RPG mess abouts. A place to be creative
Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Biggles and the Charity Walk

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:01 pm

"What about Skye?" Algy murmured. "Do we walk across the bridge, turn left, walk around the island and cross the bridge again?"
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:06 pm

'Not on your nellie,' Biggles gasped. 'Do you know how far it is around Skye?' He bent over the map with Algy. There were lots of big fat mountains that he did not want to climb, but even he felt that a gentle stroll across the bridge and back was probably not enough.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:09 pm

They put that under 'queries' and moved on.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Biggles discovered that many of the islands had visitor websites. This made life much easier. He ticked boxes suggesting 'easy walks' and '5-10 miles' then scrolled through the suggestions.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:09 pm

Some of these, though, were cross-country which had to be ruled out.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:07 pm

'We only need to get the first couple of walks sorted,' Biggles pointed out. 'It will be easy enough to decide on the walks day by day in the hotels. What we have to do is get ferry crossings identified and hotels booked. We better hire a minibus for driving about in and I suppose we ought to get some walking boots. Do we need anything else?'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:29 pm

"Ginger will probably need a whistle, map, compass, GPS torch, hypothermia blanket and kendal mint cake," Algy grinned, "just in case."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Biggles agreed and decided there should be an office outing to an outdoor clothing supplier. He wanted new thermals if he had to go to Scotland and he suspected that his mackintosh would only keep off London rain and not the nasty, persistent Northern sort.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:27 pm

"We'll also need a decent, light-weight day pack each. You can get those ones that you can put a water bladder into," Ginger suggested when further discussions were held. "I rather like the Camel Back types."

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:11 pm

"You're going on a charity walk, not climbing Mt Everest," Biggles declared. "We do have a budget, you know."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:22 pm

'You don't have put water into them,' Bertie pointed out. 'You can fill them with something to keep the cold out.'

Biggles perked up at this suggestion. Filling the Camel Back with brandy might help considerably.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Kismet wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:22 pm
Filling the Camel Back with brandy might help considerably.
:imao: :imao: :imao:

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:37 am

Biggles thoroughly enjoyed his shop. He got thermal underwear, thin fleeces, outer fleeces, breathable waterproof jacket and over trousers, a new bobble hat, special wicking walking socks, the very latest in high tech, light weight boots, a pad to keep in his pocket which would warm his hands when he pressed a button, a lightweight daypack with camel pack, a lightweight first aid pack, a plastic cover to keep his map dry and a lanyard to hang it around his neck, a pair of gloves thin enough to operate his phone through and three books on walking around the British isles.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:48 am

He was quite surprised to learn that thousands of people flocked to the UK each year simply to walk various sections of it. He commented on this to Algy.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:01 am

"Not everyone has such an aversion to walking as you," Algy replied, shrugging. "Timson, in Art and Antiquities, goes out walking when he's not working. His holiday was spent walking in the Lake District last year."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:34 pm

Biggles thought all the Art and Antiquity Department peculiar and said so. They'd been over exposed to chemicals in paint and it had permanently addled their brains.

'But never mind that,' he sighed. 'We have to drive up north tomorrow and catch the ferry from Liverpool to the Isle of Man.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 pm

"When are the TT races being held?" asked Ginger hopefully. "Are we likely to see anything interesting?"

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:58 pm

"No, they're not until next month, thank goodness," Biggles replied, not pointing out he'd already checked that and had had the Isle of Man put first on his itinerary to make absolutely sure the races were to be avoided.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:22 am

"Never mind, old lad," consoled Bertie, who had also wondered if they might have been lucky enough to be there for the lead up to the racing, "I'm sure we'll find something interesting. Who knows, we might stumble across some juicy mystery just waiting for us to solve it!"

StoneRoad
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
My top chap: private
Favorite Aircraft: Spruce Goose
Favourite Book: can't choose just one
Quote: Forewarned is forearmed

Post by StoneRoad » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:11 am

Finally, all the Manx preparations made, they made their way to the docks. "Mannan ahoy" said Algy looking across the loading dock. "She's a fast cat, we should be in Douglas within three hours"
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:21 am

"I don't like the look of those clouds," Ginger complained."I don't fancy walking in the rain."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:58 am

'You won't melt,' Biggles told him, who was thinking precisely the same.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:23 am

Once on board the cat, they found a quiet spot to study their map of the Isle. Biggles had already sketched out a plan for their first day's walking which he had calculated on distances between pubs, teahouses, villages and all likely spots where they could purchase refreshments as they needed them. Biggles had thought this would be quite frequently. What he hadn't counted on was the film crew that had arrived ahead of them.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:42 pm

An hour later, and Biggles had found something he disliked more than walking. Not that he was doing much walking. Or rather he was walking over the same few yards so he could be filmed doing so from the front, from the rear and whilst leaning against a gate admiring the view. However, the film crew then told them to hop into their small, all terrain converted golf buggy so they could get to the next photo point.

'Sorry you can't actually do the walk, Inspector,' apologised the camera man, 'but we've not time to actually walk between the places we're going to film. You'll have to come back and do it another day.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:10 pm

"Oh, no," Biggles was firm. "We only have a limited amount of time for this and our timetable is pretty tight. "Either I do it your way, or my way, but not both."

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”