RPG mess abouts. A place to be creative
Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Re: Biggles and the Charity Walk

Post by Kismet » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:02 am

A couple of men in well worn but expensive gear walked through the door and nodded to the woman in charge of the hostel who was acting as occasional brew maker whilst doing her accounts.

'Morning, Dot,' they greeted her. 'One of your lot has slipped and needs finding. The girl with him is inexperienced and has no idea where they are and her phone is out of battery. What can you tell us about where people were planning to be today?'
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:22 am

Biggles looked at the others, then stood up and approached the man.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:35 am

He waited whilst Dot ran through the register, listing possible names and their walking / climbing routes. Biggles had thought the requirement to say where he was going each day nothing more than bureaucracy, but now realised that it was quite literally a matter of life and death. A man carrying logs to the woodburner was called over to see if he could help narrow down who the inexperienced girl and her partner were.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:00 am

They were total strangers, ill-equipped and not at all the sort of people who he would have taken for serious walkers.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:09 am

Biggles hadn't really thought that there were any mountains in England big enough to be dangerous, but he perceived he was wrong, and so were a lot of walkers every year.

StoneRoad
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
My top chap: private
Favorite Aircraft: Spruce Goose
Favourite Book: can't choose just one
Quote: Forewarned is forearmed

Post by StoneRoad » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:25 am

The taller of the two men then suggested checking with some of the other groups to see if they had noticed the missing couple, or could maybe see them. He knew they might be able rule out certain directions that way. His companion muttered something about there being a huge area to cover, although if the missing couple had walked relatively slowly that would reduce the range somewhat.
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Biggles looked one final time at the atrocious weather conditions outside and asked if he and his friends could be of help. He couldn't see a helicopter being deployed in such conditions, but if there was a break, the mysterious chopper might appear and he would be on the spot to observe it.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:17 pm

“Not sure how you can,” the man said, eyeing Biggles speculatively. “This murk doesn’t look like lifting ,and with all due respect, we don’t want to have to send out a search party for you.”

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 pm

Biggles was rather miffed but glad to stay inside. He asked the men to look out for a helicopter and to ask the rest of the team to do so.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:00 am

“ ow why would you be interested in a helicopter.” The man eyed Biggles suspiciously.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:03 am

Biggles pulled his id from his pocket and showed it to the mountain rescuers. 'It's my job,' he said briefly.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 am

“Oh. Well, in that case....” the man hesitated and looked at his companions, who nodded.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:20 am

'Stay with me and do what I tell you and you can come along. I'll give you five minutes to get booted up and into your wet weather gear and then we'll have to make a start on the search.' Biggles, who understood the importance of following orders and listening to experts, nodded and hastened to his room, closely followed by the others.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:23 am

Five minutes later they were all standing outside. Algy was munching on a scone he had snatched from the table as he followed Biggles.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:37 am

They all piled into the Mountain Rescue Landrover and headed off into the mountains. Ginger wriggled under the pile of gear he was sharing a seat with and hoped they weren't going far.

Tiffinata
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Favorite Aircraft: Beaufighter and Pup

Post by Tiffinata » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:54 am

It was far enough that his legs went to sleep under him

StoneRoad
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
My top chap: private
Favorite Aircraft: Spruce Goose
Favourite Book: can't choose just one
Quote: Forewarned is forearmed

Post by StoneRoad » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:17 pm

And despite the uncomfortable and cramped nature of his position, the rest of Ginger soon followed. Even when the Landrover left the metalled track and went onto a rough and rutted farm track, he barely stirred.
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:29 pm

There was a break in the cloud when they stopped where the farm track petered out. Bertie poked Ginger awake and they all scrambled out, to stand on the rough, rocky ground. Around them, were rocks boggy patches and sheep. A small stream could be heard, falling over nearby stones and above them the fells loomed, stark and steep.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Biggles stood, looking around the bleak landscape. He was more used to seeing it from above. He turned to the leader of the group.

"Right, what's the next move?"

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:22 pm

The mountain rescue leader started pulling gear from the back of the Landrover. 'We get ready whilst the others arrive.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:30 pm

"After that," Biggles responded a little testily.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:45 pm

Another Landrover filled with Mountain Rescue volunteers arrived and Biggles found out what happened next as the team leader briefed everyone. They were all going to start up the mountain together and then split into teams to search the likeliest locations for the injured man. Biggles and his men were warned to stay close to the Leader. 'We don't want to stretcher more than one off this Mountain,' he joked grimly.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:08 am

The next two hours were grim. The thick fog hung around thrm like a blanket. Unable to spot anyone at a distance every little nook and cranny had to be explored in case the injured man had crawled inside for shelter. The rocks were wet and slippy. Biggles couldn't help but admire the men who did this sort of thing as a matter of course.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:16 am

Finally, their luck changed. A middle-aged couple, well equipped for the weather, met them. A bedraggled and upset girl was with them. They were able to pinpoint exactly where the injured man was on the mountain side and had left two of their party with him. The girl was handed over to the Mountain Rescuers, two of whom began measures to warm her up before getting her down to the Land Rovers. Biggles, with permission, ordered Ginger to help.

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”