7B329B.jpeg

and will reach completion soon.

We know now what it is, but where does it fit? The answer is: Biggles and Co. (again). Having completed the third and last of the German "unknown" aircraft, I've jumped back in the book to produce this, the first. This is the "rakish" dark brown fighter that downs Biggles in his Cormorant, half way through the book. We have talked before about EVS having access to good equipment, and the need for most of it to be anonymous. This aircraft, perfectly capable for his needs, was returned to Arado after the fighter competition. What more likely than a productive use being found for it - and very few people in the world would be able to recognise it. More info soon, hopefully when I get it finished.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 24 Jan 2016, 04:23

Love your logic on this one. I'm convinced!
This is a great project.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Tommy Smith » 24 Jan 2016, 10:38

Excellent, very rakish.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Postby 266 » 30 Jan 2016, 03:43

Model completed, though I haven't produced a diorama for it yet.
D3FA6D1E-6ADC-4252-BF9E-9C2FD2552C01.jpeg

The only illustration I'm aware of for the fighter of Biggles & Co. is on the cover of the Armada edition. This shows a short dumpy aircraft painted black and green. Unfortunately the book description is of "a long rakish monoplane, painted dark brown and obviously built for speed and manoeuvrability."

I've gone with WEJ's description, and as previously explained, the Arado 80 is my pick for this aircraft. The real Ar80 was "lost" for a while before being used as a flying test-bed for later Arado developments. It's availability real-world for EVS's fictional organisation was such that I was tempted to use its real-world registration letters. I haven't, because, like the green monoplane that appears later, it would be silly to identify an aircraft you intend using for criminal purposes. So, with its new coat of brown paint, it became anonymous.

Final pictures in due course, then a holiday from modelling. Thanks everyone, for your interest, and I look forward to VV's next Group Build.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Postby VickersVandal » 30 Jan 2016, 05:36

Bravo old fruit! Great finish on the model and it looks suitably menacing.

Return to “Model Making”