Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

New year, new model

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Postby 266 » 01 Jan 2016, 03:41

Pending the next Group Build I have kicked off the New Year with a new model. No secrets about this one: a Messerschmitt 108. Here's the picture...
6BE11880-4FEB-4BC6-AD9E-8FCE7E501DB6.jpeg

Now, that's not what it should look like when it's done...as the next picture may hint
171B4CCB-AE91-4420-91C1-21157EE6E390.jpeg

As always, there's a story attached. Tune in soon for the next installment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Re: New year, new model

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Postby VickersVandal » 01 Jan 2016, 03:51

Excellent!
This kit falls together nice and easily. Looks like a good start on it.
I had the good fortune of inspecting one close up the other week - HARS inherited one recently.

So....interested to find out if it is a Biggles story attached to this one :geek: :think: :thinking2:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 01 Jan 2016, 04:24

Looks like you have many happy (frustrating?) hours ahead of you!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 01 Jan 2016, 04:26

kylie_koyote wrote:
Looks like you have many happy (frustrating?) hours ahead of you!

:lol: :lol:

Normally yes. Not with this kit though. It is a nice simple, quick build. I was originally planning to "blitz" mine (build within 24 hours).

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby tiffinata » 01 Jan 2016, 09:39

I look forward to following, 266.

I think I have a photo of that Messerschmitt taken back in October, VV. I must sort through my photos.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:46 pm

Postby 266 » 03 Jan 2016, 00:01
AE6CCEB8-AD31-419E-B478-0B093FDFA440.jpeg

The Messerschmitt progresses, slowly. My good intentions are, as usual, hampered by lack of manual dexterity. Or in other words, it ain't as easy as I'd like to think. This is my third Heller kit and I have to admit to liking their style. Nice finish and easy (for most) to assemble. Now why the Bf108, I hear you cry? Where does this fit in the forum and its affinity with Bigglesian literature?

We have speculated previously about the identity of quite a few of WEJ's aircraft, either because of their imaginary nature or their incomplete description. In this case, I am delving into one of my favourites, Biggles and Co. There were several aircraft featured, real, imaginary, and unknown. This is one of the three unknown German machines that make an appearance. Now if you study the aircraft of the time, there are many candidates for this shortlist of three, so how to go about narrowing the field? I aim to come back to the other two in future kits, but my pick is that the Bf108 is Von Stalhein's getaway aircraft from the end of the book.

Why? In running a secret organisation of national importance, EVS would have access to good equipment. His aircraft appear to be "unknown" to B and Co, which suggests that they are rare. Useful prototypes would suit EVS for their anonymity, but the one he uses to visit public airports would have no need for secrecy. Thus I pick a new type in production at the time, the Bf108, which would be legitimately marked for public appearances, but have the speed and range for a faster than average escape after less legitimate activities.
AF10DF07-AD0F-4299-B5B3-55FB5D7261A2.jpeg

More info to come as the kit progresses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 03 Jan 2016, 00:07

I am amazed at the attention to detail everyone is putting into modelling. Not just in the actual build, but the reasoning behind it and the research required. It's wonderful. Great work!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby tiffinata » 03 Jan 2016, 00:08

I like your logic, 266.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 03 Jan 2016, 05:27

266 wrote:
Why? In running a secret organisation of national importance, EVS would have access to good equipment. His aircraft appear to be "unknown" to B and Co, which suggests that they are rare. Useful prototypes would suit EVS for their anonymity, but the one he uses to visit public airports would have no need for secrecy. Thus I pick a new type in production at the time, the Bf108, which would be legitimately marked for public appearances, but have the speed and range for a faster than average escape after less legitimate activities.

Great minds think alike. It was my pick for the getaway aircraft for exactly the reasons you've articulated.
As an agent for an operation of national economic and military significance it would definitely make sense for him to have access to the latest and best equipment and the timing of the book puts it around the prototype/pre-market period for the 108.

My Stalhein build was part of a Heller GB: http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=330&t=12476

This is going together well. I recall the cockpit being the most fiddly part and once I got past that the build pace picked up a lot.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Isaac Reed » 04 Jan 2016, 11:10

Great thinking 266. It's coming together very well and good attention to detail as well. Very nice.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Postby 266 » 05 Jan 2016, 09:55

Slowly the bits coalesce. Someday they may even look like an aeroplane.
5C93513B-A9B6-41CE-8388-C1FE1D2A08A2.jpeg

Originally I intended to paint it a light grey, per an early 30's scheme I quite liked. Alas I couldn't find a paint that related to the ReichsLuftfahrtsMinisterium colour I wanted, which was quite useful in the end. With a little thought I realised that EVS wouldn't be using an easily spotted scheme, and so picked instead another RLM colour used on civil aircraft in the 30's. Not only is it not a bad colour, but it would double as a useful camouflage should you not wish to be easily seen. I wondered about using green, like one of the other "unknowns" in the story - but after Biggles's near-death experience mid book, I suspect he would have been way too alert for green aircraft to have not picked up on EVS's unexpected arrival. We can therefore say, with reasonable safety, that this aircraft was not green.
57FF005F-C88D-4C8C-A51F-E65C3C28BF38.jpeg

And what of this excellent Messerschmitt product? The Bf108 "Taifun" was an outstanding aircraft for its time; a fast touring four-seater with excellent handling, a top speed of nearly 200mph (abetted by its retractable undercarriage - a novelty for light aircraft at that time), and a range of over 600 miles - enough indeed for a return flight between London and Western Germany. Its structure formed the basis for the much more famous Bf109 fighter of WW2 fame. The Taifun saw wide use in WW2 as a communications aircraft, and continued in production postwar under other names. There is one flying in New Zealand, in Luftwaffe colours, and it seems another now in Oz.

The saga continues ...soon.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 05 Jan 2016, 12:05

These are coming along nicely, 266. And I really like your reasoning behind choosing colours.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 05 Jan 2016, 12:28

Wow I'm impressed both with your creativity and your research.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Postby 266 » 07 Jan 2016, 08:29

The days roll by...the canopy slowly being masked and painted, the aircraft awaits its wheels and markings.

FC516360-BAF0-4942-86DC-7F0A51EA56F5.jpeg
And one of my favourite Biggles illustrations:
7454123C-36B5-4D55-88C9-8C9B23A99F01.jpeg

...alternatively captioned "Cronfelt gets his comeuppance."

Shortly hereafter EVS makes his dramatic escape with Cronfelt's suitcase - in our shortly-to-be-completed Bf108. Hopefully it will look the part.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:53 pm

Postby Fairblue » 07 Jan 2016, 10:20

Very neat, 266. I like your style.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 07 Jan 2016, 12:21

I like your alternate caption.

Very nice plane too! It's coming along well.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Babanango » 07 Jan 2016, 17:41

This is coming along very nicely. I'm currently reading "Defies the Swastika" and was thinking of this plane as a candidate for the one EVS flies into Norway.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby 266 » 08 Jan 2016, 01:03

Very likely for the one EVS flies to Stavanger. Not that he had it for long..!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Isaac Reed » 08 Jan 2016, 17:52

Been following this but haven't posted anything. I like how you painted the pieces while still on the sprew. I've never thought to do that before but its a good idea if painting my brush I would imagine. This is coming together very nicely. Keep up the good work.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:56 pm

Postby 266 » 12 Jan 2016, 23:06

With a last burst of enthusiasm and some dodgy camera work, the Bf108 is complete. In the first shot, Von Stalhein is out of sight grabbing Cronfelt's bag, while his pilot positions the aircraft for a rapid departure.
CCCD6FF8-57D7-46A1-A090-35A05F0FE86F.jpeg

In the next shot, however, the aircraft is swung around for the getaway, with EVS scrambling aboard carrying his ill-gotten gains.
F1934CB4-FD69-4607-982F-5FDA8856C752.jpeg

And from the magically time travelled airfield security camera, a shot of EVS about to throw himself into the cockpit as his pilot opens the throttle for takeoff.
99E351CD-D1FA-45B8-AE48-5B99765FDCDF.jpeg

At this point B and Co. arrive a bit late with the comment: "Did you ever see anything so cool as that in your life?" Indeed, a close-run thing for EVS - but was it worth it? Sorry, you'll have to read the book - again.

Oops, almost forgot! The German civil registration of the Bf108 contains the lesson Cronfelt learned a bit late: Don't - Annoy Erich Von Stalhein

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:57 pm

Postby tiffinata » 12 Jan 2016, 23:22

Oh, I DO like that!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 12 Jan 2016, 23:23

:lol: I really love this, 266. The registration is pretty nifty, too.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 13 Jan 2016, 01:20

Oh wow that's fantastic. How creative!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 13 Jan 2016, 09:29

Absolute gold there! :D :D :D :D

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Postby Babanango » 13 Jan 2016, 21:16

I love it. Having a base and figures really does bring these models, and the stories, to life. What are the figures from?

Return to “Model Making”