RPG mess abouts. A place to be creative
Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Algy gets Married. A never-ending rpg part 8

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 am

There was a companionable silence at the breakfast table in Mount Street. Only Biggles and Algy were there, Bertie and Ginger having gone on an early patrol together. Mrs Symes bustled in, replaced the old cold teapot for a fresh hot one and dropped a pile of envelopes by Biggles' plate.

"Mostly bills, Major," she said, apologetically, 'although there is one there for the Captain."

Biggles thanked her, fished out the one for Algy and looked at the envelope with interest.

"A solicitor's letter," he remarked casually, handing it over. "Which maiden Aunt has died and left you all her money?"

Algy grinned as he opened the envelope. "I don't know which of...." The next minute he had turned a deathly white and his hand trembled.

"Are you all right?" Biggles asked, with some concern.

"No," Algy managed to get out, his voice barely a whisper. "It..it's from the solicitor of Clara Pottington-Hughes, you know, the girl with a voice like a cheese grater and a face like a horse. Doesn't believe in bathing either. Thinks it gets rid of your natural oils or some such nonsense."

Biggles nodded. He knew her or rather, more of her than he really wanted to. She was only tolerated in the highest society because her father was an Earl and she happened to be one of the richest women in the country.

"What about her?" Biggles asked cautiously. By the looks of it, it was bad news for Algy. Was he being sued?

"It seems...." Algy's hands started to tremble again, "that her father and my mother......arranged for us to be betrothed at her birth and now she's...she's claiming me."
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Re: Re: Algy gets Married. A never-ending rpg part 8

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:35 pm

'She can't do anything if you don't consent,' Biggles said urgently. 'Tell her 'no' and we'll try and find an alternative husband for her. Wilks isn't married and he wants to start an airline. Maybe he'll be interested.'
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:53 pm

"Here, you read it," Algy passed the letter over to Biggles. "Her solicitor seems to think there's some obscure law which applies." He took a long drink of his tea. "God, I wish it wasn't breakfast time. I need something stronger...a lot stronger."
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Biggles fetched the brandy and fortified Algy's tea. After a moment's thought, he fortified his own. He made a note of the law which the letter referred to. 'I think we better consult a lawyer, old chap.'
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:05 pm

“Definitely. And immediately. Surely in this day and age this sort of thing can’t be enforced?” Algy looked wild-eyed .

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:22 pm

Biggles patted him on the back with the hand holding a slice of buttered toast, a measure of how disturbed he was. 'I hope not, old chap,' he said hollowly.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Algy immediately rang the London branch of the family solicitors and arranged to see him straight away.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:43 pm

'Come with me,' he begged Biggles. 'I need your help. I can't think straight.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:07 pm

“No, I imagine you can’t,” Biggles sympathised. He wondered if he should suggest Algy ring his mother, or father, but decided that perhaps that wasn’t a good idea just yet.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:34 pm

To Algy's and Biggles's joint horror, when they walked into the solicitor's office later that day, both Lord and Lacey were sitting there, too.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:38 pm

“Algernon, darling,” his mother gushed. She spied Biggles behind him. “James, this is a private family business. I’m sure you’ll understand.”

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 pm

"Biggles is here because I asked him. He's staying," announced Algy firmly. Biggles knew, from long experience, that when Algy used that tone of voice, it was pointless arguing with him. He'd simply go ahead and do things his way regardless of what anyone said.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Lady Lacey opened her mouth to say something, but one look from her son and she subsided.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:06 pm

The solicitor entered the room, fussily apologising for not having been there to greet them. He picked up a letter that lay on his desktop. "I take it you are here to discuss the terms of the Honourable Algernon's forthcoming nuptials?"

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:14 pm

'I'm here to find a way to break it,' Algy told the solicitor before his parents could say anything.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:33 pm

“No, Algernon, darling, “ his mother cried, “you can’t. It’s been one of my dearest wishes.”

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 pm

'You'll get over it,' Algy promised.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:45 pm

The solicitor *ahemed* the party into paying him attention. When he was satisfied that everyone was looking at him, he took up another piece of paperwork from his desk.

“I have received this missive today from the firm of Solicitors instructed by the Lady Clara, Messrs Screwem, Goode and Harde,” he began. “The letter clearly expresses the wishes of the Lady Clara to fulfil the obligation laid upon her by her father, the Earl of Maydon and your mother, Lady Lacey.”

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Algy edged a little closer to Biggles who looked encouragingly at him. 'I don't give my consent,' he stated firmly.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:07 pm

"Algernon, I gave my consent at the time," Lady Lacey stated regally.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:19 pm

'Surely, now Algy is legally adult, he would have to consent himself,' Biggles pointed out.'I think you can only consent on his behalf when he is a minor.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:26 pm

"I can't think why Algernon is being difficult. It's an eminently suitable match," Lady Lacey replied, ignoring her nephew's observations.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:02 am

'This is very difficult,' smiled the solicitor happily, as difficult usually meant very good income source in his line of work. 'If Mr Lacey really doesn't want to agree to this, I shall have to consult to see if it is actually possible for him to refuse.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 am

Lady Lacey exclaimed "No, you can't!" at the same time as Algy said, "Good! Go ahead."
Lord Lacey looked dismayed. He could see this costing lots of mullah.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:45 am

Algy, his point made, stood up. He looked at the solicitor. "Who are you Acting for? My parents, or me?"

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”