RPG mess abouts. A place to be creative
Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Re: Biggles and the Charity Walk

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Algy shrugged. 'The locals run around here dressed as sheep. They follow different rules to the rest of us. The rain rots their brains. I think I did read that the re-opening of Carlisle airport had been delayed again, though, so the helicopter might not have come from there. Do you want me to hire a car and drive over to investigate?' he asked hopefully.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:24 am

Biggles thought about it. "I don't know. We could end up chasing our tails. If it is an illicit flight you'll have had that journey for nothing. I suppose it could even have flown in from London."
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:42 am

Biggles found a large map of the country and began drawing lines on it. They weren't on any direct flight paths that he could think of. 'Anything flying around here is a hire job,' he reflected. 'Looking at pipelines, filming for TV, forces exercises, private transport for businessmen. Let's see what flight paths have been filed.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:52 am

This took them the better part of the morning. The weather was dreadful and sitting in a hotel doing work which would normally have had them complaining suited them all down to the ground.

"I'm wondering if the Air Commodore didn't dare mention it because he thought there was a leak high in the chain of command and was relying on your inquisitiveness to pick it up," Algy said as he started to cross-reference flight plans against the map.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Biggles shrugged. 'I can't see anything that would account for a whirlybird being where we saw it. It's not as if they could rustle sheep with it. Let me think.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:49 am

Bertie looked thoughtful and then spoke up.

“There are a lot of sheep farms scattered around this area, old boy. I know it sounds far-fetched at first glance, but it might be worth asking around to see if any farmers are missing sheep.”

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:26 pm

'Farmers are always missing sheep,' Algy pointed out. 'Sheep are very stupid. Also, neighbouring farmers tag them with their colours if they think they can get away with it. The guv'nor was a JP and dealt with more sheep cases than anything else,' he added, seeing the others' faces.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:14 pm

"All true," agreed Bertie. "It's one of the reasons my guv'nor got rid of our sheep and stuck with prize bulls. But I was thinking of asking around to see if there was more of a recent pattern and more sheep missing than could be accounted for. Silly idea, I guess."

StoneRoad
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
My top chap: private
Favorite Aircraft: Spruce Goose
Favourite Book: can't choose just one
Quote: Forewarned is forearmed

Post by StoneRoad » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:24 pm

"Especially as some of the prize tups for the rare breeds are worth enormous amounts of money" Algy added, thoughtfully.
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Biggles looked surprised at this. "A helicopter could be used for spotting, I suppose," he murmured,"and pinpoint it for a ground force to move in. But I doubt very much if that was what Raymond wanted us to investigate."

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:04 pm

"What if the people behind it are rather high up the food chain?" put in Ginger. "And, if they're using helicopters, then that's our angle, isn't it?"

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:13 am

"It is, but I just don't see the Air Commodore taking part in this charade for a bit of sheep stealing, however lucrative."

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:03 pm

“It might only be the tip of a very nasty iceberg,” suggested Algy. “Nicking prize rams via a chopper might be just one string to a very lucrative bow.” He finished, mixing metaphors indifferently.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:39 pm

"It would have to be a very brave or foolish pilot to take a live ram in a chopper," Biggles remarked dryly.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:56 pm

“I don’t think you’re thinking his through, old top,”replied Bertie, hiding his exasperation. Biggles’ encyclopaedic knowledge of practically everything obviously did not extend to the transport methods used for livestock in extremely mountainous countries.

“I was reading an article about how the highland farmers in Papua New Guinea transport live pigs - very large pigs - in small aircraft and choppers. They tie them up securely. Been doing it for decades apparently. No reason why an enterprising sheep rustler couldn’t do that to smuggle prize rams away. And, as Algy suggested, we might have stumbled on a multi-faceted crooked aviation operation.”

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:30 pm

'How much is a sheep worth?' Biggles asked, puzzled. He did some googling. 'A lamb is usually under a hundred smackers. A prize ram for breeding fetches around £400, with the occasional one going above a thou. It's a rich man with a grudge who will be using a helicopter to rustle sheep rather than a quad bike or four by four.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:50 pm

Algy and Bertie looked at Biggles pityingly.

"The record for a ram for breeding purposes was £231,000," Algy enlightened him. "You can be sure that's one sheep that's not going to be turned into lamb chops."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:17 pm

'And they let something worth that much wander loose around the fells?' Biggles asked in amazement. 'What sort of ram is that? Where's it from?'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:48 pm

"It wouldn't need to run loose on the fella," Algy pointed out. "It need only be taken there from its pen by anyone who wanted to earn a few quid."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:59 pm

'It's a theory,' Biggles allowed, very dubiously. 'Let's not get too attached to it whilst we investigate further.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:10 am

"So what is the next step then?" Algy demanded.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:05 am

'A cuppa,' Biggles decided. 'Let's stop beating our brains for a few minutes then see if anything new strikes us. A rest often stimulates the old brain pan into cooking up something new.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 pm

"A cuppa for us coppers! Jolly good, old bean," agreed Bertie heartily.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 pm

Biggles enjoyed a good strong cup of tea whilst watching the rain lash against the window. Much of the view had disappeared under a thick mist. He was very happy to be shut inside and not walking.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:44 am

Algy ordered more cake and more tea, whole Biggles looked thoughtfully out of the window. He hoped that Biggles wasn't thinking of going out in that murk.

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”