Restoring an Avro Hanson

Aircraft, aviation. Flight simulators. Flight, flying, pilots, aircraft related or other hardware. Also automobiles, trains and ships
Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Restoring an Avro Hanson

Post by Fairblue » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:37 pm

Most of you know that I am lucky enough to work as a volunteer at the Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre, where my particular responsibility is to catalogue the largest private collection of Aviation books in Scotland. A job I love, although I confess I sometimes read more than I catalogue.
http://rafmontrose.org.uk/

We had managed to obtain an Avro Hanson to restore.

One of the iconic aircraft of the Second World War is returning to the site of the historic beginning of the RAF in Great Britain. Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre, the first operational air station in Great Britain, has acquired an Avro Anson, a Mk. C19, serial number TX226 which was built at Yeadon between January and August 1946.
Ansons of Coastal Command were based at Montrose from 1939 and throughout the Second World War, operating with 269 Squadron flying reconnaissance patrols up the east coast. Flying from Montrose, Flt Sgt Tony Reen (later Flt Lt) was on 269 Squadron when war broke, flying Ansons on patrols in the North Sea. On February 23rd 1940 he successfully attacked and sunk an enemy submarine off Cape Wrath. Tony Reen DFM was a founder member at the MASHC, a display case at the centre features his uniform and medals, which include Norway’s highest gallantry award – the War Cross with Sword. On leaving the RAF after the war, Tony settled in Montrose with his wife Muriel, staying latterly in Southesk Court, Ferryden.
With 10,996 built, the Anson had an extremely long service life. The Anson entered RAF service in March 1936 and remained in use until 1968. Initially it was flown with a 3-man crew but later developments in its reconnaissance role required a 4th crew member. In addition to coastal patrol and training roles, Ansons also provided support for the Air Transport Auxiliary.
This will be the second major aircraft to arrive at the air centre this year. In March the heritage centre at Montrose took delivery of a Miles M.2H Hawk Major, one of only two examples of the type in Britain. The Hawk came from the RAF Museum Reserve Collection, its arrival marking a significant success for the centre in having impressed Britain’s largest aviation museum.
Currently TX226 is disassembled and stored near Coventry airport, and should arrive at Montrose early in the New Year when it will undergo a rebuild to Exhibition Standard by a team of the centre’s Volunteer engineers. Earlier this year a new workshop was constructed specifically for aircraft restoration, where currently a Sopwith Camel replica is undergoing the first restoration.
MASHC chairman Ron Morris said “The arrival of the Anson will make a significant contribution to our endeavours to show the aircraft that once flew from Montrose, Scotland’s contribution to the RAF, and our efforts to preserve the past for future generations.”
(Photo credit:Robin A Walker): Anson C19 TX226 photographed with Flying Training Command Communications Squadron at RAF White Waltham in 1962.

This is what the aircraft should look like.
EA98EDC6-E378-4C6C-8089-3984EC55E728.jpeg
This is the aircraft we took delivery of.
34E142C6-146A-4FF2-BC04-27F2CC4659D6.jpeg
3DC0F697-413A-40A5-B0ED-01560655B330.jpeg
As you can see, we have our work cut out.
I hope to be able to publish pictures as the restoration progresses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

StoneRoad
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
My top chap: private
Favorite Aircraft: Spruce Goose
Favourite Book: can't choose just one
Quote: Forewarned is forearmed

Re: Restoring an Avro Hanson

Post by StoneRoad » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Good Show ... !

Looking forward to watching the restoration, professional interest, you might say.
Although I don't "do" aircraft, pretty much anything else that'll fit into the workshop and is timber based* ...

{*one of the reasons for the "shavings" bit of my journal ...}
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

kylie_koyote
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
My top chap: Ginger
Favourite Book: Fails to Return
Quote: Aim high.

Post by kylie_koyote » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:41 am

Wow! That looks like a great project!
"For goodness sake stop that Yankee drawl, or you'll have us all doing it before you've finished."
"OK baby - sorry - I mean, righto."
"That's better."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Post by Kismet » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Are you tempted to get your hands mucky joining in the restoration, Fairblue?
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

auster_aiglet
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Favorite Aircraft: Chipmunk

Post by auster_aiglet » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:24 pm

Would that have belonged to Air Atlantique's Classic Flight, FB? I know they had a number of old aircraft and I think that included at least one Anson.

Myles

Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
My top chap: WEJ
Favorite Aircraft: Concorde
Quote: Always be sincere, whether you mean it or not.

Post by 266 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi FB, this is a great project. I spent 10 years helping to restore an Anson, which now flies in New Zealand. Will follow your restoration with interest.

For a bit of background, the Avro 652 started as a civilian aircraft, then a light bomber, then a reconnaissance aircraft, and finally - and overwhelmingly - as a trainer. Probably 90% of the 11,000 Ansons were trainers, and still being built as such into the 1950's. Imagine, Avro producing Ansons and Vulcans at the same time! A remarkable aircraft.
1aa.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie

Post by Fairblue » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:26 am

Kismet wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:06 pm
Are you tempted to get your hands mucky joining in the restoration, Fairblue?
No, my fascination with them doesn’t stretch that far, I’m afraid.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Tiffinata
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Favorite Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup

Post by Tiffinata » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:50 am

I shall look forward to seeing it one day.

Return to “Aircraft, Aviation, Transport”