RPG mess abouts. A place to be creative
Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal
My top chap: Biggles
Favorite Aircraft: Paper

The Faraway Tree Again

Post by Kismet » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:22 pm

It was a cold Friday evening and Biggles was wondering whether it was worth leaving his warm fire for the pleasures of the Aero Club when the phone rang.

'Von Stalhein's coming round. Says he's something to ask me,' he reported to Bertie, sat deep in a book on the other side of the fire. 'Strange. I thought he was going down to Marie's cottage this weekend.'

Von Stalhein was his usual elegant and sardonic self as he hung up his coat and accepted a schnapps to keep the cold out. Biggles pulled another chair up to the fire for him and passed him a glassful of the spirit.

'Have you heard from Marie recently?' he asked abruptly. 'I haven't, and when I went down tonight, for a weekend which has been arranged for months, her cottage was empty and the fire stone cold. If she hadn't been in touch with you, then I'm afraid that she's got into trouble at the top of that damn tree in the wood at the end of her garden.'
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire
Favourite Book: Biggles in the Baltic

Re: The Faraway Tree Again

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:56 am

Biggles looked alarmed. "Surely she wouldn't have climbed it without checking with Moonface.
'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie

Post by Fairblue » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:19 am

"Your guess is as good as mine," von Stahlein shrugged.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:19 pm

Biggles scrolled through his phone to see when he'd last heard from Marie. She'd sent him some funny photos of cats in boxes a fortnight ago, but nothing since. He rang her mobile. No answer. He rang her house phone and got the answering machine with its usual message. He checked Instagram, WhatsApp and Facebook. No recent activity.

'Let me pack a bag,' he groaned. We better go down and see what's happened. Have you got a key to her cottage?'
'Major Bigglesworth,' said von Stalhein coldly, 'there are times when I seriously wonder if you were created by the devil just to annoy me.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:31 pm

"No," von Stahlein said. "Don't you?"
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:30 pm

'I think it's somewhere in the deserts near Dubai, or perhaps it was the one the seagull flew off with on some island in the Indian ocean. Anyway, I lost it and I daren't ask Marie for another one. She said the last one was the final one and I must learn to take more care of it.'

StoneRoad
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
My top chap: private
Favorite Aircraft: Spruce Goose
Favourite Book: can't choose just one
Quote: Forewarned is forearmed

Post by StoneRoad » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Bertie stifled a snort but decided to say "what about those 'special' keys Gaskin loaned you last week, old bean, but are they here or in the office ?"
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:40 pm

"Are you seriously suggesting we use a lock pick to get in?" Biggles asked, incredulity in his voice.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:46 pm

'Marie hides her key under the flowerpot by the front door if she's only popping out,' Ginger offered. 'Why don't you use that one? She won't have taken her front door key up the Faraway Tree. She's far too wary to do that.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:42 pm

"I don't suppose you have a clue as to what land is at the top of the tree at the moment or what was the previous one?" Algy's voice came from behind the latest edition of Flight where he had buried himself once the conversation had centred on Marie.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:47 pm

'No,' von Stalhein admitted. 'I'm waiting for ...never mind. No, I don't know and I've more sense then to go and find out by myself and without telling anyone where I'm going, especially as some one as experienced and gifted as Marie might be caught up there.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:53 pm

Algy finally lowered his magazine.

"You're waiting for...what?" he asked.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:04 pm

'We haven't made an announcement yet,' von Stalhein said, but I'm hoping that Marie will do what she wouldn't do all those years ago and marry me. She said that if the Land of Weddings was to come round, then she would.'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Algy glanced swiftly across at Biggles. He was lighting a cigarette and appeared not to have heard, but Algy knew otherwise.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:44 pm

'Land of Weddings?' Biggles grinned. 'That sounds like it would take the sweat out of organising one.Congratulations.' He shook von Stalhein by the hand.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:30 pm

"Has she gone to look then?" Ginger asked."I mean, seems the most obvious move to me."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:11 pm

'Who's coming?' asked Biggles. 'It looks like I'm going to be in Hampshire for the weekend. Who else wants to see what's up the Faraway Tree?'

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:47 pm

"I'll come, but I'm staying at the bottom," Ginger declared."You might need rescuing."

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Bertie wanted to come, and after wrestling with his conscience for a few minutes, so did Algy. The excitement of the Faraway Tree just outweighed the eventual presence of Marie. Just.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:08 pm

And besides, if they could get Marie married off to Erich that would be the icing on the cake for Algy.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:12 pm

Algy shot a look at Biggles and decided that he was up to something. This cheered him up. 'C'mon,' he said happily, 'let's get off and see what's happening.'

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:30 pm

After an uneventful drive down to Hampshire, the four Air Police and von Stalhein stood at the base of the enormous tree. Suddenly the sound of rushing water could be heard and Dame Washalot's latest laundry water cascaded down the trunk. Ginger was soaked.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:09 pm

Everyone laughed. Except Ginger.

Kismet
Air Vice-Marshal
Air Vice-Marshal

Post by Kismet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:30 pm

The red squirrel let down cushions for them to sit on as they were pulled up the tree. Biggles promised to ask Silky the fairy for a spell to dry Ginger off. They would see her at Moonface's. They wanted to find out what was happening before going up the ladder to see the land at the top of the tree.

RAAF Spitfire Girl
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by RAAF Spitfire Girl » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:12 pm

As they bumped their way up the Tree they called out greetings to Mr Whatzisname and old Saucepan who were having tee outside Whatizname's house. The Angry Pixie yelled at them as they passed his door. Dame Washalot unloaded another laundry tub. This time they all were drenched.

Return to “RPGs, Quizzes, and Games”