RPG mess abouts. A place to be creative
Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Biggles and the Charity Walk

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:16 pm

"Air Police eh? I bet hoofing it is a bit of a change for you, then. How far are you walking?"
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:49 pm

'The Coast to Coast,' Raymond replied. 'Borrowdale to Patterson tomorrow.'

'Why don't you run some of it wi' us? Interforce cooperation an' all, like.' grinned the Viking. 'I'll send inspector ovver.'
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:37 am

"What an excellent idea," Raymond enthused.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:56 am

Biggles did not agree and decided the time had come to point out the ever changing goal posts Raymond was introducing. Walk-ing across the fells on steep, slippery paths (that Biggles was beginning to think existed in the guide book author’s imagination) was one thing, running them was not a sport he was prepared to engage in. He turned to tell Raymond so.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:10 am

But at that moment the drinks and food arrived. The Viking said he'd leave them to their meal and wandered off. Biggles took one look at the toasties, which had come accompanied by a salad and various trimmings and decided to tackle the Air Commodore after he had eaten it.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:51 pm

Biggles finished his toastie at the same time as the local inspector - who was the one running in full legionary kit - came over and the camera crew arrived. He hadn't come up with a convincing reason not to join in whilst eating and now, he glumly recognised, it was too late.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:17 pm

However, he would definitely be having a word with his Chief later. "I'm not sure we have proper footwear suitable for running," he began,"We were only scheduled to walk."

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:19 pm

“Stop being so negative, Bigglesworth,” frowned the Air Commodore. He was about to say more when a group of walkers dressed as nuns entered the cafe. They were walking for a different charity and immediately wanted to join the Cumbrian group’s running venture. Biggles sighed with relief. He thought they might be off the running hook.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Details were being agreed when a group of squaddies were spotted running down the fell and soon they were also in the, now very crowded, cafe. Almost immediately the Challenge was agreed on. Police, including Scotland Yard Vs the Army and the nuns. Losers to donate £50 each to the winners charities.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:20 pm

"We've got to win, Bigglesworth," Raymond said."Think what a boost this would be."

And it wouldn't do you any harm, either Biggles thought, but didn't say it.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:50 pm

Biggles realised that actually having to run was something he couldn't escape, and turned his attention to negotiating the distance as far down as possible.

Various phone calls were made by those present, informing support teams and superiors of the change in plans. Raymond phoned Mo who was very excited and promised to make sure the camera crew covered all of the event.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Biggles sincerely hoped it meant that they wouldn't have to rerun parts of the way again.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:06 pm

It was decided that the race would be run as a relay. Honister to Castlerigg then to Patterdale, two stretches of about nine miles. This was a concession to the Special Air Police, all the other runners being willing to do the full 18 miles. Raymond announced that he would be responsible for transporting his team as necessary as they didn't have a support team. Biggles was relieved that Raymond wasn't planning to run it.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:19 pm

It was agreed that Biggles and Ginger would run the first section with Algy and Bertie tackling the Castlerigg to Patterdale leg.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Biggles and the Charity Walk

Post by Kismet » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 pm

Arrangements were made for the loan of suitable footwear and running gear from members of the Cumbrian police before the nuns, the squaddies and the SAP reconvened in the Youth Hostel they were all spending the night in, the Cumbrian police having homes to go to.

The nuns and the army boys made quite a late night of it. Biggles, lying awake and listening to them, wondered if it would affect their performance in the morning. Experience suggested probably not. They'd be hungover until their first mug of tea and sausage sandwich then caterpult into the rudest of rude good health.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:42 pm

He was proved correct.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:27 am

There was a lot of good natured joshing. Several senior police officers and some army brass showed up, along with the film crew. Short interviews were recorded with a number of the runners. The locals turned up with the running kits for the SAP. There was an air of excitement.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:05 am

Ginger grinned at Biggles. He was looking forward to this. “Should be fun, today,”he said enthusiastically, looking at the beautiful sunshine and clear blue sky.
Last edited by RAAF Spitfire Girl on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:43 am

"For heaven's sake, don't let the Air Commodore hear you," he hissed. "I don't want him thinking we want more of it."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:17 pm

'I used to go trailing over the hills when I was young,' Ginger grinned. 'Sometimes we laid a trail of aniseed and followed the dogs and sometimes it was a paper chase. It was fun.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:34 pm

“Listen laddie,”said Biggle tersely, “if you keep on about this going to be fun, I’ll let you run the whole 18miles or so yourself and forget about it being a relay.”

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:22 pm

"That's okay, chief, I'm up for that," Ginger said cheerfully. "I am the youngest, after all."

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Raymond had come up unnoticed and overheard the last part of their conversation.

"Don't even think about it, Bigglesworth," he said. "I want you in the relay for the great PR this will bring. You are not going to pass that responsibility over to Hebblethwaite."

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:33 am

Biggles bit his tongue for the relay was about to start. The Viking ran through a few rules and also explained briefly what the film crew were doing, and then they were off.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:11 pm

The runners soon settled into their strides and began to spread out. Ginger was amongst the faster runners and towards the front. Biggles ignored his competitive impulse to join him and settled down into a jog that he hoped he could keep up for the distance. The important thing was not to turn an ankle running on this rough, slippery ground. He would be mocked for months if he did and had to drop out.

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”