Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Unlikely Lines to Read in a Biggles Book

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Postby Tommy Smith » 24 Feb 2014, 16:16

"Hemplethway....Habblethwaip....Hefflethwayte... Gott im Himmel!!!"

"Hethelth..."
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 24 Feb 2014, 22:34

"Ee bah gum, Hebblethick lad" ", said Von Stalheim, throwing his flat cap for his whippet to retrieve " thou'st got a reet gradley bunch of chaps with thee nowadays"
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Postby Kismet » 24 Feb 2014, 23:17

T'owd chap's wick but young un's mard like.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 25 Feb 2014, 10:00
Kismet wrote: T'owd chap's wick but young un's mard like.

Just put this through Google translate into French, but still sounds 'northern' English [i.e. TV show All Creatures Great & Small dialect, lol]:

La mèche de chap T'owd mais le mard de jeune non comme.

But I'm guessing [in Ozzie English] we have: 'Strewth, the old bloke's bonza, but the ankle biter is as mad as a meat pie!"

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Postby SaintedAunt » 25 Feb 2014, 10:19

Hate to say this, but there's really no such thing as 'northern' English ;) Yorkshire is different from Northumberland is different from Cumberland is different from Westmoreland, etc. and as for Liverpool, Tyneside… :lol:

Anyway, don't all the young now speak TV, Txt, Twitter and Facebook 'English'? :twisted: Or will I bring down the wrath of our younger members :scared:

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby elderlyfemalerelativ » 25 Feb 2014, 12:07

Just to disparage Southeners as well as Northeners (as a Midlander, a benificent Providence has allowed me to look down on both)

"Oh Hebblers" gushed Von Stalhein "isn't Malozzo's re-creation of the big bang using pizza boxes and raspberry jus simply divine?. I pooped into Annabel's but the crowd weren't in, something about having to build a Spitfire out of re-cycled coffee grounds, so they missed the opening"

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby AusterAutocrat » 25 Feb 2014, 14:46

My contribution (though it has probably been said before):

Biggles smiled; a wide, happy smile - not at all wan or weak.
Biggles laughed! It was a cheerful laugh with a merry ring to it - not at all grim.
Biggles paid a long, sincere compliment. It was not at all sarcastic. He truly meant it.

Poor Biggles :) No offense!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:38 pm

by AusterAutocrat » 25 Feb 2014, 14:47

P.S.

ALGY: I hate sunflowers and geraniums.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Postby Kismet » 25 Feb 2014, 21:46

As we've been talking about cats...

Biggles gently poked the squadron cat with a ruler. Obligingly she rolled onto her back and wrapped all her paws around it, enabling him to quickly slide the next combat report out from the pile she was laid on with his other hand. He had learned the hard way not to put his hand anywhere near her claws, but the scars were fading and he now recognised when she required stroking.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Postby Kismet » 26 Feb 2014, 22:54

With a matryred sigh Biggles turned the supermarket trolley down his least favourite aisle. Algy wanted spray deodorant with a sandalwood fragrance, Ginger megahold hair gel. Bertie had asked for bath salts with a non-floral fragrance and he himself needed a thickening shampoo and conditioner.Worst of all, they had used all the condoms from the emergency kit as expandable water containers last time they were in the jungle and he really didn't like the way the young cashier looked at him when he bought replacements.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:39 pm

by AusterAutocrat » 26 Feb 2014, 23:01

Biggles (or any of the pilots): Hmm... There's a Hun. Oh look! It's firing at me. I think I'll let it shoot me down - it'd be jolly good fun. I've never been exploded before.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:41 pm

by The Professor » 26 Feb 2014, 23:20
AusterAutocrat wrote: Biggles (or any of the pilots): Hmm... There's a Hun. Oh look! It's firing at me. I think I'll let it shoot me down - it'd be jolly good fun. I've never been exploded before.

Just as an aside, there was a British officer called Adrian Carton de Wiart who did a lot of things (captured a German trench with a polo mallet, held off a Russian cavalry charge from the window of a train with a revolver, served in the Boer War, First World War, and Second World War; was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip, and ear; survived two plane crashes; tunnelled out of a POW camp; and bit off his own fingers when a doctor refused to amputate them. After all this, he still said "Frankly I had enjoyed the war.") and he is worth looking up, but I remember he was once thoroughly disappointed when a ship was sunk in the flotilla he was in and he wasn't on it- after all, he'd never been on a sinking ship before...

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Postby AusterAutocrat » 26 Feb 2014, 23:42

He sounds *slightly* bonkers :crazy: ... but seriously, Professeur, that's hilarious! :D

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 pm

by tiffinata » 27 Feb 2014, 01:10

"Geeze mate, I'm as dry as a limeburner's boot" remarked Tug. "I could murder a tinny of tonsil varnish"

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:49 pm

by OzBiggles1963 » 27 Feb 2014, 02:04
The Professor wrote:
AusterAutocrat wrote:
Biggles (or any of the pilots): Hmm... There's a Hun. Oh look! It's firing at me. I think I'll let it shoot me down - it'd be jolly good fun. I've never been exploded before.

Just as an aside, there was a British officer called Adrian Carton de Wiart who did a lot of things (captured a German trench with a polo mallet, held off a Russian cavalry charge from the window of a train with a revolver, served in the Boer War, First World War, and Second World War; was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip, and ear; survived two plane crashes; tunnelled out of a POW camp; and bit off his own fingers when a doctor refused to amputate them. After all this, he still said "Frankly I had enjoyed the war.") and he is worth looking up, but I remember he was once thoroughly disappointed when a ship was sunk in the flotilla he was in and he wasn't on it- after all, he'd never been on a sinking ship before...

Wow, excellent!! If you wrote a story detailing these events people would say it was fabricated rubbish, lol. Truth is stranger than fiction! Or, what's the other quote I am thinking of....oh yes: "Mad Dogs & Englishmen, Go out in the midday sun etc". ;)

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 pm

Postby OzBiggles1963 » 27 Feb 2014, 02:14
The Professor wrote: .....Just as an aside, there was a British officer called Adrian Carton de Wiart who did a lot of things (captured a German trench with a polo mallet, held off a Russian cavalry charge from the window of a train with a revolver, served in the Boer War, First World War, and Second World War; was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip, and ear; survived two plane crashes; tunnelled out of a POW camp; and bit off his own fingers when a doctor refused to amputate them. After all this, he still said "Frankly I had enjoyed the war.") and he is worth looking up, but I remember he was once thoroughly disappointed when a ship was sunk in the flotilla he was in and he wasn't on it- after all, he'd never been on a sinking ship before...

Just read the Wikipedia entry for Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO (5 May 1880 – 5 June 1963).
He also rose to the rank of Lieutenant-General.....an amazing life & career indeed [off to do some more reading], thanks for the heads up Professor! :D

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 pm

by Fairblue » 27 Feb 2014, 11:47

Algy sidled up to Biggles desk where Biggles was engaged in looking through various pilots licence applications. He cleared his throat.
"Er, Biggles, do you remember when you were stranded in the Malayan jungle with a bunch of archeological students?"
"How could I forget it?" growled Biggles.
"Well, um, - you'll Also remember I dropped a few packets of fags in case you'd run out"
"What of it?" He glared at his second-in-command.
"Well, I've just got my bill from the Aero club and it's rather high this month. I was wondering if you could reimburse me."

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Postby SaintedAunt » 27 Feb 2014, 13:38

Biggles slowly sipped his coffee, a gentle spiral of smoke curling into the air from his cigarette. He peered at his brandy glass, and then his companion's.

"Empty - could manage another," Erich von Stalhein looked at Biggles hopefully.

Biggles smiled and caught the sommelier's eye. "Same again, please."

"Next one's on me", Erich declared, as a fine cognac was brought to their table.

Two glasses later, Erich frowned, trying to remember what he had been going to show Biggles. "I'm sure I had something to show you,' he muttered, feeling in all his pockets. A letter fell out with an English stamp. He looked at it doubtfully.

"Something interesting?" Biggles asked, lighting another cigarette.

"Not really. Just a letter I had from an old flame. Maris Janis - you may remember her?"

"Oh, vaguely," Biggles replied dismissively as he caught the sommelier's eye once more. "same again, please."

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:53 pm

Postby Kismet » 28 Feb 2014, 18:55

'Have you bought a new book?' said Algy casually as Biggles walked through the door of the flat and removed his hat and raincoat, revealing a rectangular bulge in his jacket pocket.

'Er, yes' replied Biggles somewhat shiftily 'The daffodils looked lovely on my way home. So nice that spring is here'.

Algy agreed and watched Biggles under his lashes throughout the evening. Biggles didn't seem to be concentrating on the conversation properly, and unusually, the book remained in his pocket, distorting the fit of the jacket. Algy started to become very curious about the contents of that pocket.

Finally Biggles yawned theatrically and announced he was having an early night. Making sure he could be heard, Algy puttered around his own bedtime routine, but as he firmly closed his bedroom door with a click, he silently opened it again.

He gave Biggles half an hour, then slid quietly out of his room and paused at Biggles's door, noting that the bedroom lamp was on. He gripped the door handle, took a breath and flung himself into the room before Biggles could conceal what he was reading. Algy started laughing.

'Really, Biggles? Georgette Heyer?'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Postby SaintedAunt » 28 Feb 2014, 19:34

The only real clues WEJ gives us as to what sort of fiction Biggles likes to read are in the WWI story 'On leave' when Biggles is reading a Sabatini novel (romance and adventure according to Wikipedia!) borrowed from his host's library, and in Goes to School when Biggles tells his headmaster he has read some detective stories.

Or… was there a saucy one mentioned in Flies Again called 'Three weeks'?

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Postby Kismet » 28 Feb 2014, 23:27

[quote"SaintedAunt"]
The only real clues WEJ gives us as to what sort of fiction Biggles likes to read are in the WWI story 'On leave' when Biggles is reading a Sabatini novel (romance and adventure according to Wikipedia!) borrowed from his host's library, and in Goes to School when Biggles tells his headmaster he has read some detective stories.

I believe that I've read Three Weeks was quite an adult novel for the time, but I've not actually read the book to know its contents and I hadn't even noticed the Sabatini reference!

I think he thumbs through a well worn copy of a risque magazine in the mess of 266 squadron at one point, but again I've not seen a copy to be familiar with the contents.

Where's Elderly Female Relative? She seems to know a lot about old books.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Postby Fairblue » 01 Mar 2014, 00:20
Kismet wrote:
SaintedAunt wrote:

I believe that I've read Three Weeks was quite an adult novel for the time, but I've not actually read the book to know its contents and I hadn't even noticed the Sabatini reference!

I think he thumbs through a well worn copy of a risque magazine in the mess of 266 squadron at one point, but again I've not seen a copy to be familiar with the contents.

Where's Elderly Female Relative? She seems to know a lot about old books.
It never occurred to me before to wonder what 'Three Weeks' was about, but I've just now googled it and it's been described in Wikipedia as an 'erotic romance novel' . Probably quite tame by today's standards. But that's as far as my homework is going to go. One has to ask if Biggles actually knew the contents of the novel when he left it with Ivan, the irony being that he was stranding Ivan on the island for three weeks.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Postby SaintedAunt » 02 Mar 2014, 10:49

Algy and Smyth joined Dickpa in front of the Inca Sun God. "Are you sure it's too heavy?" Algy enquired.

"Yes."

Smyth made a suggestion. "Mebbe we could cut it into sections, sir, and then reassemble it at home."

Dickpa shook his head. "Still too heavy for the Condor."

"Well we'll just have to make do with some of these trinkets for now," sighed Algy, putting some golden ornaments in his haversack and handing Smyth a carved peacock.

"Algy you mustn't do that!" Biggles exclaimed in horror. "They all have to be numbered and a note made of where we found them and how they lay and… and all sorts. I read it in an article by some expert called Lycaea."

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Postby Kismet » 02 Mar 2014, 14:21

Biggles stretched out a little further in his chair by the fire, soaking up the warmth.

'It's your birthday next week, old chap. Do you want me to bake you a cake?'

Algy brightened. Biggles was a very good baker: his cupcakes were legendary at the Yard. What should he choose? A Victoria sandwich with home made strawberry jam and thick cream? The beautifully moist cherry and coconut cake? The amazing apple cake Biggles had picked up the recipe for in Norway during the war?

'How about that rich chocolate cake? The one with the chocolate ganache filling and smooth chocolate topping. And please can I have sprinkles?'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Postby Lycaea » 02 Mar 2014, 18:41
SaintedAunt wrote: Algy and Smyth joined Dickpa in front of the Inca Sun God. "Are you sure it's too heavy?" Algy enquired.

"Yes."

Smyth made a suggestion. "Mebbe we could cut it into sections, sir, and then reassemble it at home."

Dickpa shook his head. "Still too heavy for the Condor."

"Well we'll just have to make do with some of these trinkets for now," sighed Algy, putting some golden ornaments in his haversack and handing Smyth a carved peacock.

"Algy you mustn't do that!" Biggles exclaimed in horror. "They all have to be numbered and a note made of where we found them and how they lay and… and all sorts. I read it in an article by some expert called Lycaea."

Don’t forget to make a sketch of the artefacts in situ, Biggles!!

About time he picked up some decent digging habits, really…

Lycaea, a.k.a. The Avenging Archaeologist

Ps. I rather like Georgette Heyer, she writes with a certain sense of humour.

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”