RPG mess abouts. A place to be creative
Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Re: Biggles and the Charity Walk

Post by Kismet » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:07 pm

Bertie floated serenely in the pool whilst the others watched from a clubhouse window.

'He's not even swimming to keep warm!' Biggles exclaimed. 'There's something not right here.'
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Post by Fairblue » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:10 pm

He also noticed that there were more people in the pool than he would have expected. He strolled over to the reception desk and picked up a leaflet which gave details of the activities available to the guests.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:15 pm

Biggles read the salient points in the leaflet and burst out laughing. 'He's got us. The pool's heated. I'm going to join him. I think a lazy swim will sort out my poor aching muscles.'
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:54 pm

The others decided to join him. Soon, they were all swimming, racing against each other. At one point, Algy lay on his back, paddling gently with his hands. "If that was the Air Commodore in that chopper I'd have expected him to be here by now."
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:59 pm

'I'll find out when I go in. I'm about ready for some hot food and an early night.' Biggles hauled himself out of the pool and headed for the changing rooms.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:06 am

He had a shower in the changing rooms, allowing the hot water to run over his aching muscles. He got dressed and made his way over to Reception. The Air Commodore had not booked in.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:14 am

Biggles made his way to the bar. The Air Commodore wasn't there. He ordered a half pint of beer and asked the girl behind the bar if a helicopter had landed near Snap earlier.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:33 am

The girl said it had. It might have been the Mountain Rescue team. They flew over sometimes and since there was a Charity walk it was possible someone had got lost and needed assistance.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:39 am

Biggles thanked her and turned the subject. He wanted to think about what she had said. He couldn't recall any Mountain Rescue teams possessing the correct licences to fly in all weathers and evacuate wounded climbers. He thought they would have to call on the Coastguard or Air Ambulance or one of the Forces. Had the girl made a mistake or had he stumbled across an illicit operation masquerading as part of a Mountain Rescue team?

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:30 am

Biggles decided to join the others in the dining room for an enjoyable hot roast dinner with a good selection of wine to accompany it. He shared his concerns with the others who agreed there was a distinct possibility they may have stumbled on to an illicit operation.

Biggles was fairly silent throughout the meal, obviously deep in thought.

"You chaps remember how puzzled we've all been as to why Raymond wanted us to do the Coast to Coast instead of sticking to the islands? I'm beginning to wonder if the cunning old - er - " he glanced quickly at Ginger who made no attempt to hide his grin - " - if the Air Commodore wasn't suspicious of something and wanted us to be on the spot to check it out."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:15 pm

'You think we should stay here for an extra day to find out few things?' grinned Algy. 'That's all right by me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:05 pm

"Definitely," Biggles agreed. "We are policemen after all." He was positively euphoric.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Biggles put in a phone call to the company through which Raymond had organised their walk and soon had re-arranged their itinerary.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:16 pm

First of all, Biggles rang the local police, identified himself and asked for information on the local Mountain Rescue, adding that he'd like to speak to someone from the organisation.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:14 am

The person to whom he was directed seemed rather wary and quizzed Biggles as to his interest in their operation and his authority to "poke his nose in".

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:49 am

"As head of the Special Air Police I have the authority to poke my nose into anything aviation related," was Biggles' reply. "So would you please let me know what that helicopter was doing when it was flying I've?"

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Biggles got transferred to several departments before he ended up speaking to a Chief Inspector whose son was in a Mountain Rescue team. They were all volunteers, on call 24/7 everyday of the year, he learned. Penrith Mountain Rescue covered this area but there were several bases in the Lake District and some volunteers, who lived on the border of areas, belonged to more than one team. They were all experienced climbers, trained in first aid, and often included fully qualified doctors amongst their members.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Biggles tucked away this information for future reference

“And what about the helicopter pilots?” He asked when he could finally get a word in.

StoneRoad
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
My top chap: private
Favorite Aircraft: Spruce Goose
Favourite Book: can't choose just one
Quote: Forewarned is forearmed

Post by StoneRoad » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:08 pm

"Usually, we call on 22 sqn's sea kings for multiple people evacuations, or the Great North Air Ambulance for individuals with injuries that would be too difficult to carry down" replied the Penrith chief. "As far as I know, none of my regular team have anything better than air cadet age gliding wings"
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:02 pm

Biggles thanked him, consulted a map, and contacted representatives from the Keswick, Kirkby Stephen and Langdale/Ambleside Mountain rescues too, just to be sure that he had spoken to all who might possible know of a Mountain Rescue helicopter.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:45 pm

The story was pretty much the same there. Biggles looked at Algy, frustration on his face. "I'm going to contact Air Traffic Control at Carlisle. I want to know exactly whose responsible for this bit of Air Space."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Carlisle said it all depended. It wasn't usually them as they weren't a commercial airport. Try Leeds / Bradford or Newcastle.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:17 pm

"Depends on what?" Biggles demanded. "If it's not usually you, then that means it is occasionally you. I can send one of my men if you'd rather make it official."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:35 pm

'It will be us if we ever manage to recruit enough air traffic controllers to meet the shift requirements and get them up to speed here,' the voice explained. 'Until then it's not. By all means send some men across. It'll be nice to have someone new to talk to.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Biggles sighed. "What do you think, Algy? Either we have a helicopter flying without permission or submitting a flight plan, or whoever could give permission and has the filed flight plan isn't that obvious to us. What do you reckon?"

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”