RPG mess abouts. A place to be creative
Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Biggles and the Fast Track Trainee

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Unfortunately, his Uncle chose that time to visit and, upon hearing from the nurses the the had wanted to discharge himself, insisted on taking Horace home with him.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
My top chap: Biggles
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Biggles, meanwhile, had found the cellar Consuelo had described. He found a torch in a kitchen drawer and began navigating his way down the stairs. Once in the cellar, he began looking for the coal chute - which wasn't difficult to find, given the amount of coal piled in a large container beneath a black opening in the cellar wall.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:33 pm

He looked at the pile of coal warily. He would have to climb it to reach the wooden doors that covered the opening. It wasn't very big but he would get black and filthy. Still, there was nothing else for it, so he started to scramble up the black mound.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:41 pm

He had almost reached the top when the coal beneath his feet began to move.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Biggles regained his feet at the bottom of the pile scowling as he removed a sharp shard from under his knee and climbed up the coal pile once more.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:01 pm

He finally reached the top. A bolt secured the two slanting wooden doors which covered the entrance to the coal chute. He slipped it across and pushed firmly.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:21 pm

There was something on top. A large plant pot, Biggles thought, judging by the weight of it. He braced himself on the coalpile, pushed hard and slid to the bottom again.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:42 pm

“Blow this for a fool’s game,” he snarled. He looked around to see I found there was anything lying about the cellar that he could use to force open the chute doors.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:10 pm

It was a coal cellar with very limited light. Biggles couldn't see anything.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:30 pm

He had lost the torch he'd found earlier when he lost his footing and fell from the top of the coal pile. Now he scrambled around in the dark trying to find the torch. He pulled his lighter from his pocket and flicked it on.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:45 pm

Only for it to flicker and die as the battery gave up.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:54 pm

Biggles ground his teeth in frustration. He moved a step forward and felt something crunch under his foot. He groaned as he realised he had just stood on the torch.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:57 pm

He made his way as best he could back to the kitchen. There was probably something there he could use.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:02 pm

In one of the pantries he found a supply of candles and matches. Choosing one decent candle and pocketing two boxes of matches, he returned to the cellar.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:16 pm

A distant voice could be heard hailing him. "Hi, Biggles, the coast is clear. Ginger reported that whoever it was legged it and was picked up by a car further down the road. Biggles? Can you hear me?"

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:56 pm

Biggles pretended that he couldn't hear, slipped back into the cellar, broke out of it and returned as if making a rescue.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:00 am

Algy took one look at him and burst into laughter. Biggles was black from head to toe, except for his face, which had streaks on his cheeks.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:16 am

Consuelo ordered Biggles back outside to be hosed down before he could return into the house. Her daughter happily turned the tap on whilst Ginger ran for clean clothes and towels from the spare bedroom.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:26 am

"You should be lying down," Biggles told her. Consuelo was still wearing the makeshift sling and Biggles was acutely aware she must be in pain. Mr Berger would be fretting to go to see his son too.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:34 am

'Not yet,' Consuelo insisted. 'You will quickly get clean and take us to where we need to go. You cannot go anywhere looking like a chimney sweep.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:06 am

Biggles winced as the cold water hit him. So forceful was the water from the hose that at one point he was knocked flat. He had insisted on having a hot shower afterwards, in spite of Consuelo's assertions he did not need it.

"I will need it to warm me up again," he had argued. "It's not open to debate."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Warmed up, Biggles quickly dressed in the t shirt, sweater and jeans provided. The fit wasn't quite right. He suspected he was in the daughter's clothes rather than a spare set of Mr Berger's as he had expected. Still, a quick glance in the mirror assured him that he looked alright. Time to get Consuelo to hospital and Mr Berger to the airport to catch a plane to London then he could turn his attention back to his errant trainee.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:06 pm

"I thought you would fly Mr Berger to London yourself," Consuelo said as she was guided to the car. "I will be all right once I have seen a doctor."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:36 pm

'I only left hospital today,' Biggles pointed out 'after being shot by you. My plane went up in flames and I don't know what conditions the other Auster is currently in. I think Mr Berger will get there faster on a commercial flight. Ginger can go with him and then go onto the office whilst we finish up here.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Algy ran up and climbed in the driving seat before Biggles could get to it. "You shouldn't be driving," he told Biggles sternly as Biggles protested. "Now either shut up and get in or go away."

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”