Air Marshal
My top chap: Bertie
Favorite Aircraft: Spitfire

Biggles is Back

Post by Fairblue » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Postby BigglesReturns » 06 Jun 2017, 11:25

Dear Biggles Fans,

Good News!

An exciting new TV adventure is in development from the makers of Biggles - Adventures in Time.

This time we're sticking firmly to history and our first season joins Biggles and his team as WW2 dawns.

We want your feedback! What would you like to see included (or not) in this brand new outing for James Bigglesworth?

Reply on here or if you have more detailed ideas and want to share them, email me on sam@ravenousfilmworks.com

Thank you for keeping Biggles very much alive.

Sam
ATTACHMENTS
Biggles_A4_Cover_20170604.jpg
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Re: Biggles is Back

by Fairblue » 06 Jun 2017, 18:40

Welcome to the forum, BR. If you are truly going to do this (we've heard this before) you have come to the right place. It would be interesting to hear how you came to want to do this.
The Decision to Survive - A good pilot is both born and made. The best would look upon his work as a combination of adventure and a serious mission. – Major General Sir Frederick Sykes

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by BigglesReturns » 06 Jun 2017, 19:43

I'm just working for the team who produced the Biggles movie - we're serious and have a great team ready to bring you Biggles as you've never seen him before.

Think about which stories and qualities you've personally enjoyed from the Biggles cannon and let us know what you'd like to see incorporated.

This isn't an amateur exercise - the same team behind the 1986 movie are behind this and this time we're doing it right.

S

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Postby BigglesReturns » 06 Jun 2017, 19:43

I'm just working for the team who produced the Biggles movie - we're serious and have a great team ready to bring you Biggles as you've never seen him before.

Think about which stories and qualities you've personally enjoyed from the Biggles cannon and let us know what you'd like to see incorporated.

This isn't an amateur exercise - the same team behind the 1986 movie are behind this and this time we're doing it right.

S

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:06 pm

by Fairblue » 06 Jun 2017, 19:54
BigglesReturns wrote:

S
Thank you. It's very refreshing to hear that. One thing which certainly annoyed me about the film was the total inaccuracy of Biggles & Co. Ginger and Bertie never put in an appearance in the books until much later; Ginger in 1934 and Bertie in 1940. And if you're planning to do a WW2 story there are some fantastic characters to draw upon in addition to the main ones.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by kylie_koyote » 06 Jun 2017, 20:03

I'm so delighted. :D I'm trying not to be giddy, but rather to arrange my thoughts in a rational way.

Are you going to be doing each book as a TV season (8 to 12 episodes) or are you going to be doing each episode as one highly condensed book? What's the projected timetable for filming and release?

I have always thought that "Biggles Fails to Return" would be the best one to make into a screen production, and here are my thoughts as to why:

1. Each of the team features individually in a distinct role.
2. There is significant room for character development, with Biggles, Algy, Bertie, and Ginger each being allowed to have his own time to shine.
3. It's set during war time, which creates an easily identifiable "bad guy" - jackboots, fascist uniforms, invasion armies...
4. There is more than one female character, which is difficult to find in most Biggles stories.

My second choice for a single book would be "Biggles in the Orient". The reasons for this one would be similar to the above, but this one is more of a detective story, and there is a lot more flying being done, and of course that's what most people associate with Biggles. Plus you have the whole of 666 squadron to choose from, there are a lot more characters than just the "core team," and you could showcase everyone "doing his bit" for the war effort. (Tex, Tug, Henry, Taffy, Angus...

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by RAAF Spitfire Girl » 06 Jun 2017, 20:36

Oh my!!!! If this is fair dinkum I, too, am absolutely giddy with delight. I echo Fairblues's comments regarding the inaccuracies in the film so am relieved to read your comment that this time it is intended to get it right! Now, my thoughts regarding an appropriate book to draw on for the series would also draw upon kylie_kyote's comments regarding your intentions.

From my perspective, if you were to follow Biggles through WWII, I'd suggest commencing with Biggles in the Baltic. It is set at the very start of the war and has edge of the seat action throughout. It also features von Stalhein. Defies the Swastika would also include all these features.

I also would love to see Spitfire Parade featured as this would be an excellent vehicle for introducing the permanent members of the Squadron and allowing each one to feature.

As kylie has observed, Fails to Return is definitely one which would lend itself to a venture such as you are mooting, as would Sweeps the Desert, Orient, and Delivers the Goods.

Do you and the team behind this project envisage this being a one season series, or would you feature each book as a season?

Very excited at the prospect of this become reality.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:07 pm

by kylie_koyote » 06 Jun 2017, 20:41

Sam, where is your team at in the planning process? Have you got actors signed on the dotted line and writers penning busily away, or is this still in the brainstorming phase? Approximately how long before this actually shows up on television - are we talking about months or years?

How much of the flying sequences will be real aircraft and how much will be CGI?

I've got a bazillion questions, but I'm very, very excited about the prospects.

:bounce: :bounce:

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by BigglesReturns » 06 Jun 2017, 20:51

At the moment it's being written and we have an amazing and very experienced group to handle the aeronautics.

Great responses and suggestions so far, keep them flying!

We want to keep the fans as involved as possible so keep thinking!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by kylie_koyote » 06 Jun 2017, 21:00

If I had one criticism of the WW2 stories - and I love them all, so it's not really a criticism, maybe more of an observation - it is that "Biggles Delivers the Goods" and "Biggles in Borneo" have a very similar plot.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 06 Jun 2017, 21:48

Can I ask, BR, if you have ever read any of the books? We are all fans here and know Biggles and Co inside out so we could perhaps make certain assumptions which you might not know. So I would just like to say that if you want to ask any questions at all, please don't hesitate.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:08 pm

by 266 » 06 Jun 2017, 22:55

If this is for real, brilliant!

As for getting it right, WEJ had it right. Beware of scriptwriters who can "do it better". You don't rewrite Shakespeare.

My advice? Get the aviation bits right, get the history right, above all don't lose the sense of humour. Too often the (frequently sarcastic) banter between characters is taken seriously, with critics presenting them as humourless prats. The era, and service life, generated a facetiousness which is sometimes missed in our modern world. To me it is this twisted wit that makes the lads so human.

Good luck with the project.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by Wanderer » 07 Jun 2017, 00:02

The best thing I've heard in years! Are you going to base the series on the original stories, or create new ones? The latter would require much effort to keep the characters true to canon, which is I think the most important thing, but with all the squadron characters fleshed out a bit and not just cardboard props, which tended to happen in the original movie (complete with Ginger who was not even born in WWI!!). There is no need for a "new" hero, and if you need an American, there's always Tex. Getting the ages of the actors consistent (or at least made up to look it) would help: by the time 666 Squadron is formed, Biggles and Algy are in their early 40s, most of the flying officers in their early-mid 20s, Bertie and Angus maybe 30-ish.

I'm sure you'll find plenty on this board willing to consult :-) All the comments made are great, but especially 266's about not taking the words too literally, but seeing the underlying humour and banter. Also the compassion, these are stories about trust, loyalty and companionship in the face of overwhelming odds and danger. There is something closely approaching a father-son relationship between Biggles and some of his men, especially Ginger and Tug. Getting the technical stuff right is also important, and there is a chance here to ignore some of WEJ's attempts to put WWI aeronautics into WWII aircraft and tactics. You might get a few clues reading our fanfic here :-)

All the best.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by Wanderer » 07 Jun 2017, 00:02

The best thing I've heard in years! Are you going to base the series on the original stories, or create new ones? The latter would require much effort to keep the characters true to canon, which is I think the most important thing, but with all the squadron characters fleshed out a bit and not just cardboard props, which tended to happen in the original movie (complete with Ginger who was not even born in WWI!!). There is no need for a "new" hero, and if you need an American, there's always Tex. Getting the ages of the actors consistent (or at least made up to look it) would help: by the time 666 Squadron is formed, Biggles and Algy are in their early 40s, most of the flying officers in their early-mid 20s, Bertie and Angus maybe 30-ish.

I'm sure you'll find plenty on this board willing to consult :-) All the comments made are great, but especially 266's about not taking the words too literally, but seeing the underlying humour and banter. Also the compassion, these are stories about trust, loyalty and companionship in the face of overwhelming odds and danger. There is something closely approaching a father-son relationship between Biggles and some of his men, especially Ginger and Tug. Getting the technical stuff right is also important, and there is a chance here to ignore some of WEJ's attempts to put WWI aeronautics into WWII aircraft and tactics. You might get a few clues reading our fanfic here :-)

All the best.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by BigglesReturns » 07 Jun 2017, 07:37

No time travel. No sci-fi. That's a promise.

We're going to use the best of the many stories and throw Biggles and his Squadron into key moments of WW2 such as the evacuation of Dunkirk, the Battle of Britain and Biggles meets the Night Witches of Russia among many others.

We're already there on the age difference and think that dynamic is wonderful as are the 'class differences' between Ginger and the others.

It's going to be a character-based thriller pulling at the heartstrings as well as a great edge-of-your seat adventure. Thanks for all the insightful comments we really love the enthusiasm!

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by Wanderer » 07 Jun 2017, 11:39

BigglesReturns wrote:
We're already there on the age difference and think that dynamic is wonderful as are the 'class differences' between Ginger and the others...

... and don't forget our Cockney Tug, too. As the psychiatrist said of Basil Fawlty, "there's enough material there for an entire conference." Tug is the only one WEJ allows to have a chip on his shoulder, Ginger and Ferocity are of a fairly similar social background but have none of the attitude. But, most importantly, Tug's attitude improves with time.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by Frecks » 07 Jun 2017, 12:17

I am getting really interested in this idea now if you are going to use the characters from the books in the way WEJ created them. I love your ideas. Did you know that Biggles features in a couple of the Gimlet books also written by WEJ. He flew the commandos in and out of France for quite a few of their adventures.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:09 pm

by kylie_koyote » 07 Jun 2017, 14:23
BigglesReturns wrote:
No time travel. No sci-fi. That's a promise.

I'm quite fond of the original film, as it is how I met Biggles (age 10) :love: and I guess you could say it affected my life greatly from that moment on. I don't even mind the time travel, but the thing I find hardest of all to believe ;) is that Jim Ferguson opens his apartment door, in NYC, at night, to a complete stranger. :lol: :lol:

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Postby kylie_koyote » 08 Jun 2017, 14:10

Sam, if you need any extras, I'm sure loads of us would be happy to volunteer.

Plus, a group of us played dress-up at the RAF Montrose museum last summer, and we look quite spiffy in uniform. :lol:

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

by tiffinata » 09 Jun 2017, 08:32

Biggles at Dunkirk and Biggles meets The Night Witches?

Sounds like a fanfic.
There's good fanfic and bad fanfic,and sometimes a fine line between.
Don't lose the characters when you introduce a non WEJ storyline. Damned hard sometimes.
If it comes to fruition, it could be a wonderful thing.

Have you read any Gimlet?

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Fairblue » 09 Jun 2017, 08:49
tiffinata wrote:

Biggles at Dunkirk would have to be without 666 squadron. Bertie joined the newly-formed 666 after his return from France when, as he put it
"I did three months on the aerodrome at Abbéville before the Frenchies went wallop. So it would have to be a special op.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:11 pm

by Tommy Smith » 09 Jun 2017, 09:37

Tough one, as you will be under pressure to be 'pc', which seems to have gone mad, and appeal to a 'modern' audience. I would sooner see real aircraft than naf cgi and major on real character interaction and strong values than the stuff they seem to pump out today.

EDIT

And that is a two seater in your pic.

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Post by Fairblue » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:12 pm

by OzBiggles1963 » 09 Jun 2017, 09:40
Fairblue wrote:
tiffinata wrote:

Biggles at Dunkirk would have to be without 666 squadron. Bertie joined the newly-formed 666 after his return from France when, as he put it
"I did three months on the aerodrome at Abbéville before the Frenchies went wallop. So it would have to be a special op.

Speaking of 'special' ops, has anyone mentioned von Stalhein? Perhaps a rollicking adventure in the style of Biggles Defies the Swastika...plenty of action & suspense here. Hmm, who in this day & age could portray EvS?? :D

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Tommy Smith » 09 Jun 2017, 09:58

Got to have a good villain. Decent clothes, fortitude, quirky humour, a wide mix of characters all pulling together, Bentleys, flying...Lush. Bertie nipping home Downton Abbey style in a Spit and Ginger having to go back up north to see his Pa.. oh the potential...

Dammit, I gave away the telly and stopped watching tv. I wonder how they are going to handle the smoking aspect? I may have to start again to cope with all the excitement. :smoking:

Fairblue
Air Marshal
Air Marshal

Postby Frecks » 09 Jun 2017, 10:41

Yes so many ideas and so many possibilities. I do not think any of the main characters were around for Dunkirk. Bertie joined 666 right at the start of the Squadron. There is always the danger that any new film or TV show will lose the characters as WEJ portrayed them. If Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Who can be turned into women I am sure Biggles can be turned into Worrals :o :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”