RPG mess abouts. A place to be creative
Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Re: Biggles and the Charity Walk

Post by Kismet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:35 pm

'My way, then, if you don't mind,' the cameraman apologised. 'Mo is pretty keen to have footage from your walk. Knowledge of your participation has stirred up a lot of positive interest. Sorry that the demands of filming are getting in the way of you actually stretching your legs.'

Biggles sipped some more brandy from his Camel Back and nodded graciously as the little vehicle drove them three miles to the next filming point.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Post by Fairblue » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:07 pm

The day wore on. Every time Biggles was fed up with having to do the same thing over and over and was tempted to tell the camera crew to shove off, he remembered what the alternative could have been and bit his tongue. A little annoying drizzle turned into a full-blown rainstorm at about 4 pm and put an end to that day's activities.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:40 pm

A very nice afternoon tea in a very nice cafe cheered Biggles up and he was in a suprisingly good mood as they stepped onto the ferry back to the mainland.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:46 pm

"Well, that was easy," he enthused."I wonder if tomorrow will be as easy?"
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:30 pm

'I hope so,' Algy drawled. 'Where are we going next?'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:13 pm

"Your next island, gentleman, will be Lindisfarne - and you will walk across the Coast to Coast path to get there," Raymond's uncompromising voice broke their pleasant camaraderie. "The object of this venture is to w.a.l.k. I've told the camera crew they can film you setting off around the headland at St Bees and then they can catch you up in Grasmere, Shap, Richmond and Robin Hood's Bay. I've worked out your itinerary and made all your accommodation bookings."

To Biggles' (and everyone's) dismay Raymond produced a thick document wallet containing their agendas.
Biggles glanced at the first sheet and looked up at Raymond incredulously. "You expect us to walk across the country in 12 days!!"

StoneRoad
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
My top chap: private
Favorite Aircraft: Spruce Goose
Favourite Book: can't choose just one
Quote: Forewarned is forearmed

Post by StoneRoad » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:22 pm

"First of all, how do we get from Heysham to St Bees ?" asked Ginger, somewhat apprehensively.
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Biggles shuddered inwardly as they all waited for Raymond's reply. Surely he wasn't going to expect them to walk.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:00 pm

'There's a train,' Raymond reluctantly confessed, 'and sometimes it runs, though not usually when timetabled and the Saturday night one has been known to go back to its starting point rather than do the expected journey. Landslips are a bit of a hazard but there's often a replacement bus.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:09 am

The Air Police gave a collective shudder. Public transport!! What would Raymond pull next?

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:43 pm

The train journey was interesting. Especially the part where the tracks went over a beach and the tide was in, waves driven by the wind lashing over the low viaduct.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:03 pm

Finally they arrived at St Bees and discovered they had to walk a few hundred metres up the road to their B&B farm house. The camera crew were waiting for them, As was their hostess - and Raymond.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:00 pm

"Welcome, gentlemen'" Raymond beamed at them. "I've decided to accompany you on the Coast to Coast walk. The Cameraman informs me that we may have to do some stretches twice, once to get camera shots and again to do the actual walk, but that shouldn't be a problem."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:25 am

'No sir!' Biggles said weakly. Bang went his unlimited brandy to make the walk tolerable and in came meagre sips. He didn't want his boss to ground him.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:30 am

Biggles went to bed that night trying to think of ways out of the situation he found himself in. Wild ideas of sabotaging the camera equipment, or Raymond, or feigning sickness himself sprang to his mind. There had to be a way, he told himself. There always was.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:47 am

Biggles had eaten his breakfast and was on his way with fake cheer plastered over his face without having thought of anything. It was a steep haul up the Head. He paused by the old wartime look out station and shuddered at the thought of walking up in blackout conditions and a winter storm. Gritting his teeth, he walked back down for the camera crew. And again. His calf muscles were screaming and it was seven miles to Whitehaven.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:51 am

He kept a keen eye on the Air Commodore. He could have sworn that Raymond didn't do any regular exercise at all and looked for signs of him faltering.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:02 am

There were none. Raymond looked to be as fit as a fiddle and as merry as a grig. Whatever a grig might be, Biggles wondered, momentarily diverted. Sighing, he went down the steep bit again. It had started to rain and was now greasily slippery. Biggles had seen the rocks beneath and had a good idea of how cold the water was, so he abandoned all thoughts of staging an 'accident.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:08 am

The cameraman thought extra shots of them all climbing up to the lighthouse would make good footage. Biggles actually lost count of the number of times they walked up the path and paused to read the information board. They were due to overnight in Moor Row and Biggles had begun to despair of actually reaching their destination when he heard the welcoming sound of a helicopter. But this was merely to pick up the camera crew who could not be expected to carry their equipment the entire distance.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:07 am

Wild thoughts of insisting on flying the helicopter himself on the grounds of versimilitude entered his head, but a few seconds of rational thought made him realise that he wouldn't get away with it. Raymond was already telling him to get a move on a it looked like heavy rain coming on and he didn't want to get caught up in it.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:07 pm

Calling Algy down from the disused foghorn station where he was posing looking out to sea for the camera - Mo knew how women felt about Algy and had told the camera crew to make sure they got lots of good pictures of him - Biggles set off once again, up the track to Sandwith. The rain came down heavily and he put his head down.

A couple of hours later, they were surprised to find themselves once more in St Bees.

(Can I say how amused I am that two Australians, one American, one person living in Scotland and another in the north of England (the most regular contributors to the rpgs) all know the village I live in and are featuring it in a rpg!)

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:48 pm

"Are you sure that it was the Air Commodore and not Ginger who was reading the map?" Algy asked, really annoyed. He hadn't been pleased to wave the camera crew off in their helicopter, either.

StoneRoad
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
My top chap: private
Favorite Aircraft: Spruce Goose
Favourite Book: can't choose just one
Quote: Forewarned is forearmed

Post by StoneRoad » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Ginger looked across towards the café "I can see if it is open for tea, sandwiches and cakes, if you like" he suggested hopefully.
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:17 pm

"Yes," Biggles decided, not waiting for the Air Commodore to speak. It was his walk anyway.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Biggles pulled out the map detailing Day One's section of the walk and after a good look, soon realised they'd turned right at a crucial point, thus completing a circle rather than taking the route that would have brought them to Moor Row. The Air Commodore was rather silent as he sipped his cup of tea and gazed contemplatively down the street.

"Perhaps you'd better take charge of the maps and compass, Bigglesworth," he conceded. Then he rose and shouldered his very light day pack (a much smaller variety than each of theirs was, Biggles noted sourly). "Well, we are due in Moor Row tonight so we'd better head off again."

(And can I say, Kismet, as one of those Australians, how much we loved St Bees and the train trip to reach there from Carlisle.

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”