RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Re: Biggles and the Charity Walk

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Fortunately, all went well and they reached Castlerigg stone circle without any misadventure and still in a reasonably, although spread out, group. Biggles was very pleased to throw himself to the ground beside the seemingly tireless Ginger and tear open his lunch ration pack.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Post by Kismet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:09 pm

The other half of the relay teams set off, Bertie loping along effortlessly and Algy doggedly trying to keep up. Biggles watched them out of sight as he ate his sandwiches then reluctantly joined the others to film their little points of views for Mo. Luckily, the nuns, the squaddies and the Cumbrian Police dressed as sheep were far more photogenic than Biggles and Ginger so they got off quite lightly and didn't have to re-run any bits of the course.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Biggles had high hopes that the rain would hold off, but he was doomed to disappointment. A single raindrop fell. Then another. Soon it was a regular downpour.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Biggles pulled his waterproofs over his running shorts, patiently waiting for Raymond to stop networking and take them to the finish. He wished he'd scrounged a lift with the film crew but Raymond had said he'd only be a minute.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Raymond's 'minute' dragged out to another half an hour before he finally came over to Biggles.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:37 pm

"Sorry about that," he apologised carelessly.."Let's go. We'll get wet just standing around," and he shot off, leaving an annoyed Biggles to follow.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:44 pm

Raymond frowned as they reached the car he'd hired as the support vehicle for this stretch. "Bigglesworth, I had to put down a considerable bond on this car. I can't have you and young Hebblethwaite dripping rainwater all over the seats. I'm afraid you'll have to catch the bus."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:47 pm

A nearby sheep howled with laughter at the thought of there being a bus. Raymond was annoyed that he was being slotted into the category of soft southern who knew nothing. It undid all the good he'd done with his networking.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 pm

But Biggles was quick off the mark. "Since there's no bus we'll have to come with you, sir. We'll both get in the back to keep the damp in one spot. You can get it valeted before you return it. " He opened the back door and scrambled in before the Air Commodore could argue about it.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Raymond sighed loudly. "I'll send you the bill," he stated as he turned the ignition key. Biggles didn't really care. He just wanted to stay dry.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:07 am

Raymond got lost three times on the way to Patterdale, each time because he refused to believe the sat nav was directing him to turn along an actual road rather than a farm track. He wasn't very good at turning around in farm gates.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:09 am

Biggles kept quiet. He was drying out now and he wasn't feeling very charitable with his Chief. Let him get lost as many times as he could. It would mess up the timetable Raymond had insisted on making, a timetable that was rather tight.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:37 am

Eventually they arrived at their overnight pub to find Bertie and Algy ensconced in the bar with the other runners. Biggles suggested to Raymond that he should consider keeping the car and meeting them in Shap the following night after they had completed that day's walk via Kidsty Pike. Raymond said he'd think about it and headed for his room. Biggles and Ginger joined the others at the bar.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:41 am

"He's a menace," he muttered as he took a sip of the half-pint he had allowed himself. "He's got a hidden agenda, I think, otherwise I doubt he would put himself through all this. But what, I wonder?"

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:56 am

"Darned if I know," responded Algy sympathetically. The others were only too well aware of the pressure Raymond placed on Biggles, but also knew that Biggles never stood for any nonsense and the Air Commodore also knew that. Algy hoped they could somehow deter their ultimate boss from further participation in their walking endeavour. He thought he might have a word with Bertie and see what they could come up with.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:03 am

Bertie, when applied to, shook his head. "Not at this precise moment in time, old boy. Once the jolly old brain box has been jogged a bit, something might." He began to polish his eyeglass. "Unless," he began tentatively.

"Yes?" Algy urged him eagerly.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Bertie stared off into space his face thoughtful. He finally turned to Algy with a gleam in his eye. “Here, old boy, what do you think of this?”

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:12 pm

Algy listened eagerly to what Bertie had to say. He nodded a few times, occasionally making suggestions and at the end of an hour they had a plan.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Biggles, meanwhile, was trying to find out who had won the relay and not getting very far. People were suggesting names and teams, only for everyone around them to burst into laughter. He went to find the documentary makers.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:42 pm

They told Biggles not to worry as they'd sort it all out before the various walks and filming were completed and maybe it could be a surprise announcement at the function that had been planned for all the participants to celebrate the event and make the various donations to their respective charities.

"What function?" asked Biggles blankly.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:12 am

Apparently the Charity Walk by the Police was part of a huge drive to make the public more aware of the different type of Charities there were and what they all did. The police Widows and Orphans Fund was one of the most popular. Rumour had it that there was a knighthood for the Head of whichever Police Department could raise the most cash. The function at the end, while not declaring who may be in line for a knighthood, was to draw further attention to the good causes and possibly add more money to the coffers. The winning Department Head would be presenting a cheque to the Royal who was President of the Widows and Orphans Fund.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:21 am

Biggles shrugged. It wasn't likely to involve him. He had a very small department and wasn't trying very hard to raise money. He expected the winners would be one of the big departments based in a big city. He gave up trying to find it there was a winner and went to talk to the other people at the bar.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:25 am

But Algy, when he heard, wondered if this was part of Raymond's plan. It certainly wouldn't hurt Raymond's career if the SAP did well, even if they didn't win. He went back to Bertie to tell him and to finalise their plan for getting Raymond off the walk.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:48 am

"The old Biggles is far too charitable where Raymond's concerned, old bean," muttered Bertie when Algy had filled him in on his latest intel. "Let's put this little scheme of ours into action immediately."

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:03 am

"Hadn't we better wait until tomorrow morning?" Algy suggested. "If Raymond gets a recall to London tonight he's got time to come back again by breakfast time when he discovers everything was a mistake. If we do it tomorrow it'll give us a whole day's breathing space, at least."

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”