RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Re: The Faraway Tree Again

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:35 pm

The headmaster sighed. Good help was proving so hard to get these days. He didn’t want to let these men go so easily.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:05 pm

A full afternoon shift and I'll see about helping,' the headmaster suggested. 'My time is much more valuable than yours.'
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:09 pm

"We can argue that point," Biggles told him. "Three hours, two till five and you will help regardless."
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:17 pm

'Agreed.' The headmaster clapped his hands sharply and a prefect appeared.

'Please show these visitors to the garden,' he requested.
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:50 pm

The prefect led them through the kitchen, out a stout oak door and into a garden of bewildering size. Orchards, vines and vegetable beds stretched off, losing themselves in the distance.

"Right," said the prefect, handing them each a trolley loaded with containers. "I'll take each of you to your starting point. Work in a straight line and you won't get lost. Weeds go in the brown bins, hoes are on the bottom rack, secateurs are eside them with the gloves. All the harvested crops go in the yellow bins on the top rack. The white bins have fertiliser pellets. You need to sprinkle one handful around each square yard of the tree, vine, or plant your are harvesting. Then you can pick the crops."

Biggles was led to a line of peach trees, von Stalhein to another row of apple trees, Algy found himself faced with a lengthy trellis supporting green beans and Bertie was handed a trowel and told he would be digging potatoes.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:51 pm

"Pretend you're mucking out the stables," Biggles told him, having heard what Bertie had muttered under his breath.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:31 am

Biggles sprinkled his fertiliser and harvested the ripe fruit. He was slightly disappointed that the garden was so prosaic. He'd hoped that he would be picking full plates of school dinners, grown in their entirety on the bushes.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:58 am

He had several containers full of ripe peaches when he came to an intersection in the rows of trees. More peach trees branched off to his right and he decided to follow that line. These peaches were even bigger and looked juicier. He handled them carefully as he didn't want to be covered in juice. When he glanced behind him, he frowned. He could no longer see the turn he had taken. He left his trolley and walked back, but he found himself in a blind peach tree alley. He noticed that the branches grew very thickly right down to the ground and there was no room between the trees for a man to squeeze through.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:57 am

"I can't possibly be lost," he thought to himself as he stood still and took stock of his surroundings.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:46 pm

He ran over his instructions again. He'd hoed, he'd sprinkled the correct amount of fertiliser, he'd put the weeds in the brown bins and the fruit into the yellow ones. All correct. Why were the trees crowding round him like this? He patted the nearest one on the trunk. 'C'mon, laddie. You need to let me through.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:57 pm

The tree emitted a distinct growl. Biggles jumped back, startled, only to bump into the tree behind him.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Its twigs slid up and down Biggles's body in a disturbing way. 'Help,' Biggles yelled.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Algy heard Biggles' rather strangled cry for help, but was having his own problems with the runner beans which had begun wrapping themselves around his legs and arms. He also noticed how the once seemingly unending row of vegetables had become a small but very thick and tall enclosure whilst he'd been engrossed in his gardening and harvesting.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:07 am

Bertie didn't hear Biggles's cry for help, as he was having troubles of his own. A cirvular wall of potatoes separated him from the rest of the garden, a high wall which leaned towards him in a gravity defying way.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:37 am

Von Stalhein was faring no better. The apple trees' branches had appeared to join "hands" and the trees swayed backwards and forwards in a most nauseating manner. Erich thought he was hallucinating as two lines of trees appeared to skip towards each other with him in the middle.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Von Stalhein looked around him for a weapon. There were secateurs and, praise be, some long handled loppers. He seized these and brandished them at the nauseating apple trees. 'Be still,' he commanded 'or I'll chop you down.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:54 pm

The trees immediately stopped. Von Stahlein lowered the loppers. "Show me the way out," he ordered in the same commanding tone.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:55 pm

But the Apple Tress would not be still. A long thin tendril shot out from the closest tree and knocked the threatening garden tools from his hands. Then von Stalhein found himself being held tightly as more tendrils began wrapping themselves around his arms and legs. He shouted for help.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:43 pm

Bertie was using his trowel to poke potatoes from his wall but new spuds were falling into place almost as fast as he could knock them out. He was beginning to despair when he caught a glimpse of Biggles. Biggles had remembered his magic balloon and had used it to escape upwards from his peach trees. Gently, Biggles let a breath of air escape from his balloon so he was low enough to kick away Bertie's wall.
'Grab hold,' he ordered, so Bertie grabbed hold of Biggles legs and the balloon lifted them both away.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:47 pm

"I can see Algy, old boy," Bertie cried, looking down."over there at two o'clock."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:52 pm

Biggles flew his balloon directly over Algy then plummeted it down.

'Grab hold, Algy,' he cried.

Algy did so, and the balloon rose once more into the air, Biggles holding onto the balloon, Bertie holding onto Biggles' legs and Algy holding tight to Bertie's.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:04 am

The couldn't see von Stalhein. The apple trees had formed an impenetrable canopy.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:29 am

Biggles studied the garden before landing in a clear patch. Flying his balloon was playing merry heck with his arm muscles. He picked up some nearby canes and some dried grass.

'We'll set fire to this stuff by the apple trees so they'll move away from Erich.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:44 am

"You can't do that," the Headmaster cried, hurrying up to where the three sat briefly to gather their wits. "What do you think you're playing at? You will be put in detention for not being where you are supposed to be."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:03 am

'You need to put the trees in detention for not being where they are supposed to be,' snapped Biggles. 'Tell them to release our friend or I set fire to them.'

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”