Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Imaginary Aircraft of WEJ

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:32 pm

by Fairblue » 16 Aug 2015, 20:59

VickersVandal wrote:
I just bought the MPM kit the other day for my daughter to build Amelia Earhart's famous red version.

Is that in addition to the sparkly blue Tiger Moth? :mrgreen:
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby 266 » 16 Aug 2015, 21:21

VickersVandal wrote:
If you want a Scapa:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Cont ... 58ca125cac

I can't justify that price tag myself. Not high enough on the priorities list....

Also, good thinking with the Vega. Another very likely contender for Wilks' transport. I just bought the MPM kit the other day for my daughter to build Amelia Earhart's famous red version.

Orions were used for a number of Alaskan routes, hence I picked that over the Vega or Electra as a likely arctic gold transport.

Thanks...at that price plus post I'll be able to buy quite a few kits that my skill level will let me finish with some self esteem intact...so will leave it for an expert to acquire. The Vega seemed the kind of robust and reliable machine Wilks might need, especially the metal fuselage version. They were used up in N. Canada as well.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 17 Aug 2015, 00:42

Yes, Vega and Orion both likely suspects. That's the beauty of it - room for personal interpretation. Also, I love the look of the Orion and it was a kit I was very keen to build :mrgreen:

Fairblue wrote:
VickersVandal wrote:
I just bought the MPM kit the other day for my daughter to build Amelia Earhart's famous red version.

Is that in addition to the sparkly blue Tiger Moth? :mrgreen:

Ah, different daughter ;)
My eldest (10) is the Earhart, her little sister (7) is the little artiste with the sparkly paint fixation. That reminds me, I need to post up a picture of the incredible job she did on the pilots - probably better than a lot of my efforts! :o

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by Fairblue » 17 Aug 2015, 07:00

VickersVandal wrote:

That reminds me, I need to post up a picture of the incredible job she did on the pilots - probably better than a lot of my efforts! :o

Please do. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:33 pm

by 266 » 25 Aug 2015, 21:32

The flow of cards, letters and psychic messages has been more or less entirely non existent, but I just know you're all agog to see the Weinkel...however a funny thing happened as I sat looking at my new kit and its prospective modification. A dark hooded inspiration appeared beside me, grabbed me by the throat and shouted NO! several times over, until I realised that what I really wanted was to make a model of Blackbeard's seaplane.

48 hours of kitbash kindergarten later it was made and painted, but decals were problematical and I wasted several costly sheets of decal paper trying to make a colour that didn't finish up transparent. In the end I used some belonging to a tolerant friend, and all that is left now is the application of national colours, and me trying to remember how to upload photos...watch this space.

Then maybe Blackbeard's ghost will let me get back to the Weinkel.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 25 Aug 2015, 22:37

Now you've really whetted my appetite, 266.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Kismet » 25 Aug 2015, 22:39

Have you not received my psychic messages? I think you need to put a complaint in with your service provider......

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by kylie_koyote » 26 Aug 2015, 01:30

Awesome I'm looking forward to the finished product! If you can't remember how to upload pictures, pm me and I'll help you out.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 26 Aug 2015, 01:56

I am fascinated to see your interpretation of Blackbeard's kite and how it compares with mine.

Ladies, sorry I keep forgetting to post up pictures of the girls' work. I might get time tonight. If I build something this weekend they'll be very likely to want to work on theirs too and may get them finished.
Edit: done (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2078)

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:34 pm

by 266 » 30 Aug 2015, 04:43

At last a successful upload. Attached are images of Blackbeard's seaplane as imagined by me after a brief haunting from Blackbeard's ghost. In theory it matches the known description: single engined, 2 - 3 seat, low wing cabin monoplane, radio equipped, with twin floats and a biplane tail unit, registered D-XXYA.

In addition the features are: black upper surfaces to match the fleet colour, German pre-swastika national markings (Yes, I grew up with the Russian version but the original makes more sense), a covered machine gun in each wing, and (I hope) a generally sinister appearance. Now I can get on with my Weinkel 12.140714081409
081000F9-2906-4BB7-878D-24A8C24E17A3.png
4CD1FD11-1A39-4FD3-91D2-438411F0CC35.png
8AD498CA-2F19-42D1-9491-64912061E828.png
Brief description:
1/ Seaplane moored at slipway
2/ Seaplane drifting off, Ginger obscured on opposite float
3/ The unwanted view of Blackbeard's seaplane as it chases you across the North Sea
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 pm

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 30 Aug 2015, 06:01

Wow, impressive VV! And certainly very sinister in my eyes, good work, exactly how I pictured it! :D

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby tiffinata » 30 Aug 2015, 08:25

Fantastic job 266. I must get my Lancaster out again.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 30 Aug 2015, 10:00

A great job, 266. It's not quite how I imagined it myself, but this makes more sense and will now be the image floating around (pun intended) in my mind when I read the book again.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 30 Aug 2015, 10:07

Very nicely executed! I'm with tiff in that this is significantly different to what I had in mind but it's a superb modelling job and well thought out interpretation.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 30 Aug 2015, 10:18

The black paint really does add a sinister touch. Like in the old days when the baddie in cowboy films wore black hats

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 30 Aug 2015, 11:45

This is wonderful!!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby 266 » 16 Oct 2015, 06:43

Herein, I hope, is an image of McBain's Weinkel 12, photographed outside his hideaway in the woods. It may need clicking to activate...my computer skills are a bit random.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 16 Oct 2015, 09:15

Jolly good show old bean!!

Love the little diorama you've put around it. 8-) 8-)

BJM for Brindle J Mcbain?

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 16 Oct 2015, 10:01

Magnificent! A work of art indeed! :yay:

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 pm

by 266 » 16 Oct 2015, 10:26

VickersVandal wrote:
Jolly good show old bean!!

Love the little diorama you've put around it. 8-) 8-)

BJM for Brindle J Mcbain?

Thanks, and yes.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby 266 » 16 Oct 2015, 10:27

OzBiggles1963 wrote:
Magnificent! A work of art indeed! :yay:

You are most generous.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby tiffinata » 16 Oct 2015, 11:09

I need to view it on a computer. Can't get my phone to do it.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby tiffinata » 16 Oct 2015, 11:09

I need to view it on a computer. Can't get my phone to do it.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by Mac50L » 16 Oct 2015, 12:25

266 wrote:
At last a successful upload. Attached are images of Blackbeard's seaplane as imagined by me after a brief haunting from Blackbeard's ghost. In theory it matches the known description: single engined, 2 - 3 seat, low wing cabin monoplane, radio equipped, with twin floats and a biplane tail unit, registered D-XXYA.

From -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... s_aircraft
Your model looks a lot like one of these though they are only 2 seat and don't have the biplane tailplane -
Arado Ar 95
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arado_Ar_95
Arado Ar 196 -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arado_Ar_196
or Arado Ar 199
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arado_Ar_199

Certainly your model looks good and has a "could have been real" look to it.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Postby VickersVandal » 16 Oct 2015, 21:37

It would have to be the Airfix or Revell Ar 196 kit for the seaplane, but I hadn't paid close enough attention :oops: to really notice the modification to the aft fuselage. That is a very nice bit of scratchbuilding there! It looks completely convincing. You'd only know it was a mod if you knew what shape the fueslage was meant to be. Hats off to you, 266! That's why I didn't pick up on it at first - too neatly done.

I also like that you went with the radial engine on the HE70, to be a bit different.

You've upped the ante for me on the upcoming group build 8-) :twisted:
I certainly can't afford to relax my standards with you turning out builds like this :mrgreen:

Return to “Model Making”