RPG mess abouts. A place to be creative
Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Re: Biggles and the Charity Walk

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:44 pm

"Just a moment," Raymond called, "do you think you could stand up and walk? On your hands and knees is not the image the head of the Special Air Police Department should be projecting."
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Biggles wasn't sure how Raymond was staying upright on the near vertical path but was quite sure he shouldn't be leaning to try try to get his shot. He looked up at Algy above both of them.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:15 pm

Algy and Bertie were both concentrating on the path and obviously ignoring Raymond. Ginger, too, was focusing on where he was placing his feet. Biggles smiled grimly at his chief and decided to do the same. The object of this morning's exercise, he decided, was to arrive in Ennerdale safely without any broken limbs. The gravelly surface of the path did not give Biggles a great deal of confidence in achieving that goal, because the gravel had a tendency to roll under his boots and cause him to slide a rather alarming distance. Raymond, however, seemed oblivious.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 pm

Raymond slipped and crashed into Biggles. Together they slid and rolled down the hill. There were no trees or shrubs to catch onto, only wet grass and a slidy muddy path.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:23 pm

"Blow this for a game of soldiers," Biggles muttered before he realised who he was entangled with.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:03 pm

Raymond was rather shaken when they rolled to a halt, but neither of them suffered more than bruises, embarrassment . and the unwanted attentions of a couple of fell runners who stopped to make sure they were all right.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 pm

They both managed to staggered towards the others, who had difficulty in hiding their grins. Biggles got out his little cup and put in a little brandy from his Camel Back and offered it to Raymond, who took it and downed it in one.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:25 pm

The rest of the day's walk was easier, although the Youth Hostel was miles outside Ennerdale village, well down the lake. As they strolled along the side of the lake, they came across some very small children, obviously on some sort of field trip. Biggles recognised the young woman he had seen the previous day. This time she had the baby in the rucksack on her back whilst she kept an eye on a toddler armed with a pink net who was determined to transfer the entire contents of the lake into a small plastic tank. The slightly older girl was now lisping out terms such as 'Mosquito larvae' as she examined a water filled jar with an older gentleman. All appeared quite supremely content. Biggles wished he was.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:29 pm

At least now they were on the flat. Biggles was looking forwards to a hot shower, dinner and an early night.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:35 pm

'Have you noticed that not one car has passed us on the road?' Algy suddenly exclaimed.

'Walkers only,' Raymond explained. 'Only the wardens and farmers are allowed to bring cars down here, and they are extremely restricted in the number of journeys they are allowed to make.'

Biggles sighed and helped himself to a little more brandy. Bang went their chances of getting a lift to start them on their way in the morning.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:59 pm

At least the accommodation was an improvement on the previous night. Unfortunately, they were all in the same room, but at least they weren't sleeping close together. Biggles had prudently taken some cotton wool from the first aid kit to make ear plugs.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:05 am

This time Raymond not only snored, but irregularly stopped breathing for nearly a minute at a time. This was even more disturbing than the snoring as everyone wondered if they needed to intervene each time it happened.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:21 am

Eventually Biggles went to fetch a broom and kept it by his bed to poke the Air Commodore with.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:25 am

It appeared that Raymond was used to this sort of treatment, and had no objections to it. Certainly, it didn't wake him up.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:47 am

Next morning they stood surveying the "path" before them beyond Black Sail Hut. Ginger was rather longingly eyeing off a zig-zagging path that vanished up a steep mountain to his right. He refused to believe they would even contemplate taking what appeared to be a near vertical path vanishing upwards to a distant path. Biggles and Algy were staring at the map and discussing their interpretation of the guide book.

Finally Biggles pointed - straight up towards one of the steepest ascents Ginger thought he'd ever seen.

"That's it. Loft Beck. Let's get cracking. The sooner we get this over and done with, the sooner we can find somewhere for a cuppa," stated Biggles, hoping he'd read the map and guide book correctly and that there really was a cafe over the other side of the pass near the old Honister Slate mine.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:08 am

They set off, not without a little grumbling from Ginger. Biggles made a mental note to discuss with the Air Commodore his definition of 'Beat Boundaries'. This certainly was not a boundary, but cut across it and was bordering on hill walking not the Charity Walk which had been described to him.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:07 pm

There was a stream to ford and lots of wet rocks. Biggles saw some people take an easier route and wondered why Raymond had chosen this one. His bruises were stuff and he was aching by the time they reached the top and were treated to another stupendous view. There was a disused tramway from the slate mine to follow down, he was delighted to see.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Eventually they reached the cafe Biggles had hoped would be there. It was open. They all sat down with relief and looked at the menu.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:15 pm

Ten minutes later, they were startled to see a group of people dressed as sheep running towards them, herded by two Vikings and a man in full Roman legionary dress. Apparently, the Cumbrian police had chosen to run every fell in the county rather than round the boundary.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:25 pm

"Quick, get in the queue before that lot come in,"Algy advised Biggles as he looked out of the window at the oncoming crowd. "Four teas, one coffee and five cheese and ham toasties."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:33 pm

'Is insanity catching?' Biggles asked as he stood to walk to the counter.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:07 pm

"More than likely," Algy told him.

Biggles shrugged and walked over to hand over the order. It was only then that he realised he would be paying. Vowing to get even with Algy for rushing him into going up, he paid and returned to the table, carrying a wooden spoon with the number 13 written on it. He stuck it in the stand as instructed, where it could be seen by the waitress, just as the door opened and the Viking walked in.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:39 pm

'Arright Mo,' grinned the Viking. ' Can we pass the bucket round for the Charity Walk?' Mo behind the counter nodded. 'How's it going? Do you want some bacon butties to keep you going?''

Biggles felt indignant. He, also, was doing the Charity Walk but he hadn't been offered bacon butties which the menu quite clearly said would not be served after eleven am. Still, he reflected, he wasn't running dressed as a sheep. It was worth having to substitute cheese and ham for bacon to miss the costume.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:48 pm

The Viking paused by their table. He looked at them each in turn. "On holiday,are you?" He asked conversationally.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Yes,'' said Biggles.

'Scotland Yard Special Air Police also doing the Charity Walk,' Raymond said proudly.

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”