Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Parkington Pacemaker

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Postby 266 » 25 May 2016, 03:22

Well, here it is.

3EF534D2-FB21-42FC-AE2B-48B45318B3EE.jpeg
9BF9B9E3-337F-44F8-BC24-BDDD205403C5.jpeg
8DA288AD-A084-4DE7-8B81-CBD497B4B31E.jpeg

A small dissertation to follow re markings and logic. Hope you like the Pacemaker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Postby 266 » 25 May 2016, 06:42

Life has been a bit hectic these few weeks - familial and pet issues interspersed with car problems and a flood through the house, plus a couple of other unexpected demands on time and money. I'm hoping it's settling down a bit. But now, with a short breathing space, I can provide the promised dissertation.

First, as mentioned earlier, the mysterious vertical bar on the rudder. No logic to it, just have to assume it was an in-house marking for Stellar Skyways.
Next, the fin flash. I have included it as the red/blue colours of Liechtenstein, since the aircraft is owned by a Liechtenstein registered company; for the same reason I have registered the aircraft with the same nationality.

Now the keen eyed will be saying: "But the nitwit has given it Swiss lettering!" And they would be right. Liechtenstein is a very small country and has delegated a number of international functions to Switzerland. Civil aviation is one of those. A Liechtenstein aircraft will have the HB- letters of Switzerland, followed by L for Liechtenstein, followed by the two letters identifying the individual aircraft. In this case those letters are ST for Stellar Tours. Post-war rules allowed for smaller lettering than prewar, and some countries didn't push the issue of wing lettering at all. I've assumed that a reduction in identification would suit Stellar Skyways, but have kept some letters for the wings in case I change my mind later.

Moving on, I come to the dragon on the nose. The early book illustration shows a dragon of sorts; the Hampton edition had a cool red dragon on the cover, but it got too hard to isolate and reduce it. I then found another image that I liked, and managed to shrink that on to decal paper. It came out well. If anyone wants this image in 1-72 or 1-48 I have a sheet of them now unused. Yours for the asking.

The model itself started as a Hobbycraft Beech C-45. I interfered with it a bit and am happy with the outcome. It looks like the Pacemaker in my imagination. Now for the WW1 group build.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 25 May 2016, 08:53

You've made a grand job of this, 266. As I said earlier, I'm quite fond of this plane for some reason and I like it even better now you've finished it.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby tiffinata » 25 May 2016, 10:47

That is so beautiful.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby kylie_koyote » 25 May 2016, 11:50

It is a beautiful plane and you've done fantastic background research. Very impressive all around.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Postby archie » 26 May 2016, 14:06

That is good. It looks like a tiny aeroplane rather than a model, if you know what I mean!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby 266 » 26 May 2016, 22:22

Thank you. That's the ideal outcome!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby VickersVandal » 27 May 2016, 12:17

Oh jolly good show that man! :pilot2: :yay:

Excellent research, planning and execution. I am well impressed!

I also feel rather foolish for not spotting the Expeditor from the illustration. I am ashamed... :oops: :oops:

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Postby Mac50L » 28 May 2016, 05:45
C130F51E-2E74-40B7-A0CD-880EBCE84CE0.jpeg
I made a mistake thinking it was an Electra, probably the first plane I ever flew in but, from Wiki, "The Model 18 can be mistaken for the larger Lockheed Electra series of airliners which closely resemble it."

Beech 18 - 9000+ built, first flight Jan 1937, Maximum speed: 225 mph (195 knots, 360 km/h), Range: 1,200 mi (1,000 NM, 1,900 km) at 160 mph (260 km/h), Capacity: 6 passengers.

The Swiss airforce used them so obvious, a Lichtenstein licence built version ???.

As for speed, they staged a race between one and a jet powered Mac truck at Oshkosh. It also looked quite spectacular, doing aerobatics at night, tailing flares etc. Sorry no night pictures but a couple of it doing aerobatics during the day.
40B924AB-5BD4-40D4-B8E3-CCE4C1043494.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Model Making”